MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Broken shift cable for transfer case

Go down 
+4
CJATE
N2rock
Mr.RonGilbert
gilly_as
8 posters
AuthorMessage
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

Number of posts : 191
Rig : 07 JK
specs. : Not enough
Registration date : 2010-05-23

Broken shift cable for transfer case Empty
PostSubject: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jun 2010, 9:17 pm

All right, here's the story I was heading off the beach today and as i was leaving i went to shift out of 4 low and when i did the lever went loose. I drove it off the beach and as soon as i got to sloid ground i stopped top check it out. the whole cable seems to be fine from the lever back. So i believe it broke off at the lever. Having said all that my question is how the hell do you take out the center console. i need to get in there so i can asses the damage and hopfully figure out how to fix it. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jun 2010, 9:25 pm

I remember these instructions were easy to follow when I took mine out....

(and I get bonus points if you are installing a Tuffy console)

Tear-down starts on page 3

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/102912.pdf
Back to top Go down
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

PostSubject: Re: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeWed 02 Jun 2010, 9:46 pm

Thanks Ron, I think it will help out alot. I wish i installing a tuffy. I could use one. I'll save these for later on when i get one.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jun 2010, 8:13 am

It's a pretty common occurence- its a clip on the cable that breaks or comes off. I've never had it happen, but have read about it repeatedly. You don't need to do anything to the center console. You access it from underneath. Check out this thread: http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?92162-Write-Up-Request-Transfer-Case-Shifter-Cable-Break/page2
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

PostSubject: Re: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jun 2010, 9:02 am

I've read about that problem on this and some other forums thanks to those posts i knew to check that first. Unfortunately it wasn't that simple. it's still in one piece and where it should be. the cable is still attached to the transfer case and transmission. it the shift handle that is completely loose. I was able to reach up and feel the cable at the transfer case when i shifted it out of 4 low.
Back to top Go down
CJATE
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
CJATE

Number of posts : 88
Rig : 83 Scrambler
specs. : SOA, locked, twinsticked, 35" Krawlers, leaks just about everything
Registration date : 2009-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jun 2010, 11:51 am

guy stuck his JK rubby because of this out at our place. is it really that common? I just assumed he was slamming R-D-R-D trying to rock it out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.CoachMorrison.com
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

PostSubject: update   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jun 2010, 1:43 pm

Well after a little loving pursuasion i finally got to the problem and the little white bushing that holds it together broke into about 10 pieces. Broken shift cable for transfer case 100_0511

I'm going to go down to orielly's and try to find something i can use to put humpty dumpty back to gether again.
Back to top Go down
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

PostSubject: Re: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jun 2010, 4:13 pm

Update #2

Went down to Orielly's and just happened to find a pack of pedal/ shift linkage bushings
Broken shift cable for transfer case 100_0512
After installing the one would work i put an e clip on to make sure it won't come off again.
Broken shift cable for transfer case 100_0513
Now to put it back together again.
I think i might leave the carpets out this time. Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jun 2010, 5:09 pm

usually happens when you are forcing it outta low. it takes a little forward momentum to shift out of 4 low easily.
Back to top Go down
toddandshari'sjk
Poster child
Poster child
toddandshari'sjk

Number of posts : 218
Rig : '08 JK Unlimited
Registration date : 2010-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeThu 03 Jun 2010, 5:22 pm

I've never heard of one breaking on the upper end like that, mine broke on transfer case end, dealership replaced whole cable assy under warranty then a few days later I thought the same thing happened but that time the cable assy came out of bracket thats just a little ways up from where it connects to transfer case... I put 2 big zip ties around it and havent had problem since
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jun 2010, 11:15 am

I broke that POS plastic piece off at K2 as I was shifting out of 4lo and ready to head home.

My junk broke right in the middle of a muddy hole on the trail too. lol. Lemme tell ya, that stuff gets hot underneath there after a whole day of wheeling.
Back to top Go down
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

Number of posts : 758
Rig : 07 2 door X Flamer 6 spd
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jun 2010, 1:51 pm

Happened to me twice, I carry extra clips in my glove box, a POS peice of plastic, really? It'd be a good ideal to carry extras with ya, jus saying.
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jun 2010, 2:07 pm

uup4it wrote:
Happened to me twice, I carry extra clips in my glove box, a POS peice of plastic, really? It'd be a good ideal to carry extras with ya, jus saying.

No doubt! When it happened I told Dern that I had an extra in my glovebox....uh oh, no plastic clips in there. I had 3 of them hanging on my shop's wall at home. DOH!!!!!

No biggie, we got it put back in 2wd by shifting it via the lever on the tcase and I drove it home.
Back to top Go down
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

PostSubject: Re: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitimeFri 04 Jun 2010, 2:15 pm

[quote]No biggie, we got it put back in 2wd by shifting it via the lever on the tcase and I drove it home

that's exactlly what I had to do

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken shift cable for transfer case   Broken shift cable for transfer case Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Broken shift cable for transfer case
Page 1 of 1