MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TJ Gear Question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

Number of posts : 292
Rig : '08 Black JKU Rubi
specs. : Loaded with two carseats!!!
Registration date : 2009-11-01

TJ Gear Question Empty
PostSubject: TJ Gear Question   TJ Gear Question Icon_minitimeSat 21 Aug 2010, 10:38 pm

My dad is thinking about regearing his '03 TJ Rubi - auto with the 4.0 Straight 6. He has about a 6" lift and 35s. I know most folks that regear a JK go with 5.13 and those that went with 4.88 wish they would have gone with 5.13. My dad is thinking about 4.56 or 4.88. Anyone have any advice about which gears to run with the 4.0 and TJ drivetrain? The gear selection needs to consider that it's his DD and he sometimes may pull a small utility trailer.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DangerMouse
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
DangerMouse

Number of posts : 666
Rig : 2005 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition
specs. : Pro Comp lift, soft 8 wheels, 33x13.5x15 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Registration date : 2009-08-03

TJ Gear Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ Gear Question   TJ Gear Question Icon_minitimeSat 21 Aug 2010, 10:47 pm

I plan on going 4.88s when the time comes and run 35s.
Back to top Go down
RubiconAg
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
RubiconAg

Number of posts : 40
Rig : 2004 TJ Rubicon
Registration date : 2009-10-06

TJ Gear Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ Gear Question   TJ Gear Question Icon_minitimeSun 22 Aug 2010, 12:59 am

I have 4.88s and run 35s in my 2004 Rubicon 4.0 Auto. I've never pulled a trailer, but don't think I'd have any trouble pulling a small utility trailer like a 4x6 or even a small boat.

FYI, my speedo shows 10% slower than I'm actually going.
Back to top Go down
liftd & lowrd
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
liftd & lowrd

Number of posts : 45
Rig : 2002 Wrangler APEX
Registration date : 2010-05-31

TJ Gear Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ Gear Question   TJ Gear Question Icon_minitimeSun 22 Aug 2010, 11:06 am

Does he wheel it? We're probably splitting hairs here but he might get slightly better fuel economy with the 4.56. The 4.88's would definitely be better for off roading/crawling. I don't think he'd have any power issues with the 4.56 or the 4.88 and pulling a small trailer.

I've got a manual '02 TJ with the 4.0 and I've got 4.56 front and rear w/ 35" tires and wish I had taller gears for 4lo crawling.

If I had to vote, I'd say get the 4.88.
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

TJ Gear Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ Gear Question   TJ Gear Question Icon_minitimeSun 22 Aug 2010, 11:07 am

Thanks for the replies. He's also looking at adding chromoly shafts and locking hubs, any advice/recommendations on those? (He's been talking about it with his local shop in LA too.)

Also, on Rubicons, is the front axle a true Dana 44? I think I've heard that the differential is a 44 but the axle is a 30? Not sure if that is TJ specific or if it's like that on the JK as well??

Thanks! bounce
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

TJ Gear Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ Gear Question   TJ Gear Question Icon_minitimeSun 22 Aug 2010, 2:14 pm

liftd & lowrd wrote:
Does he wheel it? We're probably splitting hairs here but he might get slightly better fuel economy with the 4.56. The 4.88's would definitely be better for off roading/crawling. I don't think he'd have any power issues with the 4.56 or the 4.88 and pulling a small trailer.

I've got a manual '02 TJ with the 4.0 and I've got 4.56 front and rear w/ 35" tires and wish I had taller gears for 4lo crawling.

If I had to vote, I'd say get the 4.88.
It looks like you posted while I was typing my previous response. Yes he wheels it, not all the time though - a couple times a year. He's driven it up to a few of the Camp Jeep events. One day we will make a trip to CO. I think 4.88s sound like the good choice, that will give him room if he wants to move up to 37s too.

Thanks again folks.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

TJ Gear Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ Gear Question   TJ Gear Question Icon_minitimeWed 08 Sep 2010, 5:09 pm

Gear for the road. The 4:1 low range in the Rubi case will handle the crawling stuff for him (gear your axles for the road and your transfer case for the rocks).

He can take it up to 5.13 with the 44's, and with the 42RLE he may well want to. It's got a DEEP overdrive, and it's a common complaint that 42RLE drivers with the 4.0 have to use the OD OFF switch to make a 3-speed most of the time. The 5.13 should help that as well as giving you the advantage of lower initial gears.

You're probably best off asking on Jeep Forum in the TJ section, as there are tons of people who have experience with all different ratios and can offer their input accordingly. With my 6-speed manual the "correct" ratio (put it back to factory) with 35's is 4.56, but for the 5-speed manual it'd be 4.88. It all just depends...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TJ Gear Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TJ Gear Question   TJ Gear Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TJ Gear Question
Page 1 of 1