MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Painless wiring harness question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Crazylegs Jeepster
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Crazylegs Jeepster

Number of posts : 18
Rig : work in progress
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Painless wiring harness question Empty
PostSubject: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 10:47 pm

Can any one explain how tos on the pain less wiring harness for an 87 Jeep CJ??? I am going to install one on my Project Frankenstien and I am new to this so any help would be great!!!
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 10:55 pm

I believe there are decent instructions included. My only advice would be;
1, get rid of all of the burned up crap.
2, paint where the fuse panel and main harnesses will lay (taping it off later would be a pain...and you don't want to paint colored wires for diagnosis sake.
3, lay it all out before mounting anything.

Thats a start, I will probably think of more later. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Crazylegs Jeepster
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Crazylegs Jeepster

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 11:12 pm

Thanks for the help I am trying to figure this out but I have heard these are simple but whoever said that was crazy wihat do you mean by painting the wires???
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 11:27 pm

If you install the harness and then paint you can no longer see the color of the individual wires....this sux....when chasing problems later on....was that a green wire or a blue wire? Some of the cranes I work on have wires all of the same color, It is a nightmare to find the right one!

You said the Jeep was burned, I would probably paint or bedline it inside before putting in the wiring. Just a suggestion. I hate taping everything.
Back to top Go down
Crazylegs Jeepster
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Crazylegs Jeepster

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 11:51 pm

I am going to rhino line the inside of the engine compartment and the inside of the jeep and then spray the lime green paint over the rest of it after I do all the prep and body werk to it to get it ready to paint and then the wires are going in I have my work cut out on this one but it will be fun Painless wiring harness question Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 12:37 am

i thought your jeep was a 1990? that would be a yj..........

why ya using a cj harness? seems like alot more work and NO cj ever came with efi..........
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
Crazylegs Jeepster
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Crazylegs Jeepster

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 7:13 pm

oops my mistake it is a 1990 and i got the wrong harness so I have to exchange it for the YJ model It is my first jeep and i want to learn everything and as much as I can about it I am reading the manuals front to back and I practically am sleeping in the garage every night working on it to get it ready for paint so i would like to start on getting the wiring harness on and get it running so i am also going to put a 318 in it and a supercharger just for xtra power so that is my short term plans for now and I will post more later when the time comes ok...
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 7:19 pm

My advise would be to line the inside 1rst before you clutter it up with the harness.

Does this make sense to you George? (2 rednecks are better than 1)
Back to top Go down
StormTrooper2005
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
StormTrooper2005

Number of posts : 74
Rig : TJ
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 7:34 pm

The Painless wire harness is market every 6 to 8 inches on each wire telling you what component the the individual wire goes to. It makes it much easier to wire than a factory harness. I also agree with Potlick line it first. The inside of my TJ is Rhino lined and it was done with the harness removed. Makes it much easier to diagnose electrical gremlins in the future if you don't have to cut through bed liner and wire wrap to get to the wires.
Back to top Go down
Crazylegs Jeepster
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Crazylegs Jeepster

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 7:54 pm

That is what I was thinking too I want to rhino line the engine bay but i was curious would rhino lining the engine bay cause it to over heat when i run the engine or what???
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 8:07 pm

The V8 is going to be pretty tight. the only concern I would have is around the exhaust manifolds/ headers. You really don't want another fire! I don't know how liner will live w/ extreme heat. As far as the engine over heating, as long as there is plenty of radiator and airflow it shouldn't affect it much.
Back to top Go down
StormTrooper2005
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
StormTrooper2005

Number of posts : 74
Rig : TJ
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 11:11 pm

I would not line the engine bay. Rubber melts, burns and is a bitch to extinguish when on fire.
Back to top Go down
Crazylegs Jeepster
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Crazylegs Jeepster

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 12:00 am

So it is a bad idea to line the engine bay ? cause i cant afford another fire lol.....
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 12:15 am

Now your talkin, don't waste the money on something that is not going to have much traffic anyway. I would paint it, that makes it cleaner and will make for better photos........wait I haven't seen any yet, is there really a Jeep? 🤣

I do look forward to seeing this project it should be interesting!
Back to top Go down
Crazylegs Jeepster
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Crazylegs Jeepster

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitimeThu 05 Nov 2009, 10:08 pm

I will try to get photos up this weekend to show the beast in the begining stages and i will keep you all posted does that sound good???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painless wiring harness question   Painless wiring harness question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painless wiring harness question
Page 1 of 1