MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Time to pull the trigger and re gear.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mvnolan
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
mvnolan

Number of posts : 53
Rig : 07 2dr X
specs. : 35" Mud Country's, 5.13's, 3 inch lift. RR XHD stubby and a warn 9.5ti.
Registration date : 2009-08-30

Time to pull the trigger and re gear. Empty
PostSubject: Time to pull the trigger and re gear.   Time to pull the trigger and re gear. Icon_minitimeMon 03 May 2010, 1:26 pm

Okay, so here is my question. I am gonna suck it up and drop the money to re gear. Right now I have 3.21's with 32" tires. D30 up front, D44 in the rear. Looking at 35" tires on 16" alloy wheels all the way around. Gonna do all this at the same time. Jeep is an 07X with a six speed, and about 22k. What ratio should I go to? What all am I gonna need? New carrier for the front? What brand and where to get from? I pull a small trailer every now and then, and also a pair of jet skis during the summer. I am also trying to decide if I should keep the rubi rims and tires I bought to use on long trips, or just sell them and be done with it. My commute to work takes less than a minute, so I guess I really need her to be a moderately capable trail rig, without driving like a 3 legged pig in town. Also, who is good with gears? I'm a pretty good wrench, but I ain't doin this little project. Any help is appreciated. I am looking to have this done by Memorial Day weekend, so the project commences now I guess. Time to pull the trigger and re gear. Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time to pull the trigger and re gear.   Time to pull the trigger and re gear. Icon_minitimeMon 03 May 2010, 2:30 pm

Oh no, here we go. All I can say is, get ready for many opinions and you will still be scratching your head trying to figure out what to do.

And here is your first opinion. Call Redneckhouston or Texas Auto Gear and stick with one or the other. DON'T call 249 Drivetrane in Houston. Get the people that do this kind of thing for a living to tell ya what the best route is.

Your welcome: Paul

Back to top Go down
corey d
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
corey d

Number of posts : 61
Rig : 2008 Jeep JK
specs. : No, i dont wear glasses.
Registration date : 2010-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Time to pull the trigger and re gear.   Time to pull the trigger and re gear. Icon_minitimeMon 03 May 2010, 3:32 pm

I had 5:13s and 35s with an auto and i found that it was too much gear on the road. When i went to 37s, it got way better. If i had 35s and never planned on going bigger, i would go with 4:88s. It kinda sucks, cuz you may say that you never plan on going bigger, but later you probably will, so good luck.

corey d
Back to top Go down
toddandshari'sjk
Poster child
Poster child
toddandshari'sjk

Number of posts : 218
Rig : '08 JK Unlimited
Registration date : 2010-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Time to pull the trigger and re gear.   Time to pull the trigger and re gear. Icon_minitimeMon 03 May 2010, 6:39 pm

corey d wrote:
I had 5:13s and 35s with an auto and i found that it was too much gear on the road. When i went to 37s, it got way better. If i had 35s and never planned on going bigger, i would go with 4:88s. It kinda sucks, cuz you may say that you never plan on going bigger, but later you probably will, so good luck.

corey d

Great...I wish I hadn't read this! I was convinced on getting 5.13's....now I have to rethink maybe only going 4.88's
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Time to pull the trigger and re gear.   Time to pull the trigger and re gear. Icon_minitimeMon 03 May 2010, 7:15 pm

I like the 513s with my 35s..... they should be good for the 37s as well.
Back to top Go down
corey d
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
corey d

Number of posts : 61
Rig : 2008 Jeep JK
specs. : No, i dont wear glasses.
Registration date : 2010-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Time to pull the trigger and re gear.   Time to pull the trigger and re gear. Icon_minitimeMon 03 May 2010, 11:41 pm

toddandshari'sjk wrote:
corey d wrote:

corey d

Great...I wish I hadn't read this! I was convinced on getting 5.13's....now I have to rethink maybe only going 4.88's

I would still get the 5:13s if i were you. To tell you the truth, i got the AEV Procal at the same time as i got my 37s, so that was probably a factor.

corey d
Back to top Go down
mvnolan
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
mvnolan

Number of posts : 53
Rig : 07 2dr X
specs. : 35" Mud Country's, 5.13's, 3 inch lift. RR XHD stubby and a warn 9.5ti.
Registration date : 2009-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Time to pull the trigger and re gear.   Time to pull the trigger and re gear. Icon_minitimeTue 04 May 2010, 11:50 am

Yeah Paul, 249 drivetrain makes me nervous. I think I am gonna get with Redneck, I am only 20 miles from Hempstead, and everybody here seems to have great things to say about his work. Thanks for the advice. Thanks to everyone else too. I am really looking forward to using 6th gear... Time to pull the trigger and re gear. Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Time to pull the trigger and re gear.   Time to pull the trigger and re gear. Icon_minitimeTue 04 May 2010, 9:46 pm

Mark...4.88's and 35's has been a great combo for me (6 spd). Hwy driving is fine...you get around 75 @ 3k RPM.
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to pull the trigger and re gear.   Time to pull the trigger and re gear. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time to pull the trigger and re gear.
Page 1 of 1