MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
semperfidog

Number of posts : 3
Rig : 1976 CJ5
Registration date : 2010-04-17

wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan Empty
PostSubject: wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan   wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 12:21 am

hope u guys can help?
76 cj5 inline 6 258 single carter

after trying to fix wiring mess from Previous Owner, I have not been able to find where to wire up a vaccumm switch at it has a rubber line from it to the advance and one going to the egr mess under the carb. has a 2 wire pig tail ? were to put it ?

tried to up load a pic to no avail.

another wiring problem that i dont know what to do with is the wiring coming off the manual tranny into the engine compartment disconected( where does it go)
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan   wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 12:42 am

Welcome semperfidog. Where in central valley?

I lived in French Camp and worked in Modesto
Back to top Go down
TOYZ_2
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
TOYZ_2

Number of posts : 190
Rig : 98 TJ 4 Banger
specs. : 3 1/4 RC lift, bestop supertop, round tires , dual sun visiors
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan   wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 8:47 am

I think your best bet for the vacuum advance is to find a vacuum source off the carb that allows it to pull vacuum gradually and run it to the vacuum advance. You can do the same for the egr valve. The carb should have several ports that you can use. Depending on the laws you have there for smog,etc., you may have to make it appear like the connectors are connected. Have sone this on some vehicles where it looks like it connects to something, but i just ran some wires to ground with nothing hooked up. If you looked at it, you wouldnt know the difference.
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan   wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 11:17 pm

The Vac Adv. needs to be on ported vacuum. vacuum above the throttle plate. at idle there should not be any vacuum at the port...only when the throttle opens (when the timing needs to be advanced).

My Jeep is a 73, so it dosen't have the EGR crap. In California them folks is a pert near more picky than the laws/ inspectors here. If it was here I'd tell you to rip the stuff off. I know that is not an option. Let me know if I can help. I can shoot some photos and E-mail em' to you, if you think it will help.

The wires to the trans are for the back-up lights. one should be hot with the key on, and the other should light up the lights when it is made hot. Hope this helps wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan Icon_pirat
Back to top Go down
semperfidog

PostSubject: Re: wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan   wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 11:37 pm

potlickinpirate wrote:
The Vac Adv. needs to be on ported vacuum. vacuum above the throttle plate. at idle there should not be any vacuum at the port...only when the throttle opens (when the timing needs to be advanced).

My Jeep is a 73, so it dosen't have the EGR crap. In California them folks is a pert near more picky than the laws/ inspectors here. If it was here I'd tell you to rip the stuff off. I know that is not an option. Let me know if I can help. I can shoot some photos and E-mail em' to you, if you think it will help.

The wires to the trans are for the back-up lights. one should be hot with the key on, and the other should light up the lights when it is made hot. Hope this helps wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan Icon_pirat

sure does thanks pirate..
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan   wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 10:57 pm

Ok on the Back up light switch.....
#528 red 18 is one that goes to the main dash plug on the firewall
#34a white w/tr 18 goes to the tail light plug

The first # is the circuit #, then the color, then the guage, I believe. This information came from the scematic in my Haynes manual.

The electric valve you showed me in the picture is a TCS (transmission controlled spark)

one wire is ignition feed
the other goes to a switch on the trans

I have never heard of this bs before.... it changes the timing when the trans is in high gear or 34mph on the auto trans. it also uses the thermal vac switch at the bottom of the block to turn it off & on. So if the temp., speed is right, and you hold your mouth right it would work. This was the beginning of the complex emission vacuum line spaghetti they came out with.

Hope this helps......Hint.....Buy the Haynes manual, its got good stuff in it!

And you won this episode of "stump the crane mechanic"....
Back to top Go down
semperfidog

PostSubject: Re: wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan   wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 1:27 am

thanks every one for the excellant info. I believe I will be able to get it back up and running tommorow just in time for the rain to come again after 2 days of 80 degree's. but Hey I'll be driving my jeep once again with all lights and california smog crap hooked up.

Next jeep will be pre 76 for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan   wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

wiring for a vaccumm switch going to vaccumm advan
Page 1 of 1