MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

Number of posts : 758
Rig : 07 2 door X Flamer 6 spd
Registration date : 2008-09-07

JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ Empty
PostSubject: JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ   JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ Icon_minitimeMon 08 Feb 2010, 1:20 pm

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=85588&page=7 post #68. What do you guys think of this fix? This guy is sending me all the parts to do this, he has already fabricated all necessary hardware. I PMd and asked if he'd be willing to sell me a "kit", and he responded he just so happened to have an extra set lying around and put it in the mail to me today. I checked with Northstar Dodge and they are more than happy to take a look at the possible fix and install it while it's in sick bay.

Check it out when you get a minute, and let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ   JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ Icon_minitimeMon 08 Feb 2010, 3:38 pm

For us band people here (which means most of us on here) that can't open the link, copy and past what you want to know over here.

Back to top Go down
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

PostSubject: Re: JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ   JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ Icon_minitimeMon 08 Feb 2010, 4:07 pm

Thanks! Did not realize the "banned" JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ 69144 ones would be unable to open link. Let me see what I can figure out to get that info as you suggested.

Thanks for not "burning me a new one" JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ 160497 for using links from that other forum, it's the only way I knew how to get it out there.

http://picasaweb.google.com/riknapora/Jeep Maybe this will work?..................... JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ 146371
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ   JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ Icon_minitimeMon 08 Feb 2010, 5:39 pm

Someone who goes by "riknapora" from San Diego posted the following:

Quote :
Hey foks! I too broke down when my JK was barely broken in...in Alpine, at the top of the hill by the Ranger Station outlook. I had to ease it all the way down the hill in 4 because I had no clue what happened, and I wanted to get it in the parking lot to crawl under. So much for "free towing"...they only tow within 10 miles of a stealership. I got it in gear, drove home, and had to let my JK have a "sleepover" at the dealership where they replaced the entire cable (instead of the 30 cent bushing...no wonder Chrysler is broke). I was trying to sort through ways to keep the same thing from happening again, because of course Chrysler has yet to build a better cable/bushing/something, so I read through a lot of forums and spent lots of time online in general. I even contemplated taking off the t-case bracket to drill it, but when I crawled under my JK to remove the lever I realized that not only did Chrysler in their infinite wisdom decide to use a "torx-plus" bolt on the lever they also located it so close to the front yoke that the only way to remove said lever is to remove not only the front driveshaft but also the yoke...and didn't feel like tearing anything apart or disturbing a front seal that doesn't leak (yet). Instead, I bought a lever from the dealership and studied it. I finally came up with a cheap, easy, and effective fix that just about anyone should be able to do with some basic hand tools and some patience. I attached the pictures for your review...

http://picasaweb.google.com/riknapora/Jeep
Back to top Go down
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

PostSubject: Re: JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ   JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ Icon_minitimeMon 08 Feb 2010, 7:10 pm

Hey Eric, that's who I was making reference to. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Dern
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Dern

Number of posts : 404
Rig : 07 Rubicon Unlimited
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ   JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ Icon_minitimeWed 10 Feb 2010, 10:47 pm

So is this a common problem with all jk's, auto & standard?
Back to top Go down
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

PostSubject: Re: JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ   JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ Icon_minitimeWed 10 Feb 2010, 11:08 pm

Dern wrote:
So is this a common problem with all jk's, auto & standard?

Quite common, it's even been happening on test drives when the salesmen demonstrate the wonderful ability you will have with the 4wd, and then it FAILS on the lots. According to other forums, it is quite common and becoming more and more common. Others are keeping what are called extra "e-clips" in the glove box for future failures. The e-clip is the .33 I make reference to. It's all in the transfer case, so I would think it would include both sticks and autos. You know more about that kinda stuff than I do.
Back to top Go down
Dern
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Dern

Number of posts : 404
Rig : 07 Rubicon Unlimited
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ   JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ Icon_minitimeThu 11 Feb 2010, 9:06 am

It looks like a snap ring might be better than a E clip. A E clip is easier to install but a snap ring will go around the whole shaft.
Back to top Go down
MudHound
Got No Life
Got No Life
MudHound

Number of posts : 1323
Rig : 97 TJ
specs. : Part TJ, Part JK, Part CJ, Part K30.....The hell?
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ   JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ Icon_minitimeThu 11 Feb 2010, 1:53 pm

the reason it was oringaly made that way was so u wouldn't break the shaft if you pulled on the handle too hard
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ   JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ Icon_minitimeThu 11 Feb 2010, 3:42 pm

this is really only an issue when shifting out of 4Lo. you have to have at least a little "roll forward" in order to shift out of 4Lo easily.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ   JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JK transfer case linkage fix OPINIONS PLZ
Page 1 of 1