MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

5.7 Hemi swap

Go down 
+13
Dern
potlickinpirate
jeff.lyon3
JK_JOE
jkx0778
redneckhouston
Mr.RonGilbert
JK-fredd0
Dutchboy101
..::Ryan::..
Deacon
jonsjeep
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 2:48 pm

Well hell...what can I say. I'm alllllll the way to the finish and wouldn't ya know it, a procal problem.

Here's what happened. I have everything together and ready to start so I plug the procal in and go through the sequence to program the VIN. This has to be done otherwise it won't start. First try, no dice. Try again. Still nothing. Dangit. Try 8 more times nothing. So, I go to sleep more frustrated than eunich in a whore house.

I called AEV this morning and actually spoke with the owner on his cell phone. He had never seen this happen so I end up speaking with one of his engineers. Apparently I should not have "restored" the procal prior to the swap. Doing this permanently voids the VIN from that procal and the procal can't be used on that vehicle again. Go figure. He apologized that the directions don't have this information in it. He said that I would have been just fine leaving it with the modified information in place.

I "thought" that I was being proactive in returning the JK's original PCM to stock. Lo and behold, the VIN isn't just stored in the PCM. It's also in another area. So, I effectively wiped my procal out and it can't be used again until it's reflashed. Nice eh?

The good news is that AEV's customer service is very good. They are trying to get me a procal locally and if not, I'll have one overnighted to me.

So until then, Mr. Blue Balls signing off.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 5:18 pm

That sucks Balls!!!
Back to top Go down
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet

Number of posts : 758
Rig : '08 Rubicon
specs. : 3.25 RC Lift - OR-Fab Stinger
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 6:18 pm

Damn dude...i would be furious...One question...How could you go to sleep? I know I would be driving to where ever they have them at to go buy one thats for damn sure lol
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 6:38 pm

..::Ryan::.. wrote:
How could you go to sleep?

Crown Royal. Lots of it.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 6:58 pm

..::Ryan::.. wrote:
Damn dude...i would be furious...One question...How could you go to sleep? I know I would be driving to where ever they have them at to go buy one thats for damn sure lol

Did you miss the part where he said that his jeep wouldn't start......

He would have to take a cab or hitch a ride.

BigT
it will be a distant memory before you know it - and every time that you push the pedal and something actually happens that extra day wait won't even come to mind.

Have another Cuban (cigar....) and vodka!
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009, 7:42 pm

Thanks everyone. Ron, you're right. It'll all be over with before too long. I think it would irritate me more but right now work has me slammed until Friday evening, which should be about the right time when I can get back to things.
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 9:06 am

Here's a quick update for everyone. I got my Procal on Friday but unfortunately, the dash gear selection indicator was saying that I was in R when the floor shifter and transmission were in P. I did just about everything you could think of. I pulled the transmission valve body and replaced the solenoid pack ($300), checked all the grounds, pulled codes and then retraced a bunch of wires to ensure proper hook up and connection. This went on until Sunday night.

Another JKO member is doing a hemi swap at the same time so we've been speaking about our experiences over the past two weeks. He called last night and asked me to check a diagnostic port (near power brake booster) that's on the AEV harness. It was good but wait...C100, 34 way connector is NOT COMPLETELY PLUGGED IN. WTF, over! I plugged it in and made sure the cam lock was completely activated and voila no more R on the dash. Heck, I don't even have any indicators on my dash now. I think this is b/c the PCM is not programmed to the new VIN. However, I don't have any trouble codes. Yippee!

So, why haven't I started it? The Procal that was shipped to me is DEAD. It does nothing. AEV has a few dead ones floating around and it seems that I was lucky enough to get one. Go figure right? Tito's vodka helped me soothe that ache.

Now all I need to do is wait. Again.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 10:28 am

That sucks, but I bet you're gald you found the problem.
Maybe you can come out to the install party on Saturday and show off that Hemi. I am sure you'll have your procal in by that time.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Nov 2009, 4:20 pm

thebigtman wrote:
It was good but wait...C100, 34 way connector is NOT COMPLETELY PLUGGED IN. WTF, over! I plugged it in and made sure the cam lock was completely activated and voila no more R on the dash. Heck, I don't even have any indicators on my dash now.
I'm seriously looking forward to checking out the finished product one of these days. But that part right there reminded me of a (much smaller) similar problem I had with my front E-Locker not engaging. Turns out the plug had been torn out at some point. Plugged it back in, and it worked great Smile
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 12:53 am

I wish I had news that the hemi fired up tonight but I don't.

This morning I ventured out to my shop while I was on a break from work and opened up my dead procal. I figured that I've got nothing to lose. Amazingly, I found one diode that wasn't connected. So, what the hell, solder it up right?
5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 115

I soldered it but still no joy on the Procal. :thefinger: Call Jordan at AEV. He advises that I put the 3.8 PCM back in the Jeep. So I put it back in the Jeep and do the hokie pokie and go to try it out. I program the procal to mod the tire size. Success! Woohoo, now we're cooking. I try to pull the codes and accidentally move the key too far and I hear the starter cranking. Oh chit, turn it off, turn it off (all the while remembering Jordan telling me NOT to start it with the 3.8 PCM installed)! At least I know the starter works right? Next, swap out the PCM for the AEV PCM without disconnecting the battery. Program VIN. Two honks. Success! Program TPMS to off...two honks. Program tire size...two honks. All right. Now we're getting somewhere.

At this point, I feel like an 8th grader that's successfully gotten to second base with his date. Move on to see if the dash cluster reads correctly (I'm moving to third base). Nope, still in R. Dangit back to the drawing board!

The funny thing is that if I unplug the AEV diagnostic port, the shift interlock doesn't prevent me from shifting out of P. If it's plugged in, I can't move the shifter from park. If I unplug the 34 way connector above it (called C100), the radiator fan kicks on. I'm at a loss now. I went over every single connection again tonight...TWICE. I'm starting to think it's the PCM or something with the JK electronics got screwed up when I did RESTORE with the Procal. The transmission is definitely in Park. I've counted the detents and even had the valve body out again. The good thing is that AEV is responsive to my calls/emails and I have the ear of the top guys there. I sent them a lengthy email this evening detailing all my checks and symptoms. I'm sure I'll speak with them again in the morning. I've got to get something going soon. My wife goes in for surgery on Friday.

Since the engine cranked with the PCM from the 3.8 I'm thinking there's an issue with the AEV PCM. I know that it's a long shot that the PCM is bad but I've done all I can think of at this point. It's really the only viable alternative to try.

I shot a few photos of the transmission to illustrate the solenoid pack that I referred to a few posts back.

Here's what the trans looks like with the flat pickup filter removed. You'll need a T25 bit to remove the flat filter and work on most internal parts in the 545rfe. Here, you're looking at the valve body.
5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 114

After you remove the valve body, you'll see this on top. This is the solenoid pack.
5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 107

When you replace the solenoid pack, MAKE DARN SURE this arm fits in the saddle on the solenoid pack. This arm moves to tell the solenoid/PCM your gear selection. You need to physically push the arm on the outside of the transmission to P if you have the solenoid pack in the P position for reinstallation.
5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 109

Trans filter and spin on filter for tranny cooler lines. FYI, the napa filter pack didn't have the spin on filter with it. Autozone's filter kit had both but no gasket. Mopar says no gasket and use RTV but I'm a rebel so I used the gasket anyway.
5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 112

Maybe it doesn't run b/c I put the stickers on first?! Wink
5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 120

She's dying to get out of here
5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 124

Another night without the JK breathing fire.
5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 126

I'll keep ya'll updated as I know more.
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 1:18 am

if you don't get it figured out soon ya might call tony at hotwireauto.com

he has probably forgot more about hemi swaps than aev ever knew!!
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 03 Nov 2009, 8:42 am

Good copy...thanks.
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 5:51 pm

IT RUNS!!!!!!! The new PCM from AEV solved my problem. I am the only one to ever have a bad PCM from them. Go figure!

I have a leak around the oil filter adapter so I've got another one on order. I don't want to take a chance with it.
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 5:56 pm

thebigtman wrote:
IT RUNS!!!!!!! The new PCM from AEV solved my problem. I am the only one to ever have a bad PCM from them. Go figure!

I have a leak around the oil filter adapter so I've got another one on order. I don't want to take a chance with it.

and your in here typing.............wtf!!!!!

we demand burnout videos!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 5:59 pm

LOL! I know I know...but it's not for the lack of wanting.

Believe me, I want to do that video but I found a crack in the oil filter adapter so I'm swapping it out. I didn't spot it earlier until it pressurized under startup and caused a leak by the oil filter.
Back to top Go down
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet

Number of posts : 758
Rig : '08 Rubicon
specs. : 3.25 RC Lift - OR-Fab Stinger
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 6:00 pm

That is sweet! Congrats man!
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 6:06 pm

thebigtman wrote:

Believe me, I want to do that video but I found a crack in the oil filter adapter so I'm swapping it out. I didn't spot it earlier until it pressurized under startup and caused a leak by the oil filter.

THAT ONLY TAKES 4 MINUTES TO FIX.........

http://www.jbweld.net/products/jbkwik.php

5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Kitty

I will be here patiently awaiting said video..............
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 6:22 pm

redneckhouston wrote:

I will be here patiently awaiting said video..............

x2 on that 5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 6:44 pm

X3 on the video. What ya waiting for Timmay!!!
Back to top Go down
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 815
Rig : R.I.P.
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 6:51 pm

thebigtman wrote:

Heck, won't that leaking oil on the ground just make the burn out easier 5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
JK-fredd0
Got No Life
Got No Life
JK-fredd0

Number of posts : 812
Rig : 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 06 Nov 2009, 3:10 am

dude, i have hemis and jeeps everywhere... if you need a part, just let me know! (just kidding!)
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 08 Nov 2009, 3:23 am

I finally got the last few parts I was waiting on. I didn't get started with anything until late this afternoon. All is well with the wife. Thanks for all the well wishes.

Last, and certainly not least, I promised video. Here it is! Hopefully I'll get some more video up once it's daylight and I get a chance to smoke the tires a little. No burnout shots for now.

I've got about 5 miles on her so far. No leaks, no codes, all is good. Oh, I made sure that I wore my sandals for extra safety too!

YouTube - 2008 Hemi JK Unlimited
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 08 Nov 2009, 10:37 am

That is awesome. Sounds great
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 08 Nov 2009, 11:44 am

5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_cheers 5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_cheers 5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_cheers 5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_cheers 5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_cheers 5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_cheers 5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_cheers

Its Alive..... ITS ALIVE!!!

You, my friend, are living the high life!
5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Highlifee

Enjoy it bruddah!!
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 08 Nov 2009, 4:17 pm

Ha Ha Ha I got to ride in it!!!!! 5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 508968

yay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5.7 Hemi swap   5.7 Hemi swap - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5.7 Hemi swap
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next