MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Alignment

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dudetx
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Dudetx

Number of posts : 74
Rig : 2010 JKU Rubi
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Alignment Empty
PostSubject: Alignment   Alignment Icon_minitimeFri 07 Jan 2011, 3:05 pm

Got the new lift, tires and wheels on. Anyone recommend a reputable alignment shop in San Antonio that knows JK's to straighten it all back out for me?
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Alignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alignment   Alignment Icon_minitimeFri 07 Jan 2011, 3:58 pm

the only thing they can do is adjust your steering wheel and TOW unless your lift came with cam bolts.

The steering wheel is easy. park or level ground with your wheels straight ahead. Use a 15mm wrench and loosen the bolts on the drag link (loosen, don't remove) and spin the colar forwards or backwards until the wheel is straight again. Then tighten and drive. You may have to do this 2 maybe 3 times to get it as close to perfect as possible.

You can also center your alxe if your lift came with an adj TB, then adjust it a 1/4" longer then the stock one at that will get you really close for a 2.5"-3.5" lift. Another way is to disconnect it from the Frame side mount and then jump/push up and down and side to side on your bumper a few times. It should settle pretty close to centered. Then just adjust the TB until it lines up with the hole and tighten down. The last & most precise way is to measure from the drivers side frame to a spot on the passenger side caliper bolt. Then mesure from the same point on the opposite side (the idea is to measure from the same points on each side). Lets say it shows a 1/2" difference between the two measurements. It should show the distance from the drivers side frame point to the passenger side caliper bolt is shorter than from the passenger frame point to the driver side point. You then take that difference and lengthen the trackbar by HALF the differenct. This should center your axle.

It's almost not worth it to get it done. I've done lots-o-mods w/out an alignment. I should take it in since I have lifetime alignment though. I'll be doing it soon I guess. If you get it done, spring for the extra $$ to get the lifetime alignment. That way you can take it back after each wheeling trip if you don't want to get under the jeep to adjust the steering wheel.

Last edited by jkx0778 on Fri 07 Jan 2011, 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dudetx
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Dudetx

Number of posts : 74
Rig : 2010 JKU Rubi
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Alignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alignment   Alignment Icon_minitimeFri 07 Jan 2011, 4:04 pm

Cool. I centered the wheel already, I'll check the axle and see how far I'm off.

Thanks!

Mark
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alignment   Alignment Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alignment
Page 1 of 1