MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wheels/Tires advice

Go down 
+3
redneckhouston
Duke
N2rock
7 posters
AuthorMessage
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Wheels/Tires advice Empty
PostSubject: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeSun 11 May 2008, 8:49 am

So I'm thinking about getting new wheels and tires. I really like the look of 16" wheels, so thinking I want to go that route.

I have auto with 4.10's

I really don't want to go to a 35" tire since this is my DD, and I'm a
bit of a lead foot- currently on 32" BFG's I'm getting about 13-14mph
(all city driving). I'm sure George and Jennie are going to tell me the 35's will be fine and I should go with those lol! And I haven't ruled that out either because if I go with 35's, I would just keep my existing 17" rims thus even out the price difference. Though I would really prefer to put on some new wheels too.

Obviously a 33" tire on a 16" wheel is going to be pretty heavy-
approximately the equivalent weight of a 34" on 17's (of course it
won't be as much, but you know what I mean).

So the question is, will putting 33's on 16" wheels rob my power, rape my mileage, and make O/D un-usable? Would this pretty much be the same as power stealing as putting 35's on my 17" wheels?
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
Duke
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Duke

Number of posts : 477
Rig : JEEP
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeSun 11 May 2008, 11:18 am

If you would ever considered a set of 35's, do it now when you are upgrading. Several times over the last few years I've bought tires only to buy another set before the first wore out only because I didn't buy what I really wanted the first time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeSun 11 May 2008, 4:17 pm

Your going to get a million different answers, DO WHAT YOU WANT TO.
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeSun 11 May 2008, 4:55 pm

Paul08Wrangler wrote:

x2

but realize 33's wont make much difference from what you have now on the trail
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeSun 11 May 2008, 7:32 pm

redneckhouston wrote:
Paul08Wrangler wrote:

x2

but realize 33's wont make much difference from what you have now on the trail

Yeah, I know... I'm thinking cosmeticly, which is probably a mistake because then I'll wish I had bigger on the trail. I'm going to go back to thinking about it..... again
Back to top Go down
MudHound
Got No Life
Got No Life
MudHound

Number of posts : 1323
Rig : 97 TJ
specs. : Part TJ, Part JK, Part CJ, Part K30.....The hell?
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeMon 12 May 2008, 5:33 am

I'm also a lead foot and I never really saw much of a dro in MPGs when going up to 35s IMO
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeMon 12 May 2008, 9:54 am

don't go with the Nitto for DD. take it from me but way to soft. Great for rock krawlin.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeMon 12 May 2008, 10:09 am

I'm leaning toward the 33's with new wheels... my reasoning

35's with stock rims will require spacer- so add on another $200. Whereas with 33's and new rims I can get 4.25 back spacing and be set

35's- the speedometer will be off more than it is with 33's (33's I probably won't even notice the difference). Add another $200 if I want to have the speedometer corrected on 35's

I would indeed like to have 35's for wheeling. But reality is that the vast majority of my driving in city driving. I've been wheeling pretty good with my 32" BFG's. And while the 35's would allow me to "do more", I just am starting to feel that the extra off-road ability isn't really justified for the costs involved.
Back to top Go down
MudHound
Got No Life
Got No Life
MudHound

Number of posts : 1323
Rig : 97 TJ
specs. : Part TJ, Part JK, Part CJ, Part K30.....The hell?
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeMon 12 May 2008, 12:45 pm

I'll sale you a set of spacers for $150 and I'll bring them to your door step. Oh and the correcting the speedo becomes pointless once you get use to thinking 10%-20% more then what your speedo is telling you
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeMon 12 May 2008, 12:47 pm

that is sound reasoning i guess..........

i would look real long and hard at the bfg's then they are the best wearing mud tire ive ever owned and many others say the same thing

and there are some smoking deals to be had on the old km's right now as the will be discontinued in a couple of months
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
CRUX
Forum-ban-hammer-er
CRUX

Number of posts : 3197
Rig : 2007 JK RUBI unlimited
specs. : 3.5 Rock Krawler X-factor mid arm
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeMon 12 May 2008, 11:01 pm

I would spend my money on BFG`s. Like G said, best wearing A/T & M/T around IMO. Thats all I`ve been running for years. So if you decide on BFG`s, make sure they`re the size you want, cuz they`ll be around for quite a while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruzcreation.com
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeTue 13 May 2008, 10:59 am

Yeah... Talked to G yesterday and he somehow swayed me to go with 35" BFG's LOL... But now the problem is going to be finding them.
Back to top Go down
CRUX
Forum-ban-hammer-er
CRUX

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeWed 14 May 2008, 9:58 pm

In2Mud wrote:
Yeah... Talked to G yesterday and he somehow swayed me to go with 35" BFG's LOL... But now the problem is going to be finding them.
Thats cuz he just wants to sell you his with 20 grand on the wear for a nominal charge 🤣
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeWed 14 May 2008, 10:02 pm

sound advice. been there, done that.

Duke wrote:
If you would ever considered a set of 35's, do it now when you are upgrading. Several times over the last few years I've bought tires only to buy another set before the first wore out only because I didn't buy what I really wanted the first time.
Back to top Go down
CRUX
Forum-ban-hammer-er
CRUX

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitimeWed 14 May 2008, 10:11 pm

jkx0778 wrote:
sound advice. been there, done that.

Duke wrote:
And here`s for you G.....................x2 🤣
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheels/Tires advice   Wheels/Tires advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wheels/Tires advice
Page 1 of 1