MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Did the LED thing...with RED

Go down 
+6
xxXJohnny
Dutchboy101
CRUX
TxCrawler
jeeperjennie
akonius
10 posters
AuthorMessage
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Did the LED thing...with RED Empty
PostSubject: Did the LED thing...with RED   Did the LED thing...with RED Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 2:29 am

So I was a little bored and decided to do the LED thing as I like how Joanny's Jetta has a cool looking red map light glow...went over to AutoZone and got a pack of (2) 3" Red LED strips by StreetGlow ($17) and then went to RadioShack and got a Rheostat to be able to dim the LED's ($3). We wired the LED's to turn on when you switch on your lights. The inline rheostat was placed in an existing little square opening when you open your glovebox...on the left side lip of the dash...with it, you can dim the LED's or turn them off all together.

Anyway - the LED's look pretty cool on at night - I placed the (2) 3" LED strips just under the lip of the console frame (under the AC/Fan/Temp) control knobs. BTW - in the pics below, the glow of the LED's is not that bright...it's much less light than that - I just had the camera to night mode so it picks up more light for the pic...the red glow is pretty subtle, specially with the dimmer. Like I said, was kinda bored and I had "map light envy"!! LOL!

Did the LED thing...with RED IMG_6403 Did the LED thing...with RED IMG_6404
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

Number of posts : 2929
specs. : Ahhhhh Missing A Few Parts!
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Did the LED thing...with RED   Did the LED thing...with RED Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 5:55 am

I like that

ok but now I have to :threadhijacked

what is with all these Jeepers, I can not tell you how many people have told me that their wives have Jetta's is it some kind of freaky J thing or what? lol

I mean seriously do a poll on one of the bigger forums and see how many people's wives drive Jetta's it will freak you out!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockrash4x4.com
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Did the LED thing...with RED   Did the LED thing...with RED Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 7:44 am

Ummm.... I'm in the Jetta Group as well

Oh BTW It looks great Tony.
Back to top Go down
CRUX
Forum-ban-hammer-er
CRUX

Number of posts : 3197
Rig : 2007 JK RUBI unlimited
specs. : 3.5 Rock Krawler X-factor mid arm
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Did the LED thing...with RED   Did the LED thing...with RED Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 8:48 am

No Jetta here. Most of you have seen my wifes ride. :hiding: Some have even heard it.

Cool looking though Tony!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruzcreation.com
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Did the LED thing...with RED   Did the LED thing...with RED Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 9:48 am

No Jetta here either!!! That is a great mod. Might have to do that sometime when I'm bored. Neutral
Back to top Go down
xxXJohnny
Got No Life
Got No Life
xxXJohnny

Number of posts : 1052
Rig : 2010 Challenger
specs. : Nemesis package
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Did the LED thing...with RED   Did the LED thing...with RED Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 7:19 pm

no jetta here she chose the passat lol
Back to top Go down
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

Number of posts : 1278
Rig : black '07 Rubicon
specs. : 4.5" Long Arm, 35 KM2's
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Did the LED thing...with RED   Did the LED thing...with RED Icon_minitimeWed 08 Apr 2009, 10:23 pm

LOL...thought the Jetta thing was funny too when I found out before about the amount of people...plus, Brandi did drive a Jetta when we got together
Back to top Go down
07_Rubi
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
07_Rubi

Number of posts : 63
Rig : 07 Rubi
specs. : a few
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Did the LED thing...with RED   Did the LED thing...with RED Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009, 4:58 pm

lookin' good!
My Wife drove a Passat as well but traded it recently for a Touareg. My Wife's VW history looks something like this; 2001 Jetta TDI > 2003 Passat 1.8T > 2001 Audi S4 > 2008 Passat Wagon 2.0T > 2006 Touareg V8....she's hooked on VW's & Audis...
Back to top Go down
Swamprat
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Swamprat

Number of posts : 496
Rig : '03 TJ Rubicon, '56 willys truck, '47 CJ-2A , '53 CJ-3B/blazer
Registration date : 2008-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Did the LED thing...with RED   Did the LED thing...with RED Icon_minitimeSat 25 Apr 2009, 10:41 pm

that looks cool...
man I have a hard enough time keeping my sirius radio & cb alive in my jeep from all the mud and rain.. lol ...
Back to top Go down
Renee10
Pathetic
Pathetic
Renee10

Number of posts : 2515
Rig : 2007 Stone White 2-Door
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Did the LED thing...with RED   Did the LED thing...with RED Icon_minitimeSun 26 Apr 2009, 12:54 pm

Love it, where does it wire in...with the lights or do you have an additional switch?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jeep-nation.com
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Did the LED thing...with RED   Did the LED thing...with RED Icon_minitimeSun 26 Apr 2009, 1:21 pm

Renee10 wrote:
Love it, where does it wire in...with the lights or do you have an additional switch?

I tied it into the AC control wiring so that when the lights come on...so does the LED's (orange wire with a grey stripe on the AC control pod). I also in-lined a rheostat so you can dim the LED's...although, the stock dimmer switch also works. I just wanted to be able to dim it more or turn them off all together if I wanted to. Cool thing is you could also get Blue or Green LED's.
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did the LED thing...with RED   Did the LED thing...with RED Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did the LED thing...with RED
Page 1 of 1