MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

AC blower fan no longer changes speed.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheBigOnion
Poster child
Poster child
TheBigOnion

Number of posts : 216
Rig : 2000 JEEP TJ
specs. : Red
Registration date : 2009-10-03

AC blower fan no longer changes speed. Empty
PostSubject: AC blower fan no longer changes speed.   AC blower fan no longer changes speed. Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

Hello all,
I have a big question. I guess my question will be in the form of a statement. And we will see if anyone can give me any suggestions.

A while back my AC stopped blowing. I could hear it click on in the motor, but no blower fan. I went and bought a new switch and put it in...Nothing. So I went and bought a new relay and put it in...Nothing. After that I went down to check on the resistor and notice that one of the wires going it was a bit stripped. I took my multi-meter and put it on the wire and then touched the bottom of the Jeep to see if there was a current. And "boom" the fan started blowing at full speed. Not knowing what else to do, I attached a wire to the stripped one and grounded it. Now my AC blows at full speed all the time. (which is fine during these 100+ temp days) After speaking with my mechanic, he suggested replacing the resistor because he says they do go out. So I replaced it and....Nothing.

So at this point as far as I can tell I have replaced everything except the fan, which seems to work anyways. I am trying to sell this Jeep so I really need to get it fixed. Does anyone know what else I can try? Honestly I really do not know how to work the multi-meter that well so I am not sure what to do. I was thinking of taking out the resistor again and trying all the different wires while I turned the switch to see if they are all getting juice, but I really don't know how to do that.

Thanks,
Michael

Back to top Go down
http://www.thebigonion.com
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: AC blower fan no longer changes speed.   AC blower fan no longer changes speed. Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 12:36 pm

scratch Well hell, the only thing left is the blower motor.
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: AC blower fan no longer changes speed.   AC blower fan no longer changes speed. Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 2:41 pm

Take off the top and doors.
Back to top Go down
Stouttrout
Poster child
Poster child
Stouttrout

Number of posts : 347
Rig : Multiple (too many) JEEPS
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: AC blower fan no longer changes speed.   AC blower fan no longer changes speed. Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 4:42 pm

How is the resistor set up? Is there a separate ground for it? i would imagine that partially stripped wire is because it got hot and shrunk up or got hot and pieces broke off. Have you tried hot wiring the motor on Low?

I have an old Chevy do this once and I just let blow on high and would turn down the chill factor some. Got used to it and it never gave me a problem and i never fixed it.
Back to top Go down
HerJK-X
Poster child
Poster child
HerJK-X

Number of posts : 288
Rig : 2008 JK Unlimited X
Registration date : 2010-07-27

PostSubject: Re: AC blower fan no longer changes speed.   AC blower fan no longer changes speed. Icon_minitimeSat 23 Jul 2011, 11:32 pm

Paul said, if you have a test light, check the 2 wire terminal on the blower motor, see if both wires are hot or grounded. If both wires are hot, you lost ground to the blower motor. If both are grounded, possibly have a broken wire from the resistor to the blower motor.

What year is the jeep? Possibly for a wiring diagram.
Back to top Go down
TheBigOnion
Poster child
Poster child
TheBigOnion

Number of posts : 216
Rig : 2000 JEEP TJ
specs. : Red
Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: AC blower fan no longer changes speed.   AC blower fan no longer changes speed. Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jul 2011, 5:03 pm

It is a 2000.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thebigonion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AC blower fan no longer changes speed.   AC blower fan no longer changes speed. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AC blower fan no longer changes speed.
Page 1 of 1