MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Help needed.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheBigOnion
Poster child
Poster child
TheBigOnion

Number of posts : 216
Rig : 2000 JEEP TJ
specs. : Red
Registration date : 2009-10-03

Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Help needed.   Help needed. Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 5:46 pm

Howdy,
I need a little help from any mechanically inclined people. Awhile back my jeep would not turn over so I went out and bought a new battery. It rad good for about a week, then after work one day it would not start. So I had a friend jump it and figured I must have left the lights on or something. Then on Thursday after work it started but sounded like it was about to die, then died after running for about 7 seconds. Then it was dead. Even a jump would not start it. After trying to jump it the Jeep made one (1) click when I tried to start it, but after that there was no clicks or anything when I tried to start it. It would just turn on the lights and radio when I turned the key, but NO motor sound. I took the battery out and took it to be tested. (8:00 pm!) They said the battery was perfect. So I had the Jeep towed home. Help needed. Icon_cry This morning I disconnected the battery then checked the connections on the starter. Reconnected the battery then when I tried to start it, I got ONE click. After that there was no click when I turned the key. So I removed the starter and took it to O'Reillys to have the starter tested. They said it worked fine. So I bought a starter relay switch and put it in. When I went to try to start it....Nothing! I thought it could be the ignition, but I have heard a single click when I disconnect and reconnect the battery which I think tells me that electricity is reaching the starter.

I am at a total loss as to what to look at now, and I need my jeep to drive to work on Monday. Anyone have any ideas?

Michael
Back to top Go down
http://www.thebigonion.com
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed.   Help needed. Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 6:23 pm

did they load test the batt?

sounds like a bad alternator, and the jeep is running on batt power alone.

can you check the voltage on the battery?
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing
Registration date : 2009-09-04

Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed.   Help needed. Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 6:35 pm

Sounds like you have pretty much covered everything but the "neutral swith" I don't remember if you have an auto or manual trans.. If it is an auto there is a switch that will not let it crank unless it is in park or neutral. This switch should be located in the shifter. If manual, the switch is on the clutch pedal and it requires the clutch to be fully depressed before cranking. Whichever you have are simple switches. there should be 2 wires and the switch is normally open (breaking the circuit). So if you jump the wires together and make a connection it will bypass the switch. Thes switches are a safety device so be careful! I know you have a new driver make sure he is aware of what is going on. With the switch bypassed the Jeep WILL start in gear.

Another thing to check is the ground. Put your jumper cables from the negative post to the engine block, if it starts you have a lousy connection or a bad ground cable.

Hope this helps If there is something I can help you with i will...Randy
Back to top Go down
TheBigOnion
Poster child
Poster child
TheBigOnion

Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed.   Help needed. Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 6:49 pm

Thanks Randy, I will let you know after I check that switch.
Back to top Go down
TheBigOnion
Poster child
Poster child
TheBigOnion

Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed.   Help needed. Icon_minitimeSun 06 Dec 2009, 1:01 pm

I bypassed the clutch switch, but I still have the same problem. Turn key. One click...nothing else. Sad

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed.   Help needed. Icon_minitimeSun 06 Dec 2009, 2:18 pm

Bypass ignition switch (run a wire from the positive battery terminal to the terminal that the ignition switch wire connects to on the starter relay. If it cranks the problem is from the relay back to the ignition switch.If it doesn't crank, use your jumper cables and bypass the starter relay (positive battery post to starter side of relay) do it with the key turned off and it wont start but should crank. If it cranks you can actually start it like that.

I am not vouching for the safety of these bypasses. I have used them before it it has worked. You still have a problem somewhere though. all that crap is controlled by the computer and that could be your problem.
Back to top Go down
TheBigOnion
Poster child
Poster child
TheBigOnion

Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed.   Help needed. Icon_minitimeSun 06 Dec 2009, 3:22 pm

Sorry, but I'm afraid you lost me there. I am not sure where the ignition switch wire connects to the starter relay. And I'm not sure where the starter side of the relay is.
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed.   Help needed. Icon_minitimeSun 06 Dec 2009, 3:51 pm

Then you probably shouldn't try it. It is just a way to run your starter directly from the battery without using any of the other system.

You have to run a wire directly from the battery to the components and if you connect to the wrong place you could cause damage.
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed.   Help needed. Icon_minitimeSun 06 Dec 2009, 5:00 pm

Still sounds like a ground issue did you try the cable thing?
Back to top Go down
TheBigOnion
Poster child
Poster child
TheBigOnion

Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed.   Help needed. Icon_minitimeSun 06 Dec 2009, 6:07 pm

RANDY!!!! That worked. I grounded it to the motor like you said and it started. But it would only stay on if I kept my foot on the gas. What could it be?
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed.   Help needed. Icon_minitimeSun 06 Dec 2009, 6:52 pm

Cable ends or the cable itself. Its a good idea to replace the battery terminal... for a few more bucks replace the whole cable. wire brush all of the connections. The computer has been hunting for a ground that would explain the problem of not idling. after it runs for awhile the computer will "relearn" and it should be back to normal. Now that it is running check the alt like George suggested.
Back to top Go down
TheBigOnion
Poster child
Poster child
TheBigOnion

Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed.   Help needed. Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 12:07 am

Thanks Randy, you've been a big help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help needed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed.   Help needed. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help needed.
Page 1 of 1