MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Skipwingo07
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Skipwingo07

Number of posts : 27
Rig : 1997 Jeep TJ
specs. : 3.5 inch lift, 33" tires, 4.56 rear ends Eaton E lockers
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering. Empty
PostSubject: Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering.   Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering. Icon_minitimeSat 18 Sep 2010, 1:54 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge on the Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover Steering? I have read a few reviews from XJ owners that have griped about "Death Wobble" but found nothing like this from Wrangler owners. I have also read about "dead spots" again from XJ owners but nothing from Wranglers.

If anyone, with a TJ specifically, has any first hand knowledge about this product can you let me know your opinions. Also, keep in mind my TJ id a daily driver, so if there are quirks or issues with this product that would take away from the drive ability of my TJ I would like to know.

Thank you in advance for any information provided.

Skip
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering.   Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering. Icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 11:41 am

Honestly you're probably better off hitting up a more technical forum or consulting more knowledgeable gurus. I can tell you that I won't personally run to that steering as long as I've got TJ axles under my rig. If I ever make the swap to tons, everything will be revisited, but the TJ is not set up for OTK/crossover steering, there's no need for it, and it can (and often enough does) cause more problems and poorer road manners than it's perceived to solve.

You didn't mention what you're trying to accomplish. It may be better to say, "I'm running into XYZ limitation, I've been looking at ABC solution, but does anyone have any info on it or an alternative?"

If you're just looking to spend money, there are far better places to spend it Smile
Back to top Go down
Skipwingo07
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Skipwingo07

PostSubject: Re: Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering.   Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering. Icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 12:13 pm

I have Eaton E lockers front and rear. My drag link is already bent. When I engage my front lockers, it takes an act of congress to turn my vehicle. What I want to prevent is bending a Tie Rod or drag link while in the process of turning my vehicle or do you think this would even be an issue, if I decide to replace my tie rod and drag link?

I'm basically trying to beef up as much as I possibly can and fix anyting that is bent or broken and in doing so I want to use better parts or a better system.
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering.   Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering. Icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 12:21 pm

Anything made by Rugged Ridge wil be cheap, with the added benefit of being pure crap.

You want this:
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1219

Or something from ORO
https://secure48.mysecureorder.net/offroadonly/catalog/index.php?cPath=37&osCsid=67pb8i83tgir61482adomufr56

Or install hydro-assist
Back to top Go down
Skipwingo07
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Skipwingo07

PostSubject: Re: Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering.   Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering. Icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 12:28 pm

Thank you very much I will look into these. I honestly havn't read too much or heard too much about RR stuff, so I do appreciate your opinion.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering.   Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering. Icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 2:20 pm

Yeah, I strongly second the Currie suggestion. I've got a perfectly good stock drag link and tie rod in my garage because it was upgraded to the Currie already. Additionally, Savvy makes a replacement tie rod that mates to it upside down for high steer on the driver's side (makes everything look flatter, too) and bends back to shape if you hit it. Something to think about if you ever want to do it in the future.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering.   Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover steering.
Page 1 of 1