MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dome Lights Won't Go off? WTF?!

Go down 
+3
N2rock
JK-fredd0
jkdrone
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Dome Lights Won't Go off?  WTF?! Empty
PostSubject: Dome Lights Won't Go off? WTF?!   Dome Lights Won't Go off?  WTF?! Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 7:40 pm

Ok guys, I'm a little stumped.

Got back in the jeep after three days parked, turned it on, heard a loud noise when it started (had left the A/C on when I turned it off, sometimes it sounds like its going to blow up when you turn it on w/ AC on, thought this might be it, but..) and then...

First, my TPMS warning comes on. Odd, just checked the pressure before I left, and it's 78F out...

So, I turn the vehicle off and then back on, no loud noise, and the TPMS is still on. *shrug* will deal with it later, start to drive off (get about ten feet), TPMS goes off. Get another ten feet, and then realize my dome lights are still on - check the knob, turn it all the way off, and well, they're still on.

Drive down a ways, go to the store, spend about 15 minutes in the store, come out and the dome lights are still on. Pull the fuse, bye bye lights.

Now, I've disconnected all of the doors, pulled every relay in the fuse box, and the damn lights won't go off. Just to check and see if the handle switch was bad, I tried several times - turning to the "interior lights on" position causes the lights to get perceptibly brighter, and when switching back off the "on" position, they turn off for a half a second and then come back on.

The only thing that cuts it off is to remove the fuse for the dome lights, that also turns off the switch for hazards and ESP, or remove the M20 fuse, completely disabling the jeep.

Any ideas on where to look from here?

!c
Back to top Go down
JK-fredd0
Got No Life
Got No Life
JK-fredd0

Number of posts : 812
Rig : 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Dome Lights Won't Go off? WTF?!   Dome Lights Won't Go off?  WTF?! Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 8:09 pm

could be a bad multifunction switch.... the thing that turns the domelights on.. they go bad very often in the SRT-4s...

let me run to my jeep to check something out...
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Dome Lights Won't Go off? WTF?!   Dome Lights Won't Go off?  WTF?! Icon_minitimeThu 09 Apr 2009, 8:00 am

You probably know... The rear dome light can be turned on by pushing on it. Did you check to make sure it wasn't in the "on" position?
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Dome Lights Won't Go off? WTF?!   Dome Lights Won't Go off?  WTF?! Icon_minitimeThu 09 Apr 2009, 8:37 am

That dome pushing rear light crap just happened to me yesterday!! lol!

I couldn't figure out WTH that damn dome light wouldn't turn off...so after opening and shutting all the doors like 25 times and turning the lights on and off 30 times...I found out that one of my passengers "accidentally" pushed the dome light and had it on! ugh! Funny afterwards though!

:duh: :dunce:
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

PostSubject: Re: Dome Lights Won't Go off? WTF?!   Dome Lights Won't Go off?  WTF?! Icon_minitimeThu 09 Apr 2009, 12:38 pm

n2rock - wasn't I the one that showed you that back at Long's? =)

I know it's not that the rear dome switch was pressed (I was never near it when the problem began - the dome light was clearly off when I got in the jeep and the problem didn't start until I started the jeep, and I also tried that early on).

I got a suggestion to short the canbus and reset it to see if it's a software issue.

Now, it could be that the rear dome switch simply fried and shorted out, and I can test that pretty easily. I'll try that after re-setting the canbus.

I'm also noting that the dome light and the interior lights in the dash column are on the same circuit. My LED panel lights are in that circuit, so I will try removing them to see if they have caused a problem.

!c
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Dome Lights Won't Go off? WTF?!   Dome Lights Won't Go off?  WTF?! Icon_minitimeThu 09 Apr 2009, 2:26 pm

take out the bulbs..
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Dome Lights Won't Go off? WTF?!   Dome Lights Won't Go off?  WTF?! Icon_minitimeThu 09 Apr 2009, 2:29 pm

jonsjeep wrote:
take out the bulbs..

Bet that would work
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

PostSubject: Re: Dome Lights Won't Go off? WTF?!   Dome Lights Won't Go off?  WTF?! Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 4:07 pm

Gah :duh:

Spent all freaking morning and afternoon, tore apart entire dash column - figured while I was in there, I'd tap into the keyed cig. lighter for one of my hookups. I realize I have no power in keyed cig lighter. Disassemble everything, trace everything... Give up, put it all back together, get lunch, come back, tear it all apart again - REFUSE TO SUBMIT TO FAILURE.

Spend another couple of hours, run new wires to new fuse locations, totally gave up on dome lights, pulled the harnesses from them, gave up on it all. Decided to fix my mountaineer rack...

The fracking rack had slid down, and shorted out the rear dome light wires. That took out the cigarette lighter.

I fixed the rack and everything else was fixed with it.

What a fracking waste of time. No

!c
Back to top Go down
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Number of posts : 614
Rig : Yellow '08 JK 4 door
specs. : 3" Teraflex lift, 35x12.5x17 KM2
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Dome Lights Won't Go off? WTF?!   Dome Lights Won't Go off?  WTF?! Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 1:39 am

Dam dude. You are my hero. I would have said fuck it, pulled the bulb, and threw a flash light back there 5 hours ago.

After the install party a few months ago I left George's house at dark. I saw the back cargo light on and did the column switch a few dozen times. I then banged on it a little. Then read the book and pressed the light to turn it off. I had to laugh at myself. My son and Devon were playing in there and much have hit it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dome Lights Won't Go off? WTF?!   Dome Lights Won't Go off?  WTF?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dome Lights Won't Go off? WTF?!
Page 1 of 1