MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need some info on a CB radio.

Go down 
+6
TxRubiRig
Mr.RonGilbert
redneckhouston
The Raven
N2rock
NTX JK
10 posters
AuthorMessage
NTX JK
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
NTX JK

Number of posts : 25
Rig : 07 JK Sahara Unlimited
specs. : Stock except for some Smielys
Registration date : 2009-04-29

Need some info on a CB radio. Empty
PostSubject: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 4:40 pm

I am looking for a CB radio that I can use when my buddies and I go camping. I really don't want to permanetly mount a CB in, (since we will only use it a hande full of times through the year) so I am looking for a decent radio I can take in and out fairly easy. Does anyone know if there is such a thing, and I do not want walk talkies. I want something I can plug up and not have to worry about batteries.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 4:47 pm

Cobra 75 (that's what I have)

Midland 75-822 (that's what my wife has)

Both are easy to remove. The Midland can actually double as a handheld- it comes with a battery pack and small antenna for handheld use. But the distance handheld is crap (100 yards or less).

With either one, you still must have a good antenna mounted, which also means running coax cable from the antenna to the CB. But of course you can always remove the antenna when not in use.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
The Raven
Poster child
Poster child
The Raven

Number of posts : 313
Rig : 09 X ulimited **1/2 doors**
specs. : 2.5" TF BB 35" KM
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 5:51 pm

my vote is for the cobra 75, a cheaper route (my route) is to get the cobra 19 from walmart and put a cig lighter on the end. then just remove it when not needed.

but as steve said, you need a good ant mount no matter what you decide.
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 5:55 pm

N2rock wrote:
Cobra 75 (that's what I have)

Midland 75-822 (that's what my wife has)

Both are easy to remove. The Midland can actually double as a handheld- it comes with a battery pack and small antenna for handheld use. But the distance handheld is crap (100 yards or less).

With either one, you still must have a good antenna mounted, which also means running coax cable from the antenna to the CB. But of course you can always remove the antenna when not in use.

look at the cobra 76.......similar to the cobra 75 bu easier to instal/remove
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 7:43 pm

I like the Midland and now keep it as a spare or to hand to someone who doesn't have one or in case they have to take their tire carrier (including the antenna mount) off the back of their rig......

Cobra or Midland = you cannot go wrong.

Midland as a handheld - it runs on batteries, a rechargeable pack or cig plug :
Need some info on a CB radio. 75-822_large

Or mounted in the heap:
Need some info on a CB radio. PC270122-1
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 7:56 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
hand to someone who doesn't have one or in case they have to take their tire carrier (including the antenna mount) off the back of their rig......

hmmmm... wonder who that was?
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeWed 06 May 2009, 8:12 pm

it happens...
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeThu 07 May 2009, 1:11 am

yea but how can you argue with "illuminated communicator & illuminated NEON antenna"

daauumm, you would be the envy of every rice burner in town

fo' shizzle!!!!!!

the flip side is it IS a cobra 75 guts, and the whole package cb&antenna is selling for under 50bux shipped

Need some info on a CB radio. 76-XTR_l

[size=30]
Manufacturer:

• Cobra Electronics

• Part number:
    76-XTR
  • Description:
    Cobra Electronics is a
    leading global
    manufacturer of mobile
    communications products
    for consumers, having
    attained a leadership
    position in every market
    in which it currently
    does business. Cobra has
    a track record of
    designing innovative and
    award-winning products.
    PRODUCT FEATURES: Dual
    Watch; Public Address;
    Illuminated
    Communicator
    ; 40
    Channels; Illuminated
    LCD Display
    ; No Service
    Fees;
  • Neon Illuminated
    Antenna;
    Remote Mount
    Installation; Maximum
    Power Allowed.

• General
  • Product Type
    CB radio

• Radio System
  • Channels
    40-channel
  • Power
    4 watts
  • Controls
    Dual watch button,
    Power/volume knob, CB/PA
    switch, Squelch knob
  • FCC
    Licensing Requirements

Not required

[/size]
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

Number of posts : 1278
Rig : black '07 Rubicon
specs. : 4.5" Long Arm, 35 KM2's
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeThu 07 May 2009, 9:52 am

Actually the cool thing about this was is the PA addition...why couldn't they do that w/the 75...driving down the road, I would no longer need a horn, just push a button and cuss'em or whatever
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeThu 07 May 2009, 10:12 am

That would look good in your blue Prius

redneckhouston wrote:
yea but how can you argue with "illuminated communicator & illuminated NEON antenna"

daauumm, you would be the envy of every rice burner in town

fo' shizzle!!!!!!

the flip side is it IS a cobra 75 guts, and the whole package cb&antenna is selling for under 50bux shipped

Need some info on a CB radio. 76-XTR_l

[size=30]
Manufacturer:

• Cobra Electronics

• Part number:
    76-XTR
  • Description:
    Cobra Electronics is a
    leading global
    manufacturer of mobile
    communications products
    for consumers, having
    attained a leadership
    position in every market
    in which it currently
    does business. Cobra has
    a track record of
    designing innovative and
    award-winning products.
    PRODUCT FEATURES: Dual
    Watch; Public Address;
    Illuminated
    Communicator
    ; 40
    Channels; Illuminated
    LCD Display
    ; No Service
    Fees;
  • Neon Illuminated
    Antenna;
    Remote Mount
    Installation; Maximum
    Power Allowed.

• General
  • Product Type
    CB radio

• Radio System
  • Channels
    40-channel
  • Power
    4 watts
  • Controls
    Dual watch button,
    Power/volume knob, CB/PA
    switch, Squelch knob
  • FCC
    Licensing Requirements

Not required

[/size]
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

Number of posts : 2929
specs. : Ahhhhh Missing A Few Parts!
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeThu 07 May 2009, 3:45 pm

the cobra 75 and 76 are great radios for someone who does not want a perm install, but keep in mind that in the case that one of those quit working you are SOL.

I talked to my CB repair guy about those radios he says they are great for someone who is only going to use them every once in a while and have a poor resale value after they have been used.

now the Cobra 19 is cheap a little bit bigger but has the cig lighter option, has a much better resale value and is repairable to a point.

now if you are just looking to talk to folks on a short distance then any of those above are good. Mind you none of those can been peeked and tuned above 8-12 watts and will not get you out very far maybe a mile with a good antenna set up.

oh and on another note....I just got my Mothers Day gift well I have not got it yet I ordered it and should see it in the mail box any day now.......I got another Cobra 29 ltd classic chrome edition....to go in my tow rig.......I am gonna out fit it just like my other one with the jeweled knobs...hehe....I even had it peeked and tuned so it will be ready for install! I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockrash4x4.com
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeThu 07 May 2009, 3:51 pm

jeeperjennie wrote:

now the Cobra 19 is cheap a little bit bigger but has the cig lighter option, has a much better resale value and is repairable to a point.

Um... it sells for $35 at Walmart. How much resale market is there for that? I mean, list it on craiglist and you might get $5 for it from someone that is too cheap to pay $35 for a brand new one lol!
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeThu 07 May 2009, 4:01 pm

jeeperjennie wrote:
will not get you out very far maybe a mile with a good antenna set up.

I wouldn't say that. When we did the install of Skoalman's, he and I both on Cobra 75's with Cooltech antenna mounts, picked each other up for approx 4 miles.

I know me and a truck driver buddy were able to communicate back & forth for 7 miles. Obviously his rig was tuned & peaked. But that just allowed us to communicate the 3-4 miles further than me and Skoalman were able to.

Now Shannon's Midland- 1 mile was the max.
Back to top Go down
justinajeep
Poster child
Poster child
justinajeep

Number of posts : 388
Rig : 2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ
specs. : 2" budget lift with rough country shocks
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 3:13 am

I have a question do those two way radios you can buy in a pair and cb's use the same frequency?
Back to top Go down
http://outlawjeep.webs.com/
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 7:55 am

justinajeep wrote:
I have a question do those two way radios you can buy in a pair and cb's use the same frequency?

IF they are CB, then yes. But most of those are not CB. And the ones that are CB don't have very much range.
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 1:49 pm

N2rock wrote:
jeeperjennie wrote:

Um... it sells for $35 at Walmart. How much resale market is there for that? I mean, list it on craiglist and you might get $5 for it from someone that is too cheap to pay $35 for a brand new one lol!

you can sell them on ebay all day long for 25.99 and 15.00 for shipping, I have been doing tons of shopping on ebay for CB I just got a new on for my truck and am looking for a new on for George's Jeep
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 1:52 pm

N2rock wrote:
jeeperjennie wrote:
will not get you out very far maybe a mile with a good antenna set up.

I wouldn't say that. When we did the install of Skoalman's, he and I both on Cobra 75's with Cooltech antenna mounts, picked each other up for approx 4 miles.

I know me and a truck driver buddy were able to communicate back & forth for 7 miles. Obviously his rig was tuned & peaked. But that just allowed us to communicate the 3-4 miles further than me and Skoalman were able to.

Now Shannon's Midland- 1 mile was the max.

you are right there, but the range does vary IO guess I should have added that if you have a 75 or 76 you need a good ant. and good cables and you will get out a little bit further. Either way they are both good CB'a if you just want to have a CB that you can take in and out or if you want something small that will not be in the way
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 391

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitimeWed 13 May 2009, 8:13 pm

justinajeep wrote:

It depends on whether they are marked as "CB" or "FRS" - FRS will only talk FRS, and CB only CB. FRS is low-power, easy (run 'em on a few batteries) and inexpensive, but is only line-of-sight. Well, I'd say CB is line-of-sight too, but your "vision" is a lot further with CB, if ya get my drift. =)

We use FRS on the kayak, and when cross-country hiking (communicate while finding routes). I'd guess it'd be just fine for wheeling too, except everyone else is using CB. =)

!c
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need some info on a CB radio.   Need some info on a CB radio. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need some info on a CB radio.
Page 1 of 1