MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Finally....door rack and top hoist done

Go down 
+9
outcast
Maverick1701
Renee10
jkx0778
Ingramsatx
Tvernon
Hook-Em
r_unda
rlogan
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rlogan
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
rlogan

Number of posts : 138
Rig : '10 JK Unlimited
specs. : Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel
Registration date : 2010-10-13

Finally....door rack and top hoist done Empty
PostSubject: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeSun 08 May 2011, 8:02 pm

Well, after several iterations...I finally have something I am happy with. I probably should have just bought a hoist...but I think I only have $100 in this one and $50 of that was the hoist with a brake built in.

Finally....door rack and top hoist done Jktop10

Also, welded up some door hangars for the wall as well.

Finally....door rack and top hoist done Jkdoor10

Topless and doorless is the only way to go. I did pick up some tube doors for the rear. Figure its best for the kids back there. I'll get those on this evening hopefully.

Finally....door rack and top hoist done Jk10

Last edited by rlogan on Mon 09 May 2011, 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

Number of posts : 794
Rig : 1998 Jeep Wrangler
specs. : 2.5L-4 Cyl., 33x10.5 BFG's Mud tires, 2.5 in. lift springs, 1.25 in. BL, 1 in. MML, 4.88 Gears, Front Powertrax No-Slip, Rear E-Locker, Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Tera Low & 2Low, UCF Tummy Tuck, etc
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeSun 08 May 2011, 8:53 pm

Looks Good! need to do something like that for my doors.
Back to top Go down
rlogan
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
rlogan

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeMon 09 May 2011, 11:05 am

The door rack was a pretty quick job...took longer to paint them than to to measure cut and weld them.

I'll have to drop the hoist and get some better pics...it worked out great...but took a couple of tries to get right. The straps are just there as a back up measure...I'd hate to kill one of my kids over something stupid like that.
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

Number of posts : 1223
Rig : 2009 Sunburst Orange JK Sahara Unlimited
specs. : 4'' Rancho Sport Lift; 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on 17x8.5 Alloys; Ace Rock Sliders; Poison Spyder Brawler Light Front Bumper; AEM Brute Force CAI
Registration date : 2010-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeMon 09 May 2011, 2:00 pm

I like the door rack idea and have been thinking about how to accomplish that in my garage. Nice job!
Back to top Go down
rlogan
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
rlogan

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeMon 09 May 2011, 2:40 pm

I need to make another metal run...I think I only have one stick of 1" square tubing left. I could make some more pretty quick with assistance and beer.

Next project is a welding cart...not sure why I haven't done that sooner. That thing is a back killer...
Back to top Go down
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

Number of posts : 300
Rig : 2007 JK
specs. : ------->
Registration date : 2010-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeTue 10 May 2011, 11:19 am

What did you fasten your door hangers to? I imagine the studs, but what hard ware did you use? I was always afraid the doors were heavy enough to tear a screw right out, maybe not?
Back to top Go down
rlogan
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
rlogan

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeTue 10 May 2011, 11:59 am

Yeah, it's a little sacry hanging them up there the first time. I used lag bolts...3/8" x 4" (I believe) into the studs. I did put the heavier(front doors) on the rack first to keep them close to the wall. They definitely aren't going anywhere. I could hang from them and I weigh a wee bit mroe than the doors. I am more worried about scratching them while getting them up there...the clearance around my garage door rails is tighter than I like.

Have you seen the cheapo home depot hangers people are using...now those scare me!
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

specs. : 4'' Rancho Sport Lift; 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on 17x8.5 Alloys; Ace Rock Sliders; Poison Spyder Brawler Light Front Bumper; AEM Brute Force CAI

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeTue 10 May 2011, 12:26 pm

rlogan wrote:
Have you seen the cheapo home depot hangers people are using...now those scare me!

Funny you should mention that. Since I don't weld, I was thinking of exploring an off the shelf system to make modular Jeep stuff storage system to store my doors, freedom panels, bikini top, soft top, etc. All I need is time and money. Dang, those two things are always getting in my way. Mad
Back to top Go down
rlogan
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
rlogan

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeTue 10 May 2011, 1:29 pm

Another option is using the coated bicycle type hooks and hang them from the ceiling....but you are limited in placement by the spacing of your rafters.
Back to top Go down
rlogan
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
rlogan

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeWed 11 May 2011, 2:57 pm

Saw these on craigslist this morning

$25
http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/2371759724.html
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeWed 11 May 2011, 4:38 pm

You've inspired me. I went to Home Depot on an NRSM (Non-Routine Scouting Mission) to look at the track-based storage solutions. Between automotive stuff (mostly JEEP), sports gear, tools, and some camping gear, I have a bunch of clutter along the side walls of my garage that could be stored much more effectively.

Thanks for your inspiration!
Back to top Go down
rlogan
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
rlogan

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeWed 11 May 2011, 5:25 pm

Yeah, that's a never ending project for me. I really need a shed soon to get all the non automotive crap out of the garage (a long time dream) I had just built a 10x12 with loft at the last house and then we moved....I wish I could have loaded it up and brought it along.
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeWed 11 May 2011, 5:44 pm

Sheeeeeeeeeooooooot! I have a 12x16 shed and a 3-car garage and that's not enough. Of course, my 68 Mustang Coupe project car sits in that 3rd car area awaiting time and money. There's that time and money thing again, always raring it's ugly head. Mad
Back to top Go down
Ingramsatx
Poster child
Poster child
Ingramsatx

Number of posts : 251
Rig : 2006 TJ
specs. : More money than I care to admit.
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jun 2011, 5:25 pm

Nothing fancy. $8.10 at Home Depot. Five minutes to install. Hangers will support two doors if wall space is at a premium.

https://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb392/Ray_Ingram/Big%20Bend%20Trip/Jeep%20Door%20Hangers/
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jun 2011, 5:37 pm

you can also use those heavy duty shelfing L-brackets. I have 2 heavy ladders handing from just 2 of them. They are 12"x12" or 18"x18" brackets, been a while since i put them up scratch . I also anchored them into the studs with 4" wood screws. Just get some pipe insulation and wrap the top part in it.
Back to top Go down
Renee10
Pathetic
Pathetic
Renee10

Number of posts : 2515
Rig : 2007 Stone White 2-Door
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeThu 02 Jun 2011, 9:24 pm

Very very nice

Stacy you need something like this too with all the parts you have acquired!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jeep-nation.com
Maverick1701
Jack Twist
Maverick1701

Number of posts : 910
Rig : 1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 6x6
specs. : ITS BIG!!!!!
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2011, 10:38 pm

thats a nice looking setup sir!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.org
outcast
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
outcast

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2010-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeSat 03 Sep 2011, 1:53 pm

r_unda wrote:
Looks Good! need to do something like that for my doors.

Don't hang the TJ doors like that, Raul. Not welded like the JKs and won't last long after being hung, from what I've heard....
Back to top Go down
texas-kid
Poster child
Poster child
texas-kid

Number of posts : 321
Rig : 07 jk 2 dr red rock
specs. : A couple of scratches, dents and a few broken parts now and then!!!
Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeSat 03 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

Hell I just have mine sitting on the floor of the garage. Well I think thats where they are, haven't had them on the heep in a long while!!! lol
Back to top Go down
SCTnSAT
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
SCTnSAT

Number of posts : 16
Rig : 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Registration date : 2011-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 5:15 pm

Very nice job!! I have the door jackets from Bestop but always wanted an easy way just to hang the doors and you have shown the way. Just need time.
I have the Harken Hoist from Quadratec and it is a Godsend! Very smiliar to your and reasonably cheap at about $135.

Post a pic of your tube doors please. I have never taken the rear doors off because of the kids, but if I could find something pretty safe (like your tube doors)...I think the boss (wife) would be more agreeable.

Great looking ride! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ClipperWealth.com
SCTnSAT
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
SCTnSAT

Number of posts : 16
Rig : 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Registration date : 2011-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 5:19 pm

ps...
like yours i have no side mirrors when i take the front doors off.
Is that legal in TX?

Never been pulled over, but with my luck it WILL happen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ClipperWealth.com
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 11:24 pm

I don't know for sure, but I've heard that vehicles in Texas have to have the same number of mirrors as originally equipped from the manufacturer. Someone on this forum either knows, our knows someone who knows. That's your cue, Robert.
Back to top Go down
texas-kid
Poster child
Poster child
texas-kid

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeMon 05 Sep 2011, 11:46 pm

You only need one mirror in the state of texas. The rearview mirror is all you need!
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeTue 06 Sep 2011, 12:14 pm

Because I have heard so many differing answers, I decided to look it up. Here is a link to what I found.

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=37&pt=1&ch=21&rl=1

Do a text search for "Driver rear visibility requirement" and you'll find the following statement.

"(D) Driver rear visibility requirement--To meet this requirement a motor vehicle must be equipped with outside mirrors on both the left and right sides of the vehicle that are located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle."

I'm no attorney or law enforcement officer, but to me, that sounds an awful lot like two mirrors are required.
Back to top Go down
texas-kid
Poster child
Poster child
texas-kid

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitimeTue 06 Sep 2011, 8:55 pm

Hook-Em wrote:
Because I have heard so many differing answers, I decided to look it up. Here is a link to what I found.

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=37&pt=1&ch=21&rl=1

Do a text search for "Driver rear visibility requirement" and you'll find the following statement.

"(D) Driver rear visibility requirement--To meet this requirement a motor vehicle must be equipped with outside mirrors on both the left and right sides of the vehicle that are located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle."

I'm no attorney or law enforcement officer, but to me, that sounds an awful lot like two mirrors are required.

Hmmm...Sounds like mirrors are required. When I got my heep inspected last year (2010) I didn't have the doors on and I asked the inspector if I needed side mirrors. He said no and showed me on his computer. Not sure what site he was on but it said the only one mirror needed either drivers side or rearview with a distance of 200 ft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally....door rack and top hoist done   Finally....door rack and top hoist done Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally....door rack and top hoist done
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next