MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

finally got rid of an annoying clunk

Go down 
+3
jonsjeep
CRUX
N2rock
7 posters
AuthorMessage
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

finally got rid of an annoying clunk Empty
PostSubject: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitimeSun 03 Aug 2008, 11:29 am

Ever since the last Corpus trip, I have had this extremely annoying "clunk" on the front end. It started out only occurring when I turned far left or right- if I turned far one direction, then it would not occur in that direction again until I turned far the other way. I had Shannon turn the wheel each direction, and what I discovered was the front axle would shift slightly, and as it did so the passenger side coil would "slip" slightly out of it's little notch in the lower perch. George said that was probably my trackbar.

So last weekend I got under there and tighten the bolts on each end. I don't have a torque wrench that goes above 100, so instead I just put a 2 foot cheater bar on my wrench and cranked down hard. Well, that kinda helped, and kinda didn't. The coil was no longer slipping, so that clunk was gone ((Yay)). But now I had a new clunk, and this one wasn't limited to hard turns, it was occurring EVERY turn! I could not locate where it was coming from, so for the past week it has annoyed the living shit out of me- every single turn, no matter how little, caused this new clunk!

So yesterday I laid under it while Shannon turned the wheel back and forth. Drove me friggin nuts trying to locate the sound. Took forever- it sounded like it was coming from behind the passenger front tire, until I would lay back there and then it would sound like it was coming from in front of the drivers side. Aaaarrrgghhh.

Then I spotted it- the trackbar on the passenger side- it would jump just a tiny bit, and I mean TINY! Almost completely un-noticable. But once I spotted it, I could clearly see it move ever so slightly every time the clunk sound occurred. I put the Jeep back up on the ramps, put my wrench and cheater bar back on, and cranked to the point that my arms and legs felt like they couldn't take any more- got the bolt to move about 1/4 turn more.

Ah!!! It was so nice to drive yesterday without hearing that noise on every turn! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
CRUX
Forum-ban-hammer-er
CRUX

Number of posts : 3197
Rig : 2007 JK RUBI unlimited
specs. : 3.5 Rock Krawler X-factor mid arm
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitimeSun 03 Aug 2008, 12:45 pm

And I thought it was the body in the back.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruzcreation.com
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitimeMon 04 Aug 2008, 10:31 am

hahaha lol!
Back to top Go down
jflys yj
Got No Life
Got No Life
jflys yj

Number of posts : 886
Rig : 93 YJ
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2008, 12:38 am

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jfly22
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2008, 3:19 am

sometimes its nice to be able to say " TOLD YA SO"
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
CRUX
Forum-ban-hammer-er
CRUX

Number of posts : 3197
Rig : 2007 JK RUBI unlimited
specs. : 3.5 Rock Krawler X-factor mid arm
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitimeWed 06 Aug 2008, 6:47 pm

redneckhouston wrote:
sometimes its nice to be able to say " TOLD YA SO"

Get in the trunk 🦇
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruzcreation.com

PostSubject: Re: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 3:30 pm

hmmm...on our ride back I thought we figured it was the hood flapping, timed it with the clunk. But even on a non-windy day or with the wind there is a slight clunking, so I'll have to check this out. Everything else is tight, even the steering is tight which was a culprit for some JK'rs.

thanks for the post Steve
Back to top Go down
matthew2000tx
Poster child
Poster child
matthew2000tx

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008, 4:38 pm

how loud was the clunk? I get a tiny one in the steering then moving it back and fourth left and right, i feel it in the steering too, but I can't firgure out if it is just normal steering linkage or if something is loose. I'll have to lay under mine and have the mrs do that too.

Also, I get a strange vibration when turning hard left or right on a downward inclined turn. Like on those circular on and off ramps at hwy intersections. Did you experience this at all? I've replaced all my shocks, steerstablizer and I have a front and rear adjustable trackbar in the garage that I need to put on so I can rule that out!
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008, 7:32 pm

matthew2000tx wrote:
how loud was the clunk? I get a tiny one in the steering then moving it back and fourth left and right, i feel it in the steering too, but I can't firgure out if it is just normal steering linkage or if something is loose. I'll have to lay under mine and have the mrs do that too.

Sounds like what I was experiencing. Have the Mrs turn the wheel- and you have to watch VERY CLOSE to see it.

matthew2000tx wrote:

Also, I get a strange vibration when turning hard left or right on a downward inclined turn. Like on those circular on and off ramps at hwy intersections. Did you experience this at all? I've replaced all my shocks, steerstablizer and I have a front and rear adjustable trackbar in the garage that I need to put on so I can rule that out!

Can't answer that- we don't have any of those circular ramps around here.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008, 9:51 pm

matthew2000tx wrote:

sounds like its the ESP. mine used to do that alot until i got my steering wheel lined up.

right now i'm getting a little ??? clicking?? feeling from the steering & gas pedal. a very slight vibration when i hit any little imperfection in the road. like somethings loose. i think its the ball joints though. each one has about 1/8" play up & down.

what do you guys think.
Back to top Go down
matthew2000tx
Poster child
Poster child
matthew2000tx

PostSubject: Re: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitimeSun 28 Sep 2008, 12:45 am

jkx0778 wrote:

sounds like its the ESP. mine used to do that alot until i got my steering wheel lined up.

right now i'm getting a little ??? clicking?? feeling from the steering & gas pedal. a very slight vibration when i hit any little imperfection in the road. like somethings loose. i think its the ball joints though. each one has about 1/8" play up & down.

what do you guys think.

Did your ESP light go off then... Mine never has when it did does this.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitimeSun 28 Sep 2008, 3:08 pm

yeah, my light would flash on the dash. if your's isn't then i really dont know what it could be.
Back to top Go down
matthew2000tx
Poster child
Poster child
matthew2000tx

PostSubject: Re: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitimeSun 28 Sep 2008, 4:58 pm

yeah mine ESP light never goes off when I get that strange vibration. It feels like something in the steering is binding up. I also feel it in the break pedal. It first happened after a meet up last year when I was following Adam over to Bass Pro Shops from Hills'n'dales. I just try to aviod those cicular turns. I'm working with an auto shop on Bandera Road to figure out what the heck it could be.

I have a shake at 51-53 mph. I replaced shocks and steering stablizer to get rid of the tera-flex extenders, so I ruled that out! Next is those adj. Track bars I have sitting in the garage, if that dosen't fix it I'll order some adjust control arms or a new lift kit (since it is the same price as a full set of arms). When does the spending stop.. I'd like to put some rails and bumpers on but this damn shake is freakn' drivin' me up the wall! (or almost in those dam cicular turns) so until that gets fixed I can't buy more fun stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: finally got rid of an annoying clunk   finally got rid of an annoying clunk Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

finally got rid of an annoying clunk
Page 1 of 1