MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

n2rock.com- need some ideas

Go down 
+8
akonius
terrahawk
Mr.RonGilbert
Deacon
Ben
..::Ryan::..
Maverick1701
N2rock
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 12:32 pm

Church- way over my head!!! LOL

The html- I picked up a template from a freebie site. I don't have the time, skill or knowledge for anything more than that.

Blog- not a chance. I don't read blogs, and sure as hell am not going to take the time to write one.

CMS CSS anchors tables... What language are you speaking lol!
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 12:52 pm

jkdrone wrote:

You could prolly spiffy it up all easy like by installing a good CMS, like drupal, and take all of the work of writing the HTML and such off of your hands. Just work the menus/modules, and do a little CSS hackery (or download a theme).

lol! 🤣

So I'm wondering what the hell CMS and Drupal are. And I find a review that states:

Keep in mind they are by far not simple; you get what you work for. If you’re looking for something simple, it’s likely that these are not for you.

There is, a bit of a learning curve when it comes to using a CMS; understanding the data structure (ie. sections, categories, content) is usually the largest obstacle to overcome.

Nope- I have enough going on in my life. Not interested in learning CMS. Best I can do is download a pre-made template and go from there (FYI- I'm using NVU for editing. Which is a step up for me, considering the only other experience I have is with Frontpage lol!
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 12:59 pm

N2rock wrote:

So I'm wondering what the hell CMS and Drupal are. And I find a review that states:

Keep in mind they are by far not simple; you get what you work for. If you’re looking for something simple, it’s likely that these are not for you.

There is, a bit of a learning curve when it comes to using a CMS; understanding the data structure (ie. sections, categories, content) is usually the largest obstacle to overcome.

Nope- I have enough going on in my life. Not interested in learning CMS. Best I can do is download a pre-made template and go from there (FYI- I'm using NVU for editing. Which is a step up for me,

I think you're getting smoke blown up your ***. Drupal is insanely easy. It's hard to understand the difference between a category, a book, a page? Huh? Srsly.

Your hoster can probably install the software through the cpanel with you just clicking a button. You can skin it as easily as choosing which one of the hundreds you like, downloading it, unzipping it, and ftp'ing it up to a specific directory.

Then, you're effectively done. You want a photo gallery? There's a module for that. Yes, it requires some effort to set it up, but it's a lot easier than crafting one by hand in HTML. Oh, did I mention there are WYSIWIG editor modules for most CMSes? No need to know html...

Well, you can take that person's word for it, and keep having to download html templates from someone, hand-edit them, and try to do your layout that way. =)

!c
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 1:01 pm

Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 1:14 pm

I say, let Church do it for you. He might as well be speaking Greek. By the sounds of it, it will take him all of about 3 minutes. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 1:30 pm

Lol, to be clear - I'm just trying to suggest getting yourself out of the business of writing html, if you can, and focus on the cool content you could add instead. Sure, a CMS (content management system), or even blog software (without being a 'blogger', wordpress for example can do everything your site currently has without your writing one tiny line of html - it manages content, pages, searching, layout, etc.) takes a little bit of getting used to and setting up. However, once you've done that - you never have to think about those things or html again, you just write down what you want to say, upload photos you want to upload, etc.

And, trust me, if you don't know CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) and don't want to know it, you really shouldn't try doing everything in html - as that's what drives the look and feel of your web page. =)

!c
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 2:09 pm

TxCrawler wrote:
I say, let Church do it for you. He might as well be speaking Greek. By the sounds of it, it will take him all of about 3 minutes. Very Happy

I'm with you!
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 2:10 pm

jkdrone wrote:

Your hoster can probably install the software through the cpanel with you just clicking a button.

My hoster is my office. The company gave me space. But I can't ask for anyone to put any effort into it.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 2:36 pm

jkdrone wrote:
Drop the splash page, that's 1990's.
Agreed on that, for sure Smile

Quote :
Drop the tables in favor of CSS. (See the source of http://www.dronecolony.com/2008/ - 17 lines of html!)
Yeah, but 547 lines of CSS and 3,350 lines of JavaScript.

Personally, I agree that CSS is definitely the more...professional way to go. The right way, so to speak. You can offer multiple styles and decide to change up the entire look of the site without touching your content. Browsers that don't support it will still deliver the content, and mobile browsers will be able to access it properly, too. It's good stuff.

I'm not sure that a basic WYSIWYG editor isn't a better choice for this particular application, though, unless you're going to do the work for him. I mean, if you don't know what CSS stands for, you're going to have a hard time learning it.
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 2:40 pm

Well, my suggestion will always remain to not try re-inventing the wheel, and to not code your web pages by hand (whether editing a template, etc.)

But, but to your original question - I've consulted more than a few people on this subject (or rather, similar ones), and my first question is always "why do you want a website?"

That is, what are you trying to achieve?

If you want to share information about your family, and your interests, I'd have things like a family photo album, a family tree, etc. Adding more than just pictures of your jeep - but stories about trips you took, things you learned on the way, great new people you met. (i.e., just like what you post on the forums.) The reason a blog helps with that kind of thing is to let you write a story and focus on the content rather than the mark-up, isolate it from the other stories, and make it easily organizable and search-able. I judge from your response about blogs that you've developed a particular notion about them. I'm not sure that notion completely matches all of their uses =)

!c
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 2:56 pm

Deacon wrote:

Yeah, but 547 lines of CSS and 3,350 lines of JavaScript.

Aww, you had to go there =) that 547 lines of CSS supports every page on the site. The javascript? Yes, that's a common, public library that's used almost everywhere these days. Admittedly, since I took a few pages away from the site even the inclusion of that library is spurrious. The actual js written to support my functions (loading pages and obfuscating email adresses, you'll note is just 11 lines.)

deacon wrote:

Personally, I agree that CSS is definitely the more...professional way to go. The right way, so to speak. You can offer multiple styles and decide to change up the entire look of the site without touching your content. Browsers that don't support it will still deliver the content, and mobile browsers will be able to access it properly, too. It's good stuff.

Well, since we're going to open this can of worms, it's not a matter of being "professional," it's a matter of coding to spec. HTML is only for defining structure, meaning, including non-textual data types, and cross-document referencing. CSS is _specifically_ for controlling look-and-feel. The additions to HTML to control things like coloring and alignment were much aligned and difficultly put-through the W3C as they strove to complete specs like CSS when the browser world went graphic. In 1993, it wasn't a big deal because we were mostly using lynx on unix shells. Once we all had enough bandwidth to support graphics, the game got muddy. Nowadays, we still have people using tables for layout control.

Now, that doesn't mean I was in any way attempting to deride him for not using the mark-up language for what it was designed for. See my comment below...

Deacon wrote:

I'm not sure that a basic WYSIWYG editor isn't a better choice for this particular application, though, unless you're going to do the work for him. I mean, if you don't know what CSS stands for, you're going to have a hard time learning it.

Admittedly, my at least half of my comments were tongue-in-cheek. (I thought that would've been slightly obvious, but it appears now it wasn't =)

!c
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 3:21 pm

I like cheese!
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 3:47 pm

terrahawk wrote:
I like cheese!

I'm with you :youtheman:
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
Ben

Number of posts : 601
Rig : yellow, six speed, vinyl, no carpet or rear seat
specs. : rubi takeoffs 2.5" RC spring lift
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Aug 2009, 3:53 pm

terrahawk wrote:
I like cheese!

First post I have understood in sometime on this thread! Too many intellectual cats for my tastes.

n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 154ilat
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.org
MudHound
Got No Life
Got No Life
MudHound

Number of posts : 1323
Rig : 97 TJ
specs. : Part TJ, Part JK, Part CJ, Part K30.....The hell?
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Aug 2009, 5:05 am

dude church, really?

AC/DC makes good music there something people can understnd
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
Ben

Number of posts : 601
Rig : yellow, six speed, vinyl, no carpet or rear seat
specs. : rubi takeoffs 2.5" RC spring lift
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Aug 2009, 9:37 am

MudHound wrote:
dude church, really?

AC/DC makes good music there something people can understnd

Classic rock, always a good wheeling choice. AC/DC gets their props from me but they aren't my favorite. I am a Styx FREAK and Def Leppard, Sammy Hagar, Journey, Aqua, Eddie Money, Ratt, Kenny Loggins, Billy Idol, Rick Astley, etc. love that stuff!
ALL HAIL THE 80'S! DECADE OF MY BIRTH!!!

n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Zsu4at

^^Maverick's older brother who never made it out of the 80's.^^
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.org
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Aug 2009, 9:40 am

dude! is the George???? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: n2rock.com- need some ideas   n2rock.com- need some ideas - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

n2rock.com- need some ideas
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2