MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

We need a shop and some help!

Go down 
+8
Dutchboy101
benc07
jeeperjennie
redneckhouston
potlickinpirate
TxCrawler
jkx0778
rdhrd4
12 posters
AuthorMessage
rdhrd4
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
rdhrd4

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-12-07

We need a shop and some help! Empty
PostSubject: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010, 11:05 am

ok ive been a lurker of the site for a while, but for you jk guys you probably know me from jko... but my buddy has a 98 tj and recently broke "something" while mudding. we drained the transfer case fluid, no metal flakes, and took the pan off the bottom of the transmission, once again no metal flakes. in park the jeep just rolls. in drive and reverse you can hear what seems to be the gears grinding and it sounds like it is coming from the front of the tranny... so, any thoughts? tim and randy are telling me it could be a burnt band, if this is the case we need to pull the tranny.

on that note, i am wondering if anyone would be willing to let us use their shop somewhere in the san antonio area and lend a helping hand in this process...

any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!!!
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010, 6:41 pm

i don't have a shop, but i will say i have had bad experiences with Gene Brown transmission shop in the past
Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010, 7:07 pm

Pull your diff covers. I had a similar problem in a TJ years ago and it ended up being the spider gears in the rear axle went caput.
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Feb 2010, 8:10 pm

If that is the case just watch the drivelines in gear if they are spinin' and the tires ain't..I believe we have a disconnect. I am still not sure about the transfer case. You need to check it when you pull it, spin the input shaft and output shafts etc. see if there is something that sounds like it wants out. The sound coming from the front of the transmission is discouraging though. That may just be the culprit. Wish I could help, it is going to be a busy weekend for me. Keep us posted and good luck. We need a shop and some help! Icon_pirat Randy
Back to top Go down
rdhrd4
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
rdhrd4

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010, 9:40 am

TxCrawler wrote:
Pull your diff covers. I had a similar problem in a TJ years ago and it ended up being the spider gears in the rear axle went caput.

im thinkin its not the gears b/c its not makin noise at either off the diffs, and its doubtful that BOTH front and rears went out at the same time, but ill deff check them...

potlickinpirate wrote:
If that is the case just watch the drivelines in gear if they are spinin' and the tires ain't..I believe we have a disconnect. I am still not sure about the transfer case. You need to check it when you pull it, spin the input shaft and output shafts etc. see if there is something that sounds like it wants out. The sound coming from the front of the transmission is discouraging though. That may just be the culprit. Wish I could help, it is going to be a busy weekend for me. Keep us posted and good luck. We need a shop and some help! Icon_pirat Randy

we are hopefully going to pull it out this weekend, gonna suck to check drivelines (my dumba$$ didnt think of that b4 we drained fluids) idk if he wants to spend all that money on putting fluids in it several times but i will def run all yalls ideas by him...

again thanks for all yalls help, will keep posted up on what we find out!
Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010, 10:21 am

I would just check the rear, they are nototious for going out. When mine went out, I thought it was the tranny also, and it sounded like it was coming from that area from inside the Jeep.
Back to top Go down
rdhrd4
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
rdhrd4

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010, 10:30 am

TxCrawler wrote:
I would just check the rear, they are nototious for going out. When mine went out, I thought it was the tranny also, and it sounded like it was coming from that area from inside the Jeep.

even in 4wd? we get the same noise and no movement when its in 4h and 4l...
Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010, 10:58 am

OK,
I didn't get the part of no movement. You would still get movement is 4WD just a really bad grinding. So, I am at a loss now We need a shop and some help! Confused
Back to top Go down
rdhrd4
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
rdhrd4

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010, 11:18 am

TxCrawler wrote:
OK,
I didn't get the part of no movement. You would still get movement is 4WD just a really bad grinding. So, I am at a loss now We need a shop and some help! Confused

how difficult is it going to be to pull the tranny out?
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010, 11:53 am

sounds like a broke transmission input/ bad pump/ tc to me

its really not that hard to get out.....

all the bellhousing bolts are different sizes and the top 2 are inverted torx t12 size...you probablly don't have this tool , but they have a set cheap at the auto parts store
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
rdhrd4
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
rdhrd4

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010, 11:56 am

redneckhouston wrote:
sounds like a broke transmission input/ bad pump/ tc to me

its really not that hard to get out.....

all the bellhousing bolts are different sizes and the top 2 are inverted torx t12 size...you probablly don't have this tool , but they have a set cheap at the auto parts store

not hard even without something to lift it up? (besides a floor jack)
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

Number of posts : 2929
specs. : Ahhhhh Missing A Few Parts!
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010, 7:28 pm

well you could bring it to our shop but it's a long haul here
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockrash4x4.com
rdhrd4
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
rdhrd4

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010, 1:30 pm

we will be starting to pull the tranny out here soon and any help would be appreciated, we will be using my shop at my office here on base, so if anyone would like to come lend a hand give me a call or text me at 580-919-1015

thank yall!

evan
Back to top Go down
rdhrd4
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
rdhrd4

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010, 6:02 pm

well we spent a couple hours pissing with it today and all we got out of it was that we had not drained all of the fluid in the transfer case (big mess)...

after talking to a couple of tranny guys we are leaning hard towards the output shaft...

i have taken apart several trannys and motors and entire cars before however they were all in dirt track race cars so im no expert when it comes to this...

so if any of you would be willing to give us a hand we can haul it wherever, he really doesnt want to take it to a pro shop or stealership and pay a grand to get it fixed...

any ideas?
Back to top Go down
benc07

benc07

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-20

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2010, 12:24 pm

Just to let you guys know its my jeep that he's been posting for. I just got an account on here.

I'm also hearing it might be something to do with the shift linkage. Does anyone else think that too?
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2010, 12:37 pm

This is way above my skill level. Wish i could help, but I would just be in the way.
Good luck with the issue and I hope you get it fixed soon.
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2010, 9:45 pm

Since it rolls when in park it seems like it would be something in the transfer case area or output shaft. The park pawl, which locks the transmission, is in the rear of the transmission, on the output shaft. If the problem was in the front the park pawl would still hold in park.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeThu 25 Feb 2010, 10:02 pm

i think the lack of responses is due to the lack of skill level with transmissions. I don't have a clue. George with RockRash4x4 gave me a crash corse in rear diffs. but, i think the trans is a more technical than the diff. Wish I could help, but I have no clue in this dept.

sorry.
Back to top Go down
linheli

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeTue 02 Aug 2011, 5:21 am

well you could bring it to our shop but it's a long haul here

Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

Number of posts : 481
Rig : 1986 CJ7
specs. : Not Much
Registration date : 2011-02-06

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeTue 02 Aug 2011, 7:08 pm

Ummmmm, this was 5 months ago. I'm sure its fixed.
Back to top Go down
https://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i399/shanerominger/
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitimeTue 02 Aug 2011, 7:55 pm

F^%King spamer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We need a shop and some help!   We need a shop and some help! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

We need a shop and some help!
Page 1 of 1