MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed????

Go down 
+2
martij3
testrat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
testrat

Number of posts : 105
Rig : 2008 4Dr Rubicon Auto
specs. : Dick Cepeck Crusher Tires and Wheels, 5.38 Gears, Bomb Shell kit and C-gussets, Tom Woods 1350 drive shafts
Registration date : 2010-05-14

2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Empty
PostSubject: 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed????   2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 12:37 am

My JK had new Dick Cepek LT315/70R17's (tires and wheels) on it when I got it from the dealer. I have read thru some of the older posts on the subject. I have the Super Chip programmer programing in the computer now and it has helped. Got the speedo corrected. As the other thread mentioned - cruse control sages about 5mph. These tires are about 33¼/½" tall as apposed to around stock of about 29"? I regularly pull a utility trailer around (with drop gate). It is big enough I have gotten brothers Arura on it to haul to the dealership when it quit once, and couple other cars for one reason or another. Is a single torsion axle, 12ft long. Thing is, at highway speeds, the Jeep won't shift out of 2nd with the "gate" up, empty. **** If I go to 4.88 gears, am I close to what the stock gearing would be with these tires? Or 5.13's? Pulling the trailer - gas milage is low 10's. Without, highway - is around 14mpg. Using 89 octane, running the "91" program on the chip. Non-ethenol fuel. Thanks for your thoughts, input. (Or does anyone make a super charger/turbo charger for the 3.8?) 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_twisted
Back to top Go down
martij3
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
martij3

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed????   2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:57 am

From what I've read, a super charger/turbo charger isn't really worth it compaired to a gear change. I would at least go 5.13's. I did the 5.38's and I love them. It feels like a totally different vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Great Pumpkin
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Great Pumpkin

Number of posts : 191
Rig : 2009 JK Unlimited
specs. : Sunburst Orange / auto / 4WD / half doors
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed????   2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 11:30 am

Stock tire diameter for a Rubicon is 32 inches. The Sport (X) came with 29 inch tires and could be upgraded to larger 32 inch tires.

If you're running 33s, the 4.88 on the auto would get you back to a "stock" feel and the 5.13 would give you some pep and would be recommended if you ever step up to a larger tire (35+). I'm not sure if running a higher programming on the Flashpaq versus the octane gas you're running is helping any.

RIPP makes a supercharger kit for the 3.8L which seems to be a very solid kit.
http://www.rippmods.com/2007_2009_Jeep_Wrangler_JK_V_3_Si_Trim_Intercooled_p/0709jk-sds-01.htm
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed????   2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 11:48 am

315/70r17 is about 34.5"x12.5". mine measure 34.25" tall at 35 psi on my 4 door. Some might say that pressure is too high but feels right on my rig.

I have 4.88s and they brought me about back to stock performance. a little better at lower speeds, but on the hwy its a pig. but it was a pig with 32" stock tires too. If i had the $$ I'd do the supercharger. it won't help alot for crawling, but on the highway, it should help quite a bit. not sure about towing though. the 3.8 is weak.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed????   2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 12:46 pm

Yeesh. That supercharger's already got you up to half the price of a hemi swap, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
testrat

specs. : Dick Cepeck Crusher Tires and Wheels, 5.38 Gears, Bomb Shell kit and C-gussets, Tom Woods 1350 drive shafts

PostSubject: Re: 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed????   2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 9:40 pm

Thanks all for the above input. Since I am primarily road use, daily driver, gas mileage is of some importance, but that I also pull a trailer regularly, and need to do it well, your thoughts on the following....(Oh - and thanks for the RIPP link too) : RIPP has the long tube headers, does anyone have/use them? Am considering them and a performance exhaust, so..., if I go with 4.88, 5.13, or 5.38 gears - any clue where my gas mileage will be. Guessing - the 4.88's, and maybe 5.13's things may be better than now - with trailer, maybe with out too. 5.38's - ??? Maybe where I am now? But with much better power to the wheels? I am leaning to the 5.13's or maybe the 5.38's. I do not expect to go to taller tires. I don't expect to do much off-roading, but may someday - when I find the time, and/or somewhere to go (I work 6 days a week, run a bussiness). *** Next year, I hope to be able to budget in the RIPP Supercharger. 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_biggrin *** Hemi swap would be nice, don't see it happening at this time though 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_sad . ** Oh, also the Flashpak - I'm running 90, not 91 - mis-print. I ran the 90 gas a bit, and dropped to the mid-grade 89 (all non-corn fuel) and haven't seen any difference.
***** Thanks guys... *****
Back to top Go down
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
testrat

PostSubject: Re: 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed????   2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 9:47 pm

One other thing... Any preferred brand of gears? And where to get? Have looked so far at Northridge, but have only just started looking. Overhaul or install - kit? Whatever that difference is. <9k miles on the Rubi. <1k with these wheels/tires.
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed????   2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 10:12 pm

There are a few guys on here that can hook you up with gears. Talk to Redneckhouston.

People have had good luck with Yukon and Superior. There are a few others as well.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed????   2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_minitimeThu 24 Jun 2010, 1:51 am

If gas mileage is a factor, you're already in the wrong vehicle Laughing But if you want to tow, too, and run oversize tires, etc, that's going to have to take a back seat.
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed????   2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_minitimeThu 24 Jun 2010, 8:33 am

I know lots of guys with similar setups that went 5:13's and wished that they had gone with the 5:38's. I have the same exact tires as you. Overdrive was useless with the tires/lift. I towed a small enclosed utility trailer to Colorado with the rubi in complete stock form. Let me tell you, it sucked. The trailer is an aerodynamic unit and with the payload it was about 1500lbs. When I was in Kansas and heading into CO, the headwinds were so strong that I was in 2nd for some of the climbs up slight grades.

This is a good thread to read. Soak it in! http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8270&highlight=gears

One good excerpt from the thread: "Now, the second thing. The Auto has an INSANELY deep overdrive compared
to the stick. Run this number. A Rubi, 4:10 6 speed with 35s rolling
down the highway is 40 rpm(yes, 40) less than an Auto with 5:13s and
35s.
"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed????   2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2008 rubicon/auto.. Gearing change needed????
Page 1 of 1