MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

JK Long Arms

Go down 
+6
lonestar rubi
jkx0778
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Dutchboy101
Chris
Tvernon
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

Number of posts : 300
Rig : 2007 JK
specs. : ------->
Registration date : 2010-03-22

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2011, 9:08 pm

Can anyone explain to me what the benefit of long arms on a JK would be? I am not looking to invest in them myself any time soon but I got into a debate with a fellow jeeper and He said that long arms were extremely benificial and I just don't see it. scratch From what I have read it says they improve anti squat and anti dive geometry which makes sense, I understand how they would increase stability, however, I don't understand how they could improve off road flex. Wouldn't that still be a function of your shock length? If you're running a coil over set up I see how it improves flex but otherwise I don't. My buddy said however that they do.

So chime in. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Tyler
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2011, 9:26 pm

Long arm kit will give you tons of more flex.
Back to top Go down
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2011, 10:37 pm

but how? If you don't have much longer shocks wouldn't your flex still be limited by your shock length? I know my current set up is on stock control arms and I am no where near full flex because of my shocks. Please elaborate.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeMon 05 Dec 2011, 11:37 pm

They start making a big difference with much larger tires, as in 40"+ and coilovers. The pivot point on the frame will be further away than with the stock CA's. This allows for a more stable drive on highway and much more flex.
Once you go long arms there is more at play once you cross this line. Most rigs would require straps to limit the flex.
I might be full of SHIT, so I hope more experienced guy's might want to chime in.
Back to top Go down
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2011, 1:21 am

I doubt you're full of shit man but I think you're right. Long arms are only worth it if you run a coil over system. Other wise, they seem to be just as limited as short arm, or a mid arm kit when it comes to flex. Seems like disconnects in the front and an anti-rock in the rear would be just as capable in the right hands as long arms.
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2011, 9:24 am

Without starting a huge debate and rehashing what Sascha said, 99% of JK owners will never see the benefit of a long arm system.

With TJ's, it was a definite benefit for the average wheeler. The JK's geometry is different and the arms on the JK are already much longer than a TJ.

I had this discussion at length with Rock Krawler. I have a mid arm system on mine if that tells you anything.

Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2011, 9:26 am

Oh, I forgot to answer your question, no I haven't sold it yet. I just put it on Autotrader so we'll see if that generates some serious interest. It's also a hard time of the year to sell a specialty vehicle.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2011, 11:11 am

Just to add, shocks make a HUGE differenct. I went with much longer shocks in the front and they let my axle drop far enough for the springs to FALL OUT!! See my avitar pic. My front droops so much that my extended brakelines are too SHORT affraid and these are for a 4"-6" lift & I'm only running 3" Full Traction HD springs.
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2011, 11:33 am

jkx0778 wrote:
Just to add, shocks make a HUGE differenct. I went with much longer shocks in the front and they let my axle drop far enough for the springs to FALL OUT!! See my avitar pic. My front droops so much that my extended brakelines are too SHORT affraid and these are for a 4"-6" lift & I'm only running 3" Full Traction HD springs.

I did same thing on mine with the shocks. I run the FT 3" on my jeep and it has all the flex I need. The only reason it does not run out is because of the rubicon sway bar. The SB holds everything up and keeps from ripping the brake lines out. The only problem I have is the SB links rolling over and wrapping around the tie rod if come down to fast. I've done that twice already.

Tim is right I would run the mid arms at the most. I think Monica did the same on hers.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeTue 06 Dec 2011, 11:53 am

Agree with what Tim said about JK's not needing the LA/CA's as much as the TJ's or older. The best thing to do is to buy the best possible suspension you can afford for your JK. Don't go cheap on a budget boost or a lift kit with no adjustable control arms, unless you are building a mall crawler. Do it right the first time, it sux having to change your suspension out because you went cheap the first time.

Oh, and Coilovers give you great flex, but so does the regular set up.
My suspension flex's pretty good. My ABS wires are the ones that hold my springs in place. <--- need to fix that sometime soon.
Back to top Go down
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeWed 07 Dec 2011, 12:58 am

So it seems that the general consensus is that long arms are a waste of money for the JK.

I have a three inch full traction lift as well and although mine is the economy (fuck you Dutchboy Smile mine is NOT a mall crawler) I get the flex out of the front that I want. But if we know this, why do all of these companies make long arm kits and sell them as if they are the end to all our problems? They seem to be overrated unless you spend an extra 7 or 8 grand for the front and rear coil overs?

Seems like an endless debate.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeWed 07 Dec 2011, 8:57 pm

Tim and Dutch nailed it.

When I went LA it wasn't because it would gain something over a SA kit, it was simply a complete suspension swap that had everything that I wanted.

And I could have gone coil overs and went with a long travel shock instead. It flexes like crazy... no complaints.
Back to top Go down
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeThu 08 Dec 2011, 12:19 am

So Mr. Gilbert, on your account it was completely worth the extra grand?

Coil overs most certainly would be, if I had 10g's to throw at a new suspension I completely would.
Back to top Go down
Renny
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Renny

Number of posts : 153
Rig : JK 2010 Unlimited Sport
specs. : Tow package, New-to-me bumper, 35&quot; BFG KM2's, Rigid industries fog lights, Ruggid Ridge transmission and oil pan skid plate
Registration date : 2011-04-25

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeThu 08 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeTue 13 Dec 2011, 4:22 pm

Tvernon wrote:
So Mr. Gilbert, on your account it was completely worth the extra grand?

Coil overs most certainly would be, if I had 10g's to throw at a new suspension I completely would.

IDK TV... I don't have anything else to compare it to. The entire kit had everything that I wanted, it was a one shot deal through Poly and they really hooked me up. By using them for everything (kit/shocks/shafts etc...) I saved about a grand overall. It was what pulled me away from the RK (which is one hell of a kit too) to the Poly. I have zero regrets. The RK was a 5.5 and the Poly is a 4" which is perfect for my 37s (or even 40s) and still has plenty of flex. I wanted to stay as low as I could yet easily clear bigger meats. Dave at Poly hooked me up big time.
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeFri 16 Dec 2011, 7:46 pm

Ghost of poster past....

Long arms will not necessarily increase you're flex (atleast not a crap ton like Chris said, but I'm talking Jk's not a TJ or XJ), that is limited primarily by your shock travel, especially on a JK if you do a normal lift vs the retarded 6 to 8 inch crap. People who get in that 4.5 to 5 inch lift range, may start to feel some binding and a more harsh ride as the suspension geometry is more effected, similar to what TJ guys experience. CA's on a TJ are rediculously short. Easier to explain this by drawing some diagrams on a bar napkin LOL.

Also, you can get just as much usable articulation out of a standard spring and shock combo as you can coilovers. Coilovers are nice because they are rebuildable and can be tuned (changing valving and experimenting with spiring rates) to your liking.
Back to top Go down
Dern
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Dern

Number of posts : 404
Rig : 07 Rubicon Unlimited
Registration date : 2009-04-01

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeSat 17 Dec 2011, 8:27 pm

terrahawk wrote:
Ghost of poster past....

Oh my god he still lives!
Back to top Go down
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeMon 19 Dec 2011, 12:53 am

When you say "usable articulation" I am sort of confused. I don't see how articulation could ever be unusable. I have seen guys run limiting straps but I always assumed that they were there to keep their springs from falling out at full articulation. Other than that, why would anyone want to limit their articulation?
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeMon 19 Dec 2011, 7:21 pm

You pretty much answered your own question. In my experience, limiting straps keep you from ripping break and ABD lines etc... off as well as keeping the springs seated.
Back to top Go down
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitimeThu 22 Dec 2011, 12:12 am

indeed. Alright so I feel like this issue has been put to bed for me. Long arms for the JK's are effectively unnecessary unless you have coil overs, are lifted more than 5 inches, or just want a complete suspension swap. Ill refer my buddy to this thread.

Thanks for all the input.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

JK Long Arms Empty
PostSubject: Re: JK Long Arms   JK Long Arms Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JK Long Arms
Page 1 of 1