MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which CB Antenna?

Go down 
+9
TOYZ_2
jeetyet
Ben
SASQUATCH
CJATE
goldenboy
xxXJohnny
N2rock
TheBigOnion
13 posters
AuthorMessage
TheBigOnion
Poster child
Poster child
TheBigOnion

Number of posts : 216
Rig : 2000 JEEP TJ
specs. : Red
Registration date : 2009-10-03

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeTue 05 Jan 2010, 10:25 am

I bought my son a CB this Christmas for his Jeep. I now need to get him an antenna. Any recommendations on why type and where to get it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thebigonion.com
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeTue 05 Jan 2010, 11:01 am

If he wheels, then just get a cheap antenna- Frys sells 4' fiberglass ones for $10.

I have broken 2 antennas on trails. The first one that broke was a Firestick which cost a bit more. I learned from that one. Since then I have only used the cheap $10 ones. If you're just using the CB for wheeling purposes, you don't need any more than the cheapo one.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
xxXJohnny
Got No Life
Got No Life
xxXJohnny

Number of posts : 1052
Rig : 2010 Challenger
specs. : Nemesis package
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeWed 06 Jan 2010, 10:02 pm

I have a cheap one from frys I can give you at hidden falls if you make it out there on the 23rd
Back to top Go down
TheBigOnion
Poster child
Poster child
TheBigOnion

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jan 2010, 9:28 am

Thank you Mr. El Cucuy,
if I buy a terraflex antenna mount for the back of my jeep, will your antenna fit on it?
Back to top Go down
goldenboy
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
goldenboy

Number of posts : 473
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : close to stock
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jan 2010, 10:01 am

i have the frys antenna and the terraflex mount. works great. you will need the connector though between the antenna and the cable though if mr. el cucuy doesn't have that.
Back to top Go down
CJATE
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
CJATE

Number of posts : 88
Rig : 83 Scrambler
specs. : SOA, locked, twinsticked, 35" Krawlers, leaks just about everything
Registration date : 2009-07-05

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jan 2010, 10:35 am

i disagree, get a good one and put it in a place your less likely to break,,, then get your unit tuned.

There is nothing more frustrating then being over the creak and through the woods and not able to talk should you need too.

with the guys I run with only 2 of us can "talk" from across the park,
Back to top Go down
http://www.CoachMorrison.com
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jan 2010, 10:46 am

CJATE wrote:
i disagree, get a good one and put it in a place your less likely to break,,, then get your unit tuned.

There is nothing more frustrating then being over the creak and through the woods and not able to talk should you need too.

with the guys I run with only 2 of us can "talk" from across the park,

My cheapo antenna has been road tested to have about a 2.5 mile reach. That is more than adequate for trail use. The main purpose on trail is communications between vehicles in the group. Not communications with a group on the other side of the park. Even a "good" antenna and completely tuned CB is going to have a limit of around 5 miles. We're not wheeling Moab (where you would need 5 miles of range). We're wheeling places that are measured in acres instead of miles.

As I said- I have broken two antennas while on the trail. This has always occured while driving thru trees (one at Longs, one at Shiloh). There is no place to mount an antenna where it is not going to be affected when driving thru trees. That's just one of those things that can happens. The antenna just gets smacked so many times before it finally just breaks.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
SASQUATCH
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2009-10-31

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jan 2010, 7:35 pm

TheBigOnion wrote:
Thank you Mr. El Cucuy,
if I buy a terraflex antenna mount for the back of my jeep, will your antenna fit on it?

Your question was answered, but I'll add that the TF mount is really nice for the price. Lot of good provided from several on here. Had a local shop install mine this time, a first after 3 previous Jeeps, he does clean work, nice cable runs, external speaker mounting, etc. He peak & tuned a Uniden ProXL 520, mounted a 2' Firestick w/stainless couplers to the TF brkt. My wife has the same identical setup and rougly within a mile in town, around buildings etc, we can hear each other fine and on the trail together it's perfect. The 2' Firestick height is just below the top so it misses trail limbs, etc.
Back to top Go down
TheBigOnion
Poster child
Poster child
TheBigOnion

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 10:45 pm

I'm afraid we will not make it this time. Thanks for offering the antenna though.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
Ben

Number of posts : 601
Rig : yellow, six speed, vinyl, no carpet or rear seat
specs. : rubi takeoffs 2.5" RC spring lift
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 12:45 pm

I don't know why we seem to be the only ones who do this but me and maverick swear by our whip antennas. U can't break them on the trail, they have decent range, can be tuned and don't untune very easily and look totally badass. Plus chicks dig them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.org
TheBigOnion
Poster child
Poster child
TheBigOnion

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeTue 06 Apr 2010, 10:53 am

Hello all,
time for me to reopen this thread. We don't have a Fry's in San Antonio. Anyone else know where I can get my antenna locally?

Thx...Michael
Back to top Go down
jeetyet
Poster child
Poster child
jeetyet

Number of posts : 360
Rig : 91 xj
specs. : daily drivin slow turd
Registration date : 2010-01-21

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeTue 06 Apr 2010, 11:33 am

any truck stop
Back to top Go down
TOYZ_2
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
TOYZ_2

Number of posts : 190
Rig : 98 TJ 4 Banger
specs. : 3 1/4 RC lift, bestop supertop, round tires , dual sun visiors
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeTue 06 Apr 2010, 11:42 am

Theres a truck stop of of ih 10 at foster road. They have a great selection of cb stuff there. I bought the 4 inch firestick and mount there.
Back to top Go down
TOYZ_2
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
TOYZ_2

Number of posts : 190
Rig : 98 TJ 4 Banger
specs. : 3 1/4 RC lift, bestop supertop, round tires , dual sun visiors
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeTue 06 Apr 2010, 11:43 am

Maybe it was a 4 foot firestick.....
Back to top Go down
TheBigOnion
Poster child
Poster child
TheBigOnion

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeTue 06 Apr 2010, 12:21 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
Ben

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeTue 06 Apr 2010, 8:23 pm

TheBigOnion wrote:
I bought my son a CB this Christmas for his Jeep. I now need to get him an antenna. Any recommendations on why type and where to get it?
Holy resurrected thread batman! Get the whipz, radioshack has them for ten bux and they will not break but may get u laid.
Back to top Go down
paramedac
Poster child
Poster child
paramedac

Number of posts : 221
Rig : 1995 yj soft top half doors
specs. : 1.75 shackle lift 31x10.5x15 mud rovers,aftermarket bumpers but still the 2.5L
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jun 2010, 4:17 pm

try the Petro at i10 and ackerman they have alot of cb stuff was just there yesterday
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
Ben

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jun 2010, 10:47 am

Ben wrote:
TheBigOnion wrote:
Holy resurrected thread batman! Get the whipz, radioshack has them for ten bux and they will not break but may get u laid.

^again^
Back to top Go down
txoffrd
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
txoffrd

Number of posts : 56
Rig : 2009 X
specs. : 4" Rough Country Lift
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeSat 07 Aug 2010, 11:38 pm

old thread i know but i just bought a 4' firestik and not to sure how to ground it properly. i was just planning on mounting it behind the spare tire. i dont have a mount, i was just going to drill a hole and use a nut and washer on either side. any help is greatly appriciated.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeSun 08 Aug 2010, 12:10 am

Find a way to ground it to the frame.... just about anything else is futile. There is a good spot just inside the gate on the hinge side there is a bolt that you can back out and hook up to. I did that with mine and it works just right.
Back to top Go down
Constantine
Poster child
Poster child
Constantine

Number of posts : 255
Rig : 2010 JK
specs. : RanCho 4"/SmiTTy XRC BuMpers/SmiTTY CoMp 10 WInCh/PoSion SpYder/
Registration date : 2010-07-25

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeSun 08 Aug 2010, 9:24 am

TheBigOnion wrote:
Hello all,
time for me to reopen this thread. We don't have a Fry's in San Antonio. Anyone else know where I can get my antenna locally?

Thx...Michael

If you havent found a antenna go to French Ellison Truck Center in Converse They have selveral choices.
Back to top Go down
txoffrd
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
txoffrd

Number of posts : 56
Rig : 2009 X
specs. : 4" Rough Country Lift
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeSun 08 Aug 2010, 11:04 am

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
Find a way to ground it to the frame.... just about anything else is futile. There is a good spot just inside the gate on the hinge side there is a bolt that you can back out and hook up to. I did that with mine and it works just right.

the thing i am hung up on is where and how do i attatch the ground to the antenna?
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeSun 08 Aug 2010, 11:43 am

The ground comes off the bottom of the antenna, there should be a nylon bushing that keeps the top part of the antenna away from the metal. The ground part is the "E" part of this diagram:

Which CB Antenna? K-4A_StudInst_200pm

More info:
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/jeeps.htm
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitimeSun 08 Aug 2010, 11:49 am

You might consider shooting an email to the tech support of your antenna mfg as well, ask what size wire etc.... they might have a specific fix for your application that could save you some time and hassle.

Good luck, once it is set up it will be nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Which CB Antenna? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which CB Antenna?   Which CB Antenna? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which CB Antenna?
Page 1 of 1