MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jk rear locker

Go down 
+5
terrahawk
Deacon
Mr.RonGilbert
redneckhouston
lnufnu
9 posters
AuthorMessage
lnufnu
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
lnufnu

Number of posts : 99
Rig : 07 Jk
specs. : too much....
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jul 2009, 7:49 pm

Hey n2rock, (or redneck)

Looking to add a rear locker to my d44 x limited slip, n2, would you go with the OX again? or opt for a ected or ARB? Also, just so i know, what was it you had to machine out on yours, the carrier?

LnuFnu
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jul 2009, 8:33 pm

i wouldent go with the ox untill they straighten out the bolt hole thing, the locker(carrier) is machined for 3/8th or 7/16 ring gear bolts....

most jk's from early 07 on and all aftermarket gears use 1/2 bolts

the hardness of the material makes machineing the holes incredibly difficult

, not to mention the need for them to be VERY precise

we destroyed probably several hundred dollars worth of pure carbide endmills doing ONE carrier

it is a sweet locker though, but at this point i would probably go for the arb.......the ected is slow to lock/unlock, or just get a rubi rear axle
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jul 2009, 9:15 pm

Thanks for posting the topic FNU.... I was dead set on the OX until I read Geo's evaluation.

Did you get N2's lined out? I know it needed some adjusting when we were at Krocks...

The main reason that I wanted the OX was that it was a mechanical locker... didn't want the air tank to be in the Jeep all the time... I want a CO tank that I can take in and out.... how slow is the Ected? Slow enough to get you in trouble? Or is it as simple as ... ok here comes an obstacle, go ahead and lock it up? I remember hearing more than once "are you locked" when folks are working an obstacle and there were several times that they were like.... OH, I forgot....

I already have an Ected for the front... I am leaning towards one for the rear now... I can see the custom panel already. The differene in price is almost worth a try.
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jul 2009, 9:44 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
Thanks for posting the topic FNU.... I was dead set on the OX until I read Geo's evaluation.

Did you get N2's lined out? I know it needed some adjusting when we were at Krocks...

The main reason that I wanted the OX was that it was a mechanical locker... didn't want the air tank to be in the Jeep all the time... I want a CO tank that I can take in and out.... how slow is the Ected? Slow enough to get you in trouble? Or is it as simple as ... ok here comes an obstacle, go ahead and lock it up? I remember hearing more than once "are you locked" when folks are working an obstacle and there were several times that they were like.... OH, I forgot....

I already have an Ected for the front... I am leaning towards one for the rear now... I can see the custom panel already. The differene in price is almost worth a try.

like i said i would hold off on the ox for now, the main problem i see with the ected is a limited lifespan due to it having friction material and not a mechanical engagement and it is slow to unlock, potentially causing a problem getting out of an obstacle

IMHO at this time the factory rubi or an arb is the best option if you are unwilling to do a detroit (best option in the dirt)

and the arb dosent need a big tank.........the arb compressor is tiny or a 20oz co2 jet pac would work good to and just switch to a regular co2 tank when wheeling
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jul 2009, 10:03 pm

Thanks!... I will start looking at the ARB setup....
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jul 2009, 11:37 pm

I really suggest you consider the Eaton E-Locker. It's a real locker, not a clutch-pack setup, and it you just run a pair of electric wires to it. No OBA required. I've been in Jeeps with Detroit style rears, and I'm not a big fan. The PowerTrax No-Slip sounds like a good compromise, but I'd rather have a real selectable for the rear, though I'll probably go for that for the front, too.

The E-Lockers are just relatively new, as compared to the old faithful ARB's, but the E-Lockers are getting good reviews every time I've seen them mentioned by different people who've put them in their rigs.
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jul 2009, 11:39 pm

OK, I'll toss this out there lol, my whole rear axle....ARB, 5.13's

$2200.00

yes, I am a spontaneous f'er.
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jul 2009, 11:41 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
Or is it as simple as ... ok here comes an obstacle, go ahead and lock it up? I remember hearing more than once "are you locked" when folks are working an obstacle and there were several times that they were like.... OH, I forgot....

You drop some coin on tose suckers, you don't "forget" you have them hahaha Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 8:21 am

I'm going to send an email to OX today and see if they have switched that ring gear bolt size yet. If they say no, I'm going to email them a handful of links (4 wheeler magazine, Superior, Alloy USA, etc) that all mention the 2 sizes are 7/8 (early '07's) or 1/2" (later '07 and up). They really need to be shipping with those 2 sizes.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
bobby0872r
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
bobby0872r

Number of posts : 37
Rig : 07JK x
specs. : 2.5 RK smitty armor/winch 33" trail grapplers
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 9:53 am

Silly question what trouble would it be to put the factory Rubi axle in a CJ i have a model 20 with one piece axles now...
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 10:08 am

Going to have to cut the brackets off and weld spring perches on there, then upgrade your brake system. Why not just buy mine with the ARB Wink
Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 11:53 am

terrahawk wrote:
Going to have to cut the brackets off and weld spring perches on there, then upgrade your brake system. Why not just buy mine with the ARB Wink

add new new wheels or adapters....

as far as the brake system goes, the only upgrade will be the master cylinder. When I went to 4 wheel discs on my 60's in my CJ, I used an E-350 master cylinder IIRC, it bolted right up to the factory holes.

and Jody, you are practically giving away that axle
Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 11:59 am

bobby0872r wrote:
Silly question what trouble would it be to put the factory Rubi axle in a CJ i have a model 20 with one piece axles now...

What are you going to do with the front, the JK axles are 62.5" WMS and your CJ is 53" WMS
Back to top Go down
lnufnu
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
lnufnu

Number of posts : 99
Rig : 07 Jk
specs. : too much....
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 9:01 pm

Wow, i leave for 24 hours and my thread gets hijacked to a buy my crap to put on a CJ thread???? wtf?

but seriously, thanks redneck, thats pretty much the answer i anticipated... just have to keep saving my pennies....

and since i have the oba /co2 setup i will probably run it that way at least in the short term.
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 9:40 pm

lnufnu wrote:
Wow, i leave for 24 hours and my thread gets hijacked to a buy my crap to put on a CJ thread???? wtf?

but seriously, thanks redneck, thats pretty much the answer i anticipated... just have to keep saving my pennies....

and since i have the oba /co2 setup i will probably run it that way at least in the short term.

co2 would be the prefered way to run a arb.......period

a 2lb cylender is good for over 100 cycles

a 10 pounder????? thousands of lock/unlock cycles

the biggest problem i see with the arb is it relies on three distinct mechanical systems , and if any one system fails you are not locked

mechanical------the locker itself
pnumatic-------the air lines and seals
electrical--------the wiring and compressor

by running co2 you can totally eliminate the electric aspect and failure due to wiring and electricity

use braided lines and an air toggle switch----------
Back to top Go down
goldenboy
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
goldenboy

Number of posts : 473
specs. : close to stock
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 9:50 pm

I know it's a mute point since the ox has installation problems but they now can be ordered with either the mechanical, air or electric operation.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jul 2009, 10:08 pm

goldenboy wrote:
I know it's a mute point since the ox has installation problems but they now can be ordered with either the mechanical, air or electric operation.

Yeah they had those options available when I bought mine. I wanted the mechanical- lower price, less to break, and a cool shifter cheers But you can also upgrade the mechanical to air or electric at any time.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
bobby0872r
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
bobby0872r

Number of posts : 37
Rig : 07JK x
specs. : 2.5 RK smitty armor/winch 33" trail grapplers
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 8:13 am

hummm looks like i asked the wrong question...... oh well
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jk rear locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jk rear locker   Jk rear locker Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jk rear locker
Page 1 of 1