MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

im new too the sport.

Go down 
+11
TxRubiRig
Great Pumpkin
N2rock
Bizarro
toddandshari'sjk
Uup4it
redneckhouston
potlickinpirate
terrahawk
xxXJohnny
Tvernon
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

Number of posts : 300
Rig : 2007 JK
specs. : ------->
Registration date : 2010-03-22

im new too the sport. Empty
PostSubject: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 9:45 pm

My name is Tyler im a College kid thats broke im sure most of yall know what thats like. My question is that im looking at a 4" terriflex long arm kit for my 07 jk its 4 door and I wanna know if anyone has had, or hear of any problems with it? its easy to find good reviews kinda hard to find bad. some experienced knowledge would be helpful thanks.
Back to top Go down
xxXJohnny
Got No Life
Got No Life
xxXJohnny

Number of posts : 1052
Rig : 2010 Challenger
specs. : Nemesis package
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 10:21 pm

Welcome to the nut house and if you're new to the sport "not trying to be rude or anything but" why do you want to go with a long arm kit are you planing on getting into hard core rock crawling?
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 10:58 pm

If you're a poor college kid, save your money because you don't need a long arm kit...it's not a TJ. A short arm kit will be fine.
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 11:27 pm

Welcome!!
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 11:38 pm

Welcome,good to have you here......

now with the pleasantries out of the way, let me ask a few questions to help you with your future lift kit choices. Please answer truthfully and to the best of your limited ability.

#1. Are you a liar?<---you claim to be broke but are "thinking" about a 2k dollar lift kit, when a 300 dollar one would probably fit your "needs"

#2. Are you a yuppie fag who's parents have too much money?

#3. When you say "I'm looking at this lift" are you actually considering buying it or are you just dreaming?

#4. can you explain the benefits of a long arm suspension system, and intelligently explain the terms, anti-dive, anti-squat, instant roll center, and thrust angle?

#5. do you think you can handle hanging around here?
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

Number of posts : 758
Rig : 07 2 door X Flamer 6 spd
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 11:45 pm

Welcome to the forum, hold on it's gonna be a little rough for awhile, hang in there! Consider it being "jumped in" im new too the sport. Icon_twisted
Back to top Go down
toddandshari'sjk
Poster child
Poster child
toddandshari'sjk

Number of posts : 218
Rig : '08 JK Unlimited
Registration date : 2010-02-23

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 12:51 am

Hey neighbor, welcome to the forum...all of your questions are legit, I went through all the same stress less than a year ago. I chose to go cheap route with Skyjacker 3" lift kit, it serves the purpose for now but will upgrade in the future. You really have to consider how hardcore of a wheeler you're gonna be. And don't mind redneckhouston....he's just trying to break you in a little.....he's harmless(I think)lol
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26&amp;amp;quot; spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 1:08 am

toddandshari'sjk wrote:
And don't mind redneckhouston....he's just trying to break you in a little.....he's harmless(I think)lol

thats what the young boys buried in the back yard thought too....................

oh, and my new trail rig

.im new too the sport. 3070133859_1457838136
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Number of posts : 614
Rig : Yellow '08 JK 4 door
specs. : 3" Teraflex lift, 35x12.5x17 KM2
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 9:29 am

When I was broke in college I spent less than $2000 on my vehicle.

Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 9:58 am

Mr. El Cucuy wrote:
why do you want to go with a long arm kit are you planing on getting into hard core rock crawling?

Why do you think "long arm" = hard core wheeling lol. im new too the sport. Icon_basketball
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 9:59 am

Welcome Tyler

A broke college kid with a 4dr JK scratch And looking at a $2k lift scratch scratch

Are you really needing that?

Here's what an '07 4dr is capable of with just a 2.5" lift, 35" tires, and lockers)

And that would be considered "mild" by comparison to what some of these guys do with the same setup.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
xxXJohnny
Got No Life
Got No Life
xxXJohnny

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 10:11 am

terrahawk wrote:
Mr. El Cucuy wrote:
why do you want to go with a long arm kit are you planing on getting into hard core rock crawling?

Why do you think "long arm" = hard core wheeling lol. im new too the sport. Icon_basketball

I guess he can do mild wheeling and hard core college crusing
Back to top Go down
Great Pumpkin
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Great Pumpkin

Number of posts : 191
Rig : 2009 JK Unlimited
specs. : Sunburst Orange / auto / 4WD / half doors
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 11:15 am

Hey Tyler, welcome to the boards. Some of these guys are giving you a "trial by fire" because you're starting with a question that throws a ton of red flags. JKs are designed with longer stock arms than previous generations so older thought processes don't quite work with them. A long arm kit really isn't needed unless you're going up to 6+ inches. For the price of that TF kit, you can get something much more affordable like the Rough Country 2.5 inch Series II kit and buy some wheels/tires. If you just put 4 inches of lift on a stock JK, it's going to look weird unless your shallow budget has a deep end to also cover 35s with wheels.

Just give us some more info on your JK and what your goal is and then people can chime in with ideas. Also, do some research and learn as much as you can about your Jeep. I read up for 9 months after I bought mine so I could understand them more since I am new to off-roading. It's very easy to get carried away with ideas before budget constraints bring you back to reality.

The most important thing I can tell you is DON'T GO INTO DEBT BUYING PARTS! Save up and pay cash as much as possible. It's very easy to put some things on credit and then it snowballs. Learn from mine and others mistakes.
Back to top Go down
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

Number of posts : 1278
Rig : black '07 Rubicon
specs. : 4.5&quot; Long Arm, 35 KM2's
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 11:19 am

welcome...and that which has needed to be said has been said...

so

im new too the sport. 560490

lol...j/k (about the finger/I think)

We're a good group of people that may bust a few balls here and there...but its for everyone's benifit
Back to top Go down
xxXJohnny
Got No Life
Got No Life
xxXJohnny

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 12:15 pm

Yeah we are just picking on you I'm running a procomp 4" lift and 37" tires and I do ok with that
Back to top Go down
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 3:04 pm

Quote from Great Pumpkin: The most important thing I can tell you is DON'T GO INTO DEBT BUYING PARTS!

X2, it'll happen soon......................just slow your roll! I know it's exciting, but you'll have lots of time to mod. Just do it in phases, like I do. I pay cash only for my jeep goodies, if there ain't no cash, there aint no mods im new too the sport. Icon_sad, however, there is always next month or the next, etc., and all the goodies will still be there!

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 3:14 pm

#1. No i am not a liar
#2. No i am not a yuppie fag im paying for this shit no parents involved
#3. Yes i do plan on buying this lift, or one similar. Im looking for people who have had problems with them before so i know what im getting, the good and the bad.
#4. yes i can describe the benifits of a long arm kit, and quite frankly i know that with the wheeling im gonna be doing it probably isnt needed but at least ill be prepaired.
#5. If this is the best you can do then ya i can hang just fine.

nah man i have no intent on going into debt further than the car payment, i plan on doing it in stages but you cant put tires without lift so thats my plan for starters followed by some power upgrades. And truth be told i dont mind saving and paying for quality escpecially these days, so much cheep shit has been made. Good looking out you guys.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 4:14 pm

actually, if you run fenderless, you can get away with no lift and 35s. just trim the pinch seam in the rear. you'd have to do that even with a lift.

you can look around for some used 4-door stock rubi springs which will give you about 1" of lift and pull your fenders and run 35s. this will get you around for a while. you can also run a 3/4" leveling spacer in the front for more clearance. try that for a while. see how it works for you before dropping $2k on a lift. for that cash, you can get yourself a cheap lift (3" springs), bumper and winch. That would probably benefit you the most starting off. then after wheeling for a while you'll get a good idea of what lift you really want and need.

If many off us had done this, we'd have saved some cash and kicks in the a$$. you'd really be suprised at how many lifts many of us have gone thru, pieced together, and swapped from one of us to another.

If i had $2k to spend, I'd go with the RE 3.5" LA kit. Thats just me tho.
Back to top Go down
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 4:31 pm

Tvernon wrote:
#1. No i am not a liar
#2. No i am not a yuppie fag im paying for this shit no parents involved
#3. Yes i do plan on buying this lift, or one similar. Im looking for people who have had problems with them before so i know what im getting, the good and the bad.
#4. yes i can describe the benifits of a long arm kit, and quite frankly i know that with the wheeling im gonna be doing it probably isnt needed but at least ill be prepaired.
#5. If this is the best you can do then ya i can hang just fine.

nah man i have no intent on going into debt further than the car payment, i plan on doing it in stages but you cant put tires without lift so thats my plan for starters followed by some power upgrades. And truth be told i dont mind saving and paying for quality escpecially these days, so much cheep shit has been made. Good looking out you guys.

Atta boy, think you will fit in just fine, you go guy! And that's what we do here, look out for each other.
Back to top Go down
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 11:53 pm

what makes the RE 3.5" LA kit better. I'm open to all suggestions and honestly sense I first got here ive basically been convinced just to save the money on something i wont really use anyway. but it wouldn't hurt to know a thing about rubicon express i know nothing about them honestly so im all ears.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Mar 2010, 12:10 am

redneckhouston wrote:
#4. can you explain the benefits of a long arm suspension system, and intelligently explain the terms, anti-dive, anti-squat, instant roll center, and thrust angle?
Honestly I'd love to know the answers to that one... Many terms I kind of think I half-way understand, but mostly from context, as they're rarely actually explained.
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

Number of posts : 697
Rig : 2010 JK unlimited
specs. : changing daily...
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Mar 2010, 10:50 am

Welcome! glad you found us... now about the "volcano", still on?

Oh, and like what has been stated before, you can do some insane, amazing crap in a JK with very little lift, a good set of tires, and maybe a locker.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Mar 2010, 1:20 pm

Tvernon wrote:
what makes the RE 3.5" LA kit better.

not "better" but my choice. I like the radius arm design. It is supposed to give a very good on-road ride as well as offroad flex. Getting better offroad flex while supposedly getting better hwy manners sounds like a win-win to me.

...but i don't have the $$ for it. even if I did, there are other mods I'd do first. supper 44 kit in the rear, SS brake lines, crusher corners front & rear, etc. The list never ends.... only grows im new too the sport. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Mar 2010, 5:14 pm

honestly i feel ya man when i got this thing last october the guy who sold it too me was a huge jeep fan, and he said you can dump the family fortune into these things if your not carefull. I fully understand what he means now.
Back to top Go down
GULFCOAST PIRATE PRINCESS
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULFCOAST PIRATE PRINCESS

Number of posts : 454
Rig : 1994 XJ Cherokee Laredo
specs. : Stock for now... :-(
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitimeSat 27 Mar 2010, 12:18 am

Tvernon wrote:
honestly i feel ya man when i got this thing last october the guy who sold it too me was a huge jeep fan, and he said you can dump the family fortune into these things if your not carefull. I fully understand what he means now.

Yes yes yes this is very true!!! Just ask my other half GCP... LOL LOL LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: im new too the sport.   im new too the sport. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

im new too the sport.
Page 1 of 1