MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OR-Fab sport cage install

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
4x4x4
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
4x4x4

Number of posts : 86
Rig : 2009 JK Unlimited
Registration date : 2009-07-06

OR-Fab sport cage install Empty
PostSubject: OR-Fab sport cage install   OR-Fab sport cage install Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 12:10 pm

Finished!!! Warning -***Lots of pics
How this got started:
I wanted a cage for my last JK but put it was pretty far down on the list thinking..."I'll never need that but it sure does look cool."
I nodded off going home and hit a guardrail at close to 70mph. This is why I have an OR-Fab sport cage now. The company doesn't claim it can save anyone in a rollover, but I know this is better than what you have from the factory. The windshield is not strong enough to support anything but a light flop.
OR-Fab sport cage install Crash3

OR-Fab sport cage install OR-FAB
Final result:
OR-Fab sport cage install Through
Inspection of the parts complete: Unlimited Front Cage/ - Optional - Floor Mount/Rear Streamer
- They packed it like they were saving a kidney for a transplant. No scratches on heavy steel.
OR-Fab sport cage install Box
- The parts are welded very well in every area of both flat and tube.
- The material is heavy duty! Much thicker steel than it appears in pictures.
NOTE: The template for drilling is metal. I found it in the box after reading the instructions thinking this was a paper template!!!
The hole on the left is the bottom hole!!!! You can put the template on upside down.
OR-Fab sport cage install Template
OR-Fab sport cage install Parts
You really need to have a Torx socket set for the Jeep. It makes taking off the torx bolts so much faster.
OR-Fab sport cage install Craftstorx
Doors off
Top off -I use my swing hooks/ratchet straps in the ceiling to take off the hard top. It is easy to do by yourself and it's cheap. Note: I always put the heavy ratchets in the front...something about that big piece of glass in the back makes me do it that way!
OR-Fab sport cage install HDlift
Then I put it on my trailer to get it out of the garage. I just lifted it on my shoulders and let it down on the trailer in the garage. My wife unhooked the front standing in the trailer. The "old" pillows makes sure it doesn't get scratched. Well, scratched more than the trail pinstripes it already has on it.
OR-Fab sport cage install HDtrailer
Directions so far are going very well. Pictures in the instructions are pretty clear.
Take off sunvisors. Take of plastic covers. Take off padding and cloth covers.
OR-Fab sport cage install Frontplastic
Back to top Go down
4x4x4
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
4x4x4

PostSubject: Re: OR-Fab sport cage install   OR-Fab sport cage install Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 12:15 pm

I am including this picture of the top plate because you use it for the install. It really is a puzzle to put back on if you didn't think about what it looks like in the removal process.
OR-Fab sport cage install Paddingandcover
Since I had to drop the windshield I took it out for a short trip. 35 degrees short trip
OR-Fab sport cage install Topdowntrip
Looks very different this way.
OR-Fab sport cage install Nobarwdown
A lot of the pictures show the passenger side but the process is very similar on both sides.
I took the glove box and speaker out (I simply pulled the speaker out of the way along with the wiring) on the passenger side. Several folks warned me that in the cutting process on the passenger side they cut some of the wires and that taking out the speaker was much faster. There are only 3 screws holding it in. Two from the side and one on the bottom. There is a little panel under the glove box that just pops off so you can see that one.
OR-Fab sport cage install Speaker
I don't remember the directions telling you to remove the hinges, but they are in the way so take them off.
OR-Fab sport cage install Holes
OR-Fab sport cage install Floormountp
This edge is trimmed but is not visible when the plate is on.
OR-Fab sport cage install 3indashtrim
OR-Fab sport cage install Alumcut
I used my ratchet strap to get everything to come together with the right measurements. Saved some time for me!
OR-Fab sport cage install Ratchet
I put one side in then the other and put the bars going across in afterward. There is enough flex while it is still unbolted to the pinch seam to get everything to come together.
Test fit.
OR-Fab sport cage install Testfit
Back to top Go down
4x4x4
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
4x4x4

PostSubject: Re: OR-Fab sport cage install   OR-Fab sport cage install Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 12:17 pm

I don't have the rear done or the pieces of plastic trimmed on the A pillar/windshield /door sill.
I chose to put the padding back on the bar. The view with the bars in does not restrict the view of the driver at all. I am very pleased with the product and the design. I recommend this cage but hope I never have to test it. I have rolled a Jeep once and that is enough.
OR-Fab sport cage install Passsideview
OR-Fab sport cage install Driverview
OR-Fab sport cage install Lookingright
OR-Fab sport cage install Overheadbars
OR-Fab sport cage install Orfab

OR-Fab sport cage install Ovrhead
OR-Fab sport cage install Backtfrt
OR-Fab sport cage install Rertucked
OR-Fab sport cage install Cprhead
[SIZE="3"]All finished now and I love the new protection, but hope I never need it!! I think it looks great but most people will not notice something added. I think they will believe the Jeep just came this way. That is a good statement about it's design![/SIZE]
OR-Fab sport cage install Through
OR-Fab sport cage install Orfcrawler
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: OR-Fab sport cage install   OR-Fab sport cage install Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 12:22 pm

Looks great. A cage is on my list for sometime this year.

Are you going to Hidden Falls this weekend? I'd like to see the ORF cage in person.
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

Number of posts : 697
Rig : 2010 JK unlimited
specs. : changing daily...
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: OR-Fab sport cage install   OR-Fab sport cage install Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 12:44 pm

That looks awesome! OR-Fab sport cage install 3119
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: OR-Fab sport cage install   OR-Fab sport cage install Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 4:09 pm

Very cool! Would like to have one myself, but not in the budget anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
4x4x4
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
4x4x4

PostSubject: Re: OR-Fab sport cage install   OR-Fab sport cage install Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 8:48 pm

Dutchboy101 wrote:

Are you going to Hidden Falls this weekend? I'd like to see the ORF cage in person.

I hadn't planned on going. Is there going to be a group there next weekend?
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: OR-Fab sport cage install   OR-Fab sport cage install Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 10:27 pm

4x4x4 wrote:
Dutchboy101 wrote:

I hadn't planned on going. Is there going to be a group there next weekend?

check this thread. also, if you hit the Portal button at the top,it will give you the most active threads.
http://www.myjeepforum.net/event-trip-planner-f15/hidden-falls-jan-23rd-t2704-80.htm#38477
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OR-Fab sport cage install   OR-Fab sport cage install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OR-Fab sport cage install
Page 1 of 1