MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th

Go down 
+18
jk4me
Chris
adaben
Hood
Hook-Em
PunisherTI
lonestar rubi
Jeepbronco1
RiverCityOffroad
Dern
jkx0778
Gadget
Dudetx
Dutchboy101
jeeprookie09
jeff.lyon3
texas-kid
Renee10
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
PunisherTI
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
PunisherTI

Number of posts : 45
Rig : 1991 YJ
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Feb 2011, 7:41 pm

Im in...... Please add
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

Number of posts : 1223
Rig : 2009 Sunburst Orange JK Sahara Unlimited
specs. : 4'' Rancho Sport Lift; 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on 17x8.5 Alloys; Ace Rock Sliders; Poison Spyder Brawler Light Front Bumper; AEM Brute Force CAI
Registration date : 2010-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Feb 2011, 8:07 pm

Here is the list as I see it right now. Awesome! 17 for go. 2 for maybe. Yeeeee-haw! Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 508968

Yes
Texas-kid and guest
Hook-em and daughter(s)
Lonestar rubi
jeeprookie09 and son
adaben and crumb snatchers
Dern
Dutchboy101
DudeTX
Bobby & Renee
Marshall & Naomi
Anita & Doug (Houston)
DJ (Junction)
Richard & Carmen
Gadget +3
Jdlx3
Jeepbronco
PunisherTI

Maybe
Lory
RiverCityOffroad
Back to top Go down
Renee10
Pathetic
Pathetic
Renee10

Number of posts : 2515
Rig : 2007 Stone White 2-Door
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 12:15 am

I had a few guys ask about levels of trails and so forth. If you are new to wheeling the ranch has a few ranch roads and other areas you can go on, this would be a great place to learn how to use the 4wheel drive, see what other guys have and learn how things go. The creek beds are a bigger challenge but not impossible. We will be splitting the group (probably 2) and putting some experience wheelers in each group. I am attaching a list of "things to know or bring".

If you are fully stock, the creek beds can be challenging for you, there are some "bypasses" but not in all areas. All vehicles planning to travel down the creek beds will need to disconnect the front swag bar and air down tires. We are happy to help everyone, quick disconnects are a great asset. Please see info below.
If you are new to wheeling here are a few tips to consider before you go, this is not inclusive and Murphy’s Law applies

* The club will never leave anyone behind we all work together to help with tools, parts or labor
* Most of the trails we go on are mild to moderate rated 2 to 4 on a scale of 1 to 5, many trails have “bypasses” , no one will be pressured to wheel a trail they do not feel comfortable with
* Be prepared you may get some damage anywhere from a scratch to axle break (this is not guaranteed, you may wheel for years without any damage but just be prepared)
* We always disconnect the front sway bar and air down our tires down for better off-road traction
* Quick disconnects are easy and are recommended but if you do have them bring a wrench
* An air down tool is helpful
* Portable air pump for airing back up
Be prepared to be on the trail a few hours before returning to camp
* Flip flops are not recommended, wear tennis shoes or hiking boots
* Tow hooks on front and rear are highly recommended, really a must so you can be pulled if needed
* Tow strap & shackle are very helpful
Things to bring
Ice chest with drinks and snacks, sandwich (you will want to strap down the ice chest so it doesn't roll around, bungee cord or tie down strap will work)
Bug spray
A few tools, wrenches, screw drivers, pliers
Portable air compressor (we will share if you don't have one)
Folding chair
Sun screen
Spare tire
Gloves

Back to top Go down
http://www.jeep-nation.com
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

specs. : 4'' Rancho Sport Lift; 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on 17x8.5 Alloys; Ace Rock Sliders; Poison Spyder Brawler Light Front Bumper; AEM Brute Force CAI

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 10:19 am

Thanks again, Renee for a thorough list of tips for the trip. I for one am really looking forward to learning more about my rigs capabilities. Gonna have us some fun!
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 2:34 pm

For all first-timers going out, you're rigs are more capable than you are right now.

You will hear loud creaks and little popping sounds. This is the frame and suspension flexing. It's ok.

You may also hear/feel loud thumps on more challenging obstacles. This is likely just the suspension bottoming out or a skidplate making a little contact with a rock. This is normal and ok. They are doing what they are made for. After you make it through the obstacle, you'll jump down, crawl under your jeep to see the "damage," and for the most part, find only small, hardly noticable scratches in the paint on the frame or skid plates.

All these sounds are scary and will make you feel uneasy the first time out. May even make your stomach turn. Don't worry. We will do our best to get you out of there with little to no damage (as Renee said, things do happen sometimes no matter how well we plan against it). Like I said, the Jeep is made to handle a lot more than most of you will even attempt your first couple of times out. This is a good thing. You will learn the limits of your jeep and better help you decide which mods you will need next time. We won't be telling you to do more than your rig is capable of. None of us want you to break ANYTHING, especially on the trail. We want you all to have a fun and safe time and want to go out again. Nobody will pressure you to do anything you don't want to. BUT, you have to tell us you don't want to. I'll tell you if your jeep can make it up an obstacle and spot you all the way, but only YOU can decide if YOU can make it up that obstacle.

A couple more recommendations:
- Listen to your spotters
- Slow and Steady 99% of the time (easy on the GO pedal)
- If you're having trouble shifting your Transfer Case - ASK SOMEBODY!! Pulling or shoving as hard as you can is almost guaranteed to leave you stranded on the trail with a broken shift cable retainer clip
- Please respect other peoples safety on the trail
- Whatever you bring in, haul out (DO NOT leave trash on the trail)
- If you have extra fluids (oil, transmission, diff) bring it

Looks to be a great day for wheeling and looking forward to having fun.
Be safe, and see you all there.
Back to top Go down
Dern
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Dern

Number of posts : 404
Rig : 07 Rubicon Unlimited
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 7:58 pm

We made it to Fredricksburg, see you tomorrow at Canyon's.
Back to top Go down
Dudetx
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Dudetx

Number of posts : 74
Rig : 2010 JKU Rubi
Registration date : 2009-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 9:34 pm

Can't remember, do they have concessions at Canyons?
Back to top Go down
Jeepbronco1
Poster child
Poster child
Jeepbronco1

Number of posts : 281
Rig : 07 unlimited rescue green X
specs. : 3.25 rc lift .37s on 17's .... lots of homebuilt parts!
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 9:44 pm

bad news im out! been up in ftworth working on a new project.... jeep truck mod !!! pretty cool if it all works !! Im stoked about it , ill post up pics soon! Also Danny or Renee I believe yall have my number if yall could text me when yall leave if everyone ends up doing dinner like last time brandee and may swing by on the way from FT worth. Yall have fun be safe, try not to break to much!!! If by miracle i leave early i may try to swing a half day, but cant count on it!
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 10:59 pm

jkx0778 wrote:
For all first-timers going out, you're rigs are more capable than you are right now.

You will hear loud creaks and little popping sounds. This is the frame and suspension flexing. It's ok.

You may also hear/feel loud thumps on more challenging obstacles. This is likely just the suspension bottoming out or a skidplate making a little contact with a rock. This is normal and ok. They are doing what they are made for. After you make it through the obstacle, you'll jump down, crawl under your jeep to see the "damage," and for the most part, find only small, hardly noticable scratches in the paint on the frame or skid plates.

All these sounds are scary and will make you feel uneasy the first time out. May even make your stomach turn. Don't worry. We will do our best to get you out of there with little to no damage (as Renee said, things do happen sometimes no matter how well we plan against it). Like I said, the Jeep is made to handle a lot more than most of you will even attempt your first couple of times out. This is a good thing. You will learn the limits of your jeep and better help you decide which mods you will need next time. We won't be telling you to do more than your rig is capable of. None of us want you to break ANYTHING, especially on the trail. We want you all to have a fun and safe time and want to go out again. Nobody will pressure you to do anything you don't want to. BUT, you have to tell us you don't want to. I'll tell you if your jeep can make it up an obstacle and spot you all the way, but only YOU can decide if YOU can make it up that obstacle.

A couple more recommendations:
- Listen to your spotters
- Slow and Steady 99% of the time (easy on the GO pedal)
- If you're having trouble shifting your Transfer Case - ASK SOMEBODY!! Pulling or shoving as hard as you can is almost guaranteed to leave you stranded on the trail with a broken shift cable retainer clip
- Please respect other peoples safety on the trail
- Whatever you bring in, haul out (DO NOT leave trash on the trail)
- If you have extra fluids (oil, transmission, diff) bring it

Looks to be a great day for wheeling and looking forward to having fun.
Be safe, and see you all there.

Could not have put it any better. What I can say is,"this group wheels in together, it wheels out together!!!". Nobody has to worry, I will guaranty that!!!
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 12:08 am

Anybody know if they take credit cards @ Canyons, particularly Discover? I have cash, but might need to get more. It would be nice to know BEFORE I get there.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Hood
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Hood

Number of posts : 67
Rig : 94 YJ
specs. : 4.0/5spd
Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 12:17 am

Yall have fun out there and take pictures. I just have too much junk to take care of this weekend.
Back to top Go down
adaben
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
adaben

Number of posts : 74
Rig : 99 TJ
Registration date : 2010-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 12:35 am

We are going to be at Bill Millers. Is anybody else going to meet for breakfast?
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 1:11 am

OK, we are all meeting at the gas station at I-10 and 46 and leaving at 0900. I noticed that there is a Shell and and Exxon at that location, but I figure 18 Jeeps can't be too hard to spot, so which gas station isn't really all that significant. The latest tally I have is as below. My apologies if I missed someone. There are actually two threads on this trip so it is entirely possible I did miss someone.

Yes
Texas-kid and guest
Hook-em and daughter
Lonestar rubi
jeeprookie09 and son
adaben and crumb snatchers
Dern (Meeting us at Canyons)
Dutchboy101
DudeTX
Bobby & Renee
Marshall & Naomi
Anita & Doug (Houston)
DJ (Junction)
Richard & Carmen
Gadget +3
Jdlx3
PunisherTI

Maybe
Lory
RiverCityOffroad
Jeepbronco

It's gonna be a beautiful day and I am really psyched about this trip. It will be my first big caravan. By the way, I reconnected my CB tonight, is there a particular channel I should set my radio to? I seem to recall hearing channel 4. Relying on my memory is always a risky proposition. See you all around 0845.
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 27 Feb 2011, 11:21 am

AWESOME TIME! Huge turn out, 20 rigs in all. We ran some good trails, only one break down, which could have been avoided. All in all a good time
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 27 Feb 2011, 1:41 pm

Had a great time, fun to go out and play with the Jeep again.
Thank you all for stopping when the Jeep had a hiccup with the Front Drive Shaft.

Can't wait to go out again soon.
Back to top Go down
texas-kid
Poster child
Poster child
texas-kid

Number of posts : 321
Rig : 07 jk 2 dr red rock
specs. : A couple of scratches, dents and a few broken parts now and then!!!
Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 27 Feb 2011, 2:36 pm

Thanks had a great time... I think I got 3 women hooked on wheeling! When is our next trip?
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 27 Feb 2011, 3:03 pm

Did anyone take any pictures?
Back to top Go down
Renee10
Pathetic
Pathetic
Renee10

Number of posts : 2515
Rig : 2007 Stone White 2-Door
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 27 Feb 2011, 9:48 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.jeep-nation.com
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 27 Feb 2011, 10:06 pm

Great pics Renee!
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 27 Feb 2011, 10:22 pm

ribbit Nice pics!
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Feb 2011, 1:32 am

What a great day it was. I really enjoyed pushing Hook-em. Sure wish I could have conquered "The Big Hole". Just one of those times when close wasn't enough.

I still have mud all over my rig. I'm half afraid to wash it off for fear that I'll see all the actual battle damage affraid! On the other-hand, my rig looks pretty awesome with all that mess on it.

Sure wish we'd had someone in our group taking pics. I have some videos of a winch recovery of PunisherTI, and my repeated fails at "The Big Hole". I but do not have an account online to host them, so if somebody is willing, I'll get them to you for hosting.

I had a great time. Thanks a million to Sasha, Joe and Doug for their guidance and spotting! Thanks Renee for coordinating everything. Here's looking forward to the next run.
Back to top Go down
Dern
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Dern

Number of posts : 404
Rig : 07 Rubicon Unlimited
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Feb 2011, 1:33 am

lonestar rubi wrote:
AWESOME TIME! Huge turn out, 20 rigs in all. We ran some good trails, only one break down, which could have been avoided. All in all a good time

What break down could have been avoided?
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Feb 2011, 8:01 am

Yours. Try an obstacle 2 or 3 times even 4 and when you can't do, winch or go around. Don't repeatedly try and try until you break down.

And it was a complete lack of respect to the group when you took Richard's spare parts to fix your rig and tried to do the obstacle again. Spare parts are meant to get you out and home, not to keep wheeling.
Back to top Go down
jeeprookie09
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
jeeprookie09

Number of posts : 40
Rig : 07 JK
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Feb 2011, 9:38 am

I have a couple of pics from our group ill put up. Dave if you send ur pics to me ill get them up.
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Feb 2011, 10:01 am

Thanks for offering, Ian. I don't have any pics though Sad I have video, but no video hosting membership. Thanks again.

Last edited by Hook-Em on Mon 28 Feb 2011, 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th    Canyons Off-Road  Feb 26th  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Canyons Off-Road Feb 26th
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next