MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Galveston Wheeling?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Galveston Wheeling? Empty
PostSubject: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeThu 02 Jul 2009, 11:21 pm

We are spending the weekend on the west end of Galveston, at Jamaica Beach - is there somewhere on this side of the island that allows vehicles on the beach and, if so, is there somewhere worth wheeling at? Not a "wheeling" trip but if I can get some in I am going to do it. We can swim, fish build sand castles.... whatever it takes to get some Jeepin' in!
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeThu 02 Jul 2009, 11:40 pm

You can drive all over the beach at San Luis Pass -- when you get to the toll bridge, instead of going on it, take the paths at either side. Not a lot of wheeling to be had, but some deep sand to drive through!

!c
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeThu 02 Jul 2009, 11:41 pm

oh yeah - and expect it to be crowded as all get-out this weekend =)

!c
Back to top Go down
skoalman
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
skoalman

Number of posts : 525
Rig : Black Unlimited Rubicon
specs. : Starting to add stuff now.....
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 6:04 am

Ron, you can wheel the entire beach of Follets Island, (San Luis Pass to Freeport).

I don't think the destruction down there was quite on the level as Bolivar.

Be on the lookout for wrecks and sunken ships in the surf....I have caught some of my biggest trout in the surf this time of year around those wrecks.

Have fun. cheers
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 8:49 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 12:45 pm

Hey Ron...let me know how it is and where you go. I'm having company come over for a week here shorty and I'd like to take them to the beach and go wheel around on the sand and maybe even beach camp one night. I'll wait to get your beach report and if it will be worth the trip.

Boy...I've never surf fished...sounds like FUN!
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 7:39 pm

Drone and Skoal nailed it. San Luis right by the toll bridge is the place to be. The water is nice, not muddy brown like the rest of Galveston, and the beach is huge. It was busy all over today for obvious reasons. Plenty of room to throw up a tent or at least a canopy for some shade. You can bring ATVs and there are a few places to "wheel" but I wouldn't consider it to be somewhere to go wheeling. Plenty of sand to get into and people (dumbasses) to pull out of the sand. Jeeps rule the beach!!!

There is a spot just west of Jamaica Beach where I can place the RV right on the beach!!! That will be our next destination, better than parking at a RV park and driving to the beach.

I will try and get some pix up tomorrow.

G
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 8:26 pm

One more question... do they allow you to stay out on the beach all night? I don't want to set up camp only to get run off when the sun goes down....
Back to top Go down
skoalman
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
skoalman

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 9:17 pm

Ron, over on Bolivar, you could camp on the beach as long as you wanted to. You could stay there a month if you could make it. I know a guy down by High Island that had a camp built out of plyboard and sticks, and he was down there, I know for over 6 months before the storm.

Now, after the storm, I don't know....and I'm not real familiar with SLP or Follets Island for camping, but I can't imagine it being any different. You might call GCSO or Freeport PD and see what they say.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeFri 03 Jul 2009, 9:34 pm

skoalman wrote:
Ron, over on Bolivar, you could camp on the beach as long as you wanted to. You could stay there a month if you could make it. I know a guy down by High Island that had a camp built out of plyboard and sticks, and he was down there, I know for over 6 months before the storm.

Now, after the storm, I don't know....and I'm not real familiar with SLP or Follets Island for camping, but I can't imagine it being any different. You might call GCSO or Freeport PD and see what they say.

Thanks, I will wave down one of the patrols tomorrow. I saw them make passes through several times throughout the day. Figure they will be the ones who would be running folks off.... if there is some kind of rule.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeSat 04 Jul 2009, 8:27 pm

Today was fun. Other than being crowded like a mother!!! We had our own little piece of beach and enjoyed every minute of it. We were ready to bail after 7 hours of it though. Back to the Taj for a cool shower and some hot BBQ.

AK - IMO, go to the beach at San Luis pass, like Drone said. It kicks ass.

Galveston Wheeling? P7041874
Galveston Wheeling? P7041875

There were so many people stuck that you could spend the day pulling people out of the sand. I helped a few..... people should know their vehicles limitations, makes it a PITA for those of us who think we do!
Back to top Go down
The Raven
Poster child
Poster child
The Raven

Number of posts : 313
Rig : 09 X ulimited **1/2 doors**
specs. : 2.5" TF BB 35" KM
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeMon 06 Jul 2009, 7:11 am

for the last couple of weeks we've been going to Bryan beach. water is clean, beach in clean, you can camp, drive etc.. also the few times we've gone it hasn't been crowded at all. we are going again this friday night and staying at the Quintanna RV park. awesome park, they are on the beach but it's a pedistian beach. So stay there and drive about 2.5 miles to get to Bryan and drive on the beach and tailgate for the day. best park is i can get there in about 1 1/2 hrs from Tomball. but we just picked up our new camper and i think it's going to take a little longer now,lol. Friday will be our first trip. can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeMon 06 Jul 2009, 10:56 am

The Raven wrote:
for the last couple of weeks we've been going to Bryan beach. water is clean, beach in clean, you can camp, drive etc.. also the few times we've gone it hasn't been crowded at all. we are going again this friday night and staying at the Quintanna RV park. awesome park, they are on the beach but it's a pedistian beach. So stay there and drive about 2.5 miles to get to Bryan and drive on the beach and tailgate for the day. best park is i can get there in about 1 1/2 hrs from Tomball. but we just picked up our new camper and i think it's going to take a little longer now,lol. Friday will be our first trip. can't wait.

Let us know how it goes. And get some pix of the camper on the beach and any issues etc....
Back to top Go down
The Raven
Poster child
Poster child
The Raven

Number of posts : 313
Rig : 09 X ulimited **1/2 doors**
specs. : 2.5" TF BB 35" KM
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 12:17 pm

We ran down there Friday and stayed at the Quintana RV park. the park was full but the pedistrian beach was empty! jeep likes it between 55-60 mph gets about 9 mpg and sits in 4th running 2800-3200 rpm. and she doesn't like the hills/bridges. wow i can't wait till i can regear. so my 1.5 hr trip down took 3 with traffic (lots of accidents) and the headwind and about 2.25 hrs getting home.
awesome day at the beach, no jellyfish, water was cool, beach was clean, no people just lots of crabs. (in the water, not on me)
now to the few pics i have
at the house
Galveston Wheeling? DSC03483
setup
Galveston Wheeling? DSC03562
kids
Galveston Wheeling? DSC03560
big boat
Galveston Wheeling? DSC03594
in the day parking before heading home
Galveston Wheeling? DSC03625

were off to waste money at SeaWorld this weekend, yeah Sad
Back to top Go down
skoalman
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
skoalman

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 7:55 pm

Damn, those tires still have some tread left....... cheers

Oh, and take some advice from someone who just did the Seaworld thing...........drink LOTS of water...... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 8:09 pm

Good pix dude, glad you had a good time.

I am working a plan for my next run to the beach.... gotta get the "back thing" behind me first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Galveston Wheeling?   Galveston Wheeling? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Galveston Wheeling?
Page 1 of 1