MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ABS & ESP lights on...

Go down 
+5
terrahawk
jkdrone
N2rock
JK_JOE
TxRubiRig
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

Number of posts : 1278
Rig : black '07 Rubicon
specs. : 4.5" Long Arm, 35 KM2's
Registration date : 2008-04-15

ABS & ESP lights on... Empty
PostSubject: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug 2009, 8:34 am

The other day my driver's side rear electrical wire (assuming that goes to a sensor) got cut. The ABS and both ESP lights came on.

figured OK, easy fix, splice the wire back together right.

well I guess not, wire is now connected back together, BUT all 3 lights are still on.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Back to top Go down
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 815
Rig : R.I.P.
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug 2009, 9:31 am

computer may need to be re-set (flashed?)
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug 2009, 9:38 am

I would try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and see if that resets it. But then again, I'm sure you have some error codes that need cleared. So maybe those need to be cleared in order to get rid of the lights.

Or do the George method and pull the fuse Wink
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug 2009, 9:55 am

N2rock wrote:
I would try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and see if that resets it. But then again, I'm sure you have some error codes that need cleared. So maybe those need to be cleared in order to get rid of the lights.

Or do the George method and pull the fuse Wink

Supposedly, there's a key/pedal combination to do a complete reset, after having shorted the ECU. I haven't found that to be of any added benefit, however, you can quickly and easily clear the ECU by shorting it -- that is: disconnect both terminals of the battery, take the terminal wires (that would've connected to the battery), and press the two together for thirty seconds. All you're doing here is shorting out the capacitors in the ECU and causing them to drain rapidly. Re-connect, and you're ready to go. This way you don't have to wait 10min+ for the caps to drain on their own.

I've done this what seems like a thousand times, and it's generally effective at clearing codes. Of course, it will reset your learned running patterns too. Oh well. =)

!c
Back to top Go down
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug 2009, 10:36 am

i guess the comp reset would also make the speedo go back to norm too, huh..ugh
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug 2009, 12:01 pm

TxRubiRig wrote:
i guess the comp reset would also make the speedo go back to norm too, huh..ugh

no... the tire size is stored. Resetting the comp won't change that.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug 2009, 2:37 pm

NO THE RED WIRE CUT THE RED WIRE!

LOL, guess you were wiring up the 7-pin harness.
Back to top Go down
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeTue 18 Aug 2009, 2:50 pm

LOL...nah thats been done...this was limb debris
Back to top Go down
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug 2009, 6:30 am

did the battery thing, steering wheel straight....lights still on...ugh, to the shop it will go i guess
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug 2009, 10:55 am

Oh you JK's...

Heh, but seriously, that sucks. Let us know what the problem was.
Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug 2009, 11:41 am

Hey Joe...

Check your cruise control and see if it works.. Sounds like a clock spring issue a lot of people are having...
Back to top Go down
Sunburst JK
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Sunburst JK

Number of posts : 84
Rig : 09 JK
specs. : 6 Speed, 3:73, 2 1/2" BB, 32"mt, 2"wheel spacer, Cat-back exhaust
Registration date : 2009-08-07

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug 2009, 1:28 am

If you havnt found the answer yet please allow me Shocked Its as simple as an alignment. When your toe is out just a little in the front then it throws your esp in a loop. Your traction light will be on as if you turned it off, however you still wont be able to spin your tires. Get an alignment and your problems will go away.
Back to top Go down
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 7:36 am

TxCrawler wrote:
Hey Joe...

Check your cruise control and see if it works.. Sounds like a clock spring issue a lot of people are having...

...hmmm, sounds like ya might be onto something...cruise is not working...well it doesn't even turn on
Back to top Go down
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 7:38 am

Sunburst JK wrote:
If you havnt found the answer yet please allow me Shocked Its as simple as an alignment. When your toe is out just a little in the front then it throws your esp in a loop. Your traction light will be on as if you turned it off, however you still wont be able to spin your tires. Get an alignment and your problems will go away.

thanks for the input, but I seriously don't think that is my prob (vehicles tracks pretty good)....even if alignment was out, how and why would that effect my ABS

...Spring Creek, always gotta be something when I leave that place...ugh...lol
Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 8:16 am

TxRubiRig wrote:
TxCrawler wrote:
Hey Joe...

...hmmm, sounds like ya might be onto something...cruise is not working...well it doesn't even turn on

You're having the same issue I'm having, mine has been like that since January. I just haven't taken it in yet, but they will probably deny my warranty claim any way. And more than likely it is the clock spring, or what the call a clock spring.
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 11:25 am

i think it will be a flash issue
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeFri 21 Aug 2009, 11:43 am

Oh oh oh - since we're throwing stuff out there, I blame the government. They have sent out the CIA to start triggering vehicle problems so you'll go trade it in in the cash-for-clunkers program.

jocolor

!c
Back to top Go down
Sunburst JK
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Sunburst JK

Number of posts : 84
Rig : 09 JK
specs. : 6 Speed, 3:73, 2 1/2" BB, 32"mt, 2"wheel spacer, Cat-back exhaust
Registration date : 2009-08-07

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitimeSun 23 Aug 2009, 12:57 pm

I had the exact same thing happen to mine. It was caused by the alignment. If the toe is off in the front it tells the abs system that the tires are slipping. When this happens the traction light will stay on. Obviously the cruise control will not work if the vehicle thinks it is slipping.................... As for your " road alignment test" which is garbage, it can be out of alignment. There are 3 major factors that can affect a proper alignment. Camber which is the angle of the wheel to chassis. Caster which is wheel in relation to absorber angle. Toe which is the direction of which the tire points. If the front tires are even slightly toe'd in or out it can cause this issue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ABS & ESP lights on...   ABS & ESP lights on... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ABS & ESP lights on...
Page 1 of 1