MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"THUNK" noise while steering now?!

Go down 
+3
terrahawk
Renee10
akonius
7 posters
AuthorMessage
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

"THUNK" noise while steering now?! Empty
PostSubject: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 1:24 pm

Hey guys - I noticed this morning whenever I turned my wheels, I heard a "thunk" in the front end...? I assume this must be linked to the new tires or something...? Only happens once per turn on the steering wheel...Any ideas on what it could be? I just did the Woods SS relocation...maybe it got loose? I need to wait for someone to get home so they can turn the wheel while I'm underneath the front end to hear/see what's going on... Shocked

hope it's nothing! Lemme know if anyone has had this happen to theirs before.

Thanks in advance!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
Renee10
Pathetic
Pathetic
Renee10

Number of posts : 2515
Rig : 2007 Stone White 2-Door
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 1:32 pm

Do you have lockers? If so it could be a problem there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jeep-nation.com
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 1:37 pm

no lockers...open d30 in the front - nothing else up there other than JKS quick discos, BB, and the Woods SS relo - pretty stock.
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 1:39 pm

Sounds like the slip joint on the steering shaft. If you have a needle attachemnt for a grease gun, I can show you how to lube it when yuo pick up that spacer.
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 2:14 pm

post up pictures on how to do that Terrahawk. i'd like to lube mine too. also, Akonius check your front track bar. it may be the culprit too.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 3:17 pm

Trackbar... Mine did the same thing last summer. One thunk when turning either direction.

Get under there and crank the living shit out of the trackbar bolts.

Might be that relocation bracket too- so crank it down good as well.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 3:30 pm

terrahawk wrote:
Sounds like the slip joint on the steering shaft. If you have a needle attachemnt for a grease gun, I can show you how to lube it when yuo pick up that spacer.

I've only got a zerk fitting on my grease gun...I'll see if I can pick one up at AutoZone?

If you're gonna be around later - let me know and I can stop by...maybe you'll have a better idea when you see it. Lemme know what time is good for you.
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 3:36 pm

N2rock wrote:
Trackbar... Mine did the same thing last summer. One thunk when turning either direction.

Get under there and crank the living shit out of the trackbar bolts.

Might be that relocation bracket too- so crank it down good as well.

ahh...soo - you may be onto something. In order to put on the Woods Steering Stabilizer relo - we had to remove the trackbar bolt (last Thursday!). We used an impact air tool to put it back on....maybe that's the culprit...not tight enough!

Jody - you got a cheater bar to try out?? Maybe we could try that out 1st...I'll still see about getting the needle adaptor though for the slip joint lube.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 3:46 pm

akonius wrote:

ahh...soo - you may be onto something. In order to put on the Woods Steering Stabilizer relo - we had to remove the trackbar bolt (last Thursday!). We used an impact air tool to put it back on....maybe that's the culprit...not tight enough!

yeah- I had Shannon turn the wheel back & forth. You have to be staring right at the stabilizer mount to see it move, because the movement in very tiny amount. If you're not staring directly at it, you won't see it. I then cranked down the bolts on both ends of the trackbar to be safe. I've had no issues since.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 4:28 pm

akonius wrote:
terrahawk wrote:

I've only got a zerk fitting on my grease gun...I'll see if I can pick one up at AutoZone?

If you're gonna be around later - let me know and I can stop by...maybe you'll have a better idea when you see it. Lemme know what time is good for you.

I'll be home around 7:30 Tony.
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 5:29 pm

terrahawk wrote:
I'll be home around 7:30 Tony.

cool - I'll give you a call before then and see if I can stop by.
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeWed 01 Apr 2009, 4:16 pm

Well...Steve was right! I went over to Jody's last night and with a couple wicked yanks on a breaker bar - that trackbar bolt cranked about a 1/2 turn...lo and behold - NO MORE THUNK! Cool!

Thanks a million for the spacer and the help with the trackbar Jody!!!! I'm good to go again! cheers

Only suckee part was snapping that extension while lugging on the spare - I think I sprained my right knee real bad, feels that way anyway! Neoprene brace and a walkin cane for a few days...hope this gets better! Damn Metwrench! :flamingmad:
Back to top Go down
CRUX
Forum-ban-hammer-er
CRUX

Number of posts : 3197
Rig : 2007 JK RUBI unlimited
specs. : 3.5 Rock Krawler X-factor mid arm
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeWed 01 Apr 2009, 5:03 pm

akonius wrote:
Well...Steve was right! I went over to Jody's last night and with a couple wicked yanks on a breaker bar - that trackbar bolt cranked about a 1/2 turn...lo and behold - NO MORE THUNK! Cool!

Thanks a million for the spacer and the help with the trackbar Jody!!!! I'm good to go again! cheers

Only suckee part was snapping that extension while lugging on the spare - I think I sprained my right knee real bad, feels that way anyway! Neoprene brace and a walkin cane for a few days...hope this gets better! Damn Metwrench! :flamingmad:
& Jon
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruzcreation.com
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeThu 02 Apr 2009, 11:52 am

CRUX wrote:
...& Jon

DOH!! My bad - props to you too Jon!! cheers
Back to top Go down
StormTrooper2005
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
StormTrooper2005

Number of posts : 74
Rig : TJ
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeThu 02 Apr 2009, 8:14 pm

OK let me get this straight. You drive to S A and get these wheels, were you trip over an air hose and hurt your knee.

Then you go to mount your spare tire and hurt your knee again.

Dude I seriously think your tires are cursed.

I recommend you trading me for my 35's , a good will gesture like that will break the curse and you will have no more knee problems.

See I am such a good friend that i am willing to risk the wrath of the tire curse to try to help you out.
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 7:45 pm

lol! ...yep, it's been interesting thus far!! Good thing I'm not superstitious!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "THUNK" noise while steering now?!   "THUNK" noise while steering now?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"THUNK" noise while steering now?!
Page 1 of 1