MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My personal tire preferences........

Go down 
+9
justinajeep
MudHound
Duke
littleredrubicon
JK-fredd0
Bizarro
Dutchboy101
N2rock
DFW Rusty
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DFW Rusty
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
DFW Rusty

Number of posts : 44
Rig : li'l man, rattle can, O'l green
specs. : stuff....lol
Registration date : 2009-08-04

My personal tire preferences........ Empty
PostSubject: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 3:58 pm

I have wheeled a lot of differnt tires...........

BFG A/T's- road handle like a champ, wear very nicely, are a great tire for gravel, pretty good on sand(aired down). Not a good mud tire(do not clean out for crap), seem to chip the tread when on rocks. I would recomend for a entry level wheeler, who's rig is a d/d.

BFG M/T KM- road handle like the a/t's, a decent side wall, are great on loose gravel, sand, and rocks. I am not impressed by their performance in the mud at all, the tread is a little to stiff for an exellent rock tire(they do good air'd down a lot), and seem to wear kinda fast. Great tire for an entry level to mid level wheeler, great for a d/d that gets dirty as well.

BFG KM2's- some of the best on road tires I have owned(for an m/t), not much road noise, look awesome, wear pretty good, have great traction on the rocks, do ok in the mud, track great on sand. SIDE WALLS SUCK.... that's about the only bad thing about them....lol. Due to the side wall raiting, I can not recomend them for anyone that rock crawls.... aside from that.... they are awesome.

PROCOMP M/T's- pretty much a complete copy of the BFG M/T, exept they are a much stiffer side wall and seem to wear faster. Great for a d/d mudder....

PROCOM Xtreme M/T's(I loved these tires)- road manner good, do pretty good on ice, strong side walls, soft tread, great on sand, rocks, and loose gravel. They suck in the mud, and wear kinda fast. Great for a jeep that lives on the road and dies on the trails.... I will be putting my 3rd set on my JK before November.

Fireston M/T- Good road tire, wear very well, look very aggressive, strong side wall, great in gravel, great tire on the ice/ snow. The tread is way too stiff for rocks, dont seem to clean out as good as you would think. I would recomend these for a d/d that only see's light trails 3-4 times a year. Great tire for the family suv, or a camping vehicle.

Buck Shot M/T- CHEAP, great for mud, 60k mile on a jeep, strong side walls, very well proven. tread is too stiff for rocks, and they are ugly. Is a great tire for a cheap build project, or a farm vehicle.

Mickey Thompson Baja Claws(bias)- great in the mud, awesome on the rocks, good on sand and gravel. loud as hell, wear faster than a no. 2 pencil, and suck on icy roads. I would recomend them to anyone wanting to get into the heavy wheeling. Not a good d/d tire though...

interco TRXUS(not ssr, sorry)-......... DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THEM.......... that's all I'm gonna say........

interco Irocs- awesome tire all around, great on rocks, mud, gravel, sand, and actually road handle good. Wear very fast and ride rough at low speeds..... Great tire for a comp buggy all the way to the weekend wheeler. I would recomend for a d/d as long as that person averages low miles.

interco TSL- great on mud, rocks, gravel, and road handle half ass decent. seem to suck ass in the sand, and are only good for about 20k.

interco Bogger- need I say more about that tire......lol

Last edited by DFW Rusty on Mon 10 Aug 2009, 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/walker_rusty
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 4:03 pm

nice review!

I only have experience with BFG M/T and KM2's. And agree with your assessment of those... Though I have not experienced any issue with the KM2 sidewalls (yet).
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 4:40 pm

Only have experience with the BFG A/T and the KM2's.. I agree with your assesment. Funny enough I punctured the sidewall of my KM2. But that was just bad driving on my part.
Back to top Go down
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Number of posts : 614
Rig : Yellow '08 JK 4 door
specs. : 3" Teraflex lift, 35x12.5x17 KM2
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 8:27 pm

What about a Toyo MT? I was half tempted to get a set to try out but I coudn't pass up the deal I got on my KM2s.
Back to top Go down
JK-fredd0
Got No Life
Got No Life
JK-fredd0

Number of posts : 812
Rig : 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 11:18 pm

i have the interco SSRs. i have had no problems. what is wrong with them?
Back to top Go down
DFW Rusty
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
DFW Rusty

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 11:25 pm

Bizarro wrote:
What about a Toyo MT? I was half tempted to get a set to try out but I coudn't pass up the deal I got on my KM2s.

I have no experience with them........... All I can say, is I have heard good things about them.....
Back to top Go down
DFW Rusty
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
DFW Rusty

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 11:33 pm

JK-fredd0 wrote:

EDIT::::::::::: I just double checked myself........... I MEANT THE "TRXUS M/T's" SORRY!!!!!! :juggle:
The ssr's are a great tire, I dont have any experience with them, but have seen them on many trail rigs......... sorry for the misconception............ :flamed:

Here was my problem with the TRXUS.........
this is based on a 35x12.5x 15

1. the price was too high for what they were.
2. the tread was way too stiff for crawling.
3. the tread ripped off every time we were on ledgey hill climbs or spinning on gravel.
4. balancing them was border line impossible.
5. they looked too much like a buckshot mudder(imo).
6. they only measured a whoping 33.5" tall with 28psi in them.
Back to top Go down
littleredrubicon
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
littleredrubicon

Number of posts : 95
Rig : 04 Rubicon
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 11:53 pm

DFW Rusty wrote:
JK-fredd0 wrote:

EDIT::::::::::: I just double checked myself........... I MEANT THE "TRXUS M/T's" SORRY!!!!!! :juggle:
The ssr's are a great tire, I dont have any experience with them, but have seen them on many trail rigs......... sorry for the misconception............ :flamed:

3. the tread ripped off every time we were on ledgey hill climbs or spinning on gravel.

Interesting.

I've been running my Trxus almost 4 years now and love 'em.

1. I felt I got a good price in comparison (depends on where you get them I suppose)
2. I have felt they have been quite flexable when aired down.
3. After 4 years of fairly hard wheeling they are a bit chewed up, but...
4. Balancing them is a pain. Beads helped.
5. Looks matter? Smile
6. Mine are 34x12.5x15. They measured right at 34" tall new. I'm sure they're a little shorter now.

This is just my experiance. YMMV
Back to top Go down
http://littleredrubicon.com
Duke
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Duke

Number of posts : 477
Rig : JEEP
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 11:56 pm

Its funny how subject much of this is...... as with several of the tires listed I disagree completely, while on several I agree 100%. Smile
Back to top Go down
MudHound
Got No Life
Got No Life
MudHound

Number of posts : 1323
Rig : 97 TJ
specs. : Part TJ, Part JK, Part CJ, Part K30.....The hell?
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 1:23 am

I only disagree on 2 things. The baja Claw (radial) wore down slow as hell on my 05 TJ

The Irok (radial again) wears down faster the the claw but not much. As fas as using it as a DD tire, be careful turning on wet roads, these tires like to let go on wet pavement
Back to top Go down
justinajeep
Poster child
Poster child
justinajeep

Number of posts : 388
Rig : 2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ
specs. : 2" budget lift with rough country shocks
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 6:06 am

What about the TrXus STS or the ss-m16? are they good or not?
Back to top Go down
http://outlawjeep.webs.com/
DFW Rusty
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
DFW Rusty

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 7:54 am

littleredrubicon wrote:
DFW Rusty wrote:
JK-fredd0 wrote:

Interesting.

I've been running my Trxus almost 4 years now and love 'em.

1. I felt I got a good price in comparison (depends on where you get them I suppose)
2. I have felt they have been quite flexable when aired down.
3. After 4 years of fairly hard wheeling they are a bit chewed up, but...
4. Balancing them is a pain. Beads helped.
5. Looks matter? Smile
6. Mine are 34x12.5x15. They measured right at 34" tall new. I'm sure they're a little shorter now.

This is just my experiance. YMMV

I am glad that your experience with them is better than mine was. All of these statements that I am making are all based upon my experiences and mine alone. I know that not all tires are exactly the same and can lead to differnt experiences.
Back to top Go down
DFW Rusty
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
DFW Rusty

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 7:56 am

Duke wrote:
Its funny how subject much of this is...... as with several of the tires listed I disagree completely, while on several I agree 100%. Smile

Like I said..... this is all just my own opinion. take it or leave it. I have high expectations out of tires, especially when they are advertised as an aggressive offroad tire.
Back to top Go down
DFW Rusty
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
DFW Rusty

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 8:00 am

justinajeep wrote:
What about the TrXus STS or the ss-m16? are they good or not?

One of my old high school buddies ran the sts on his truck, back when they first came out. They were like a 35" or so.... We didn't do much rock crawling back in those days, but as for mud....... they sucked. The tread is too tight of a pattern to clean out, and the tread isn't deep enough. They seemed like they were very soft, so they MIGHT be a good rock tire. As for the life of the tire, he sold his truck before he even put 10k on it.

As far as the m-16's go.... I haven't seen them on the trail yet, and I haven't heard anything about them yet.
Back to top Go down
JK-fredd0
Got No Life
Got No Life
JK-fredd0

Number of posts : 812
Rig : 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 12:16 pm

my next tires are probably going to be the new MTRs... but i will drop to a 15" wheel as those are $80 cheaper per tire in a 35x12.50x15 vs a 35x12.50x17...
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 2:50 pm

I still love my 33" KM2's, but those are getting pulled off and replaced by 35x12.50/15's put on by 4WP (with 3 yr / 36k mile warranty) as part of their apology to me for all the hassle and problems I've had with the lift.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
Ben

Number of posts : 601
Rig : yellow, six speed, vinyl, no carpet or rear seat
specs. : rubi takeoffs 2.5" RC spring lift
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 3:44 pm

here comes ben's .02. I think the kmII's do pretty well and seem to wear well on the road and I think they do ok in the mud, (my favorite wheeling!)

I take a slightly different view of the bfg at's. I think for an AT, these are some of the best tires for mud. Wheeling with my cousin who had a set on his nissan 4x4, they were clearing better than any other AT I have seen. Also I have seen the cooper discoverer at do pretty good in the mud. I still have my kmII's but I am still trying to run down my stock AT's, you know which one's I'm talking about. I went wheeling for a long time with just them before I got a real MT and the difference was HUGE!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.org
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
Ben

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 3:45 pm

also, DFW Rusty, what is with your avatar, who/what is that?
Back to top Go down
DFW Rusty
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
DFW Rusty

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 4:10 pm

Ben wrote:
here comes ben's .02. I think the kmII's do pretty well and seem to wear well on the road and I think they do ok in the mud, (my favorite wheeling!)

I take a slightly different view of the bfg at's. I think for an AT, these are some of the best tires for mud. Wheeling with my cousin who had a set on his nissan 4x4, they were clearing better than any other AT I have seen. Also I have seen the cooper discoverer at do pretty good in the mud. I still have my kmII's but I am still trying to run down my stock AT's, you know which one's I'm talking about. I went wheeling for a long time with just them before I got a real MT and the difference was HUGE!

That's a good review...... and I do agree with what you say. The bfg a/t's are a great tire in the mud... compared to other a/t's....... I am comparing all of the tires that I have wheeled against one another....... and what suites my needs best...... what works for me may not work for others........
Back to top Go down
DFW Rusty
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
DFW Rusty

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 4:11 pm

Ben wrote:

It is a picture from the box of a halloween costume that one of my ex-girlfriends wore....... The chick in the pic is frickin HOT!!
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 4:25 pm

Comparing the AT to the KM2 doesn't really seem fair, though Smile

Comparing the KM2 to the Krawler seems a more valid comparison.

It's like saying that my Jag S-Type R is so much nicer and faster than your Toyota Camry...
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
Ben

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 4:34 pm

DFW Rusty wrote:
Ben wrote:

It is a picture from the box of a halloween costume that one of my ex-girlfriends wore....... The chick in the pic is frickin HOT!!

Indeed. I need to pick up one of those.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 4:38 pm

A box, costume, ex-girlfriend, or a pic of a hot chick?
Back to top Go down
DFW Rusty
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
DFW Rusty

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 7:00 pm

Deacon wrote:
Comparing the AT to the KM2 doesn't really seem fair, though Smile

Comparing the KM2 to the Krawler seems a more valid comparison.

It's like saying that my Jag S-Type R is so much nicer and faster than your Toyota Camry...

True, but the guy in the market for a s-type R is probably in the market for a high end sports car, so of course he wont be looking to the toyota. As we are all in the market for high end offroad tires. So, comparing all options is a fair thing imo, we dont want to waste our time & money on tires hoping to find some that fit our needs.......

I made this list for the guy who is some what newer to the sport, and can go off of the preferences of a wheelers, rather than the sales man at the tire store. Cuz I could go to the local tire store and they are going to have biast opinions on which tires they recomend and they may not have ever even wheeled those tires(or even wheeled at all), as mine are completely unbiast and are all based off of my own personal experiences with each tire mentioned.
Back to top Go down
DFW Rusty
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
DFW Rusty

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 7:01 pm

Ben wrote:
Indeed. I need to pick up one of those.

I think the costume is meant for girls..........lol..........! cheerleader
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My personal tire preferences........   My personal tire preferences........ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My personal tire preferences........
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next