MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Relocate lower shock brackets?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Relocate lower shock brackets? Empty
PostSubject: Relocate lower shock brackets?   Relocate lower shock brackets? Icon_minitimeWed 04 Feb 2009, 11:45 am

I'm hoping maybe Geo or somebody will chime in here =)

Any thoughts on re-locating the lower shock brackets (at least rear, but maybe front too) about 1-2" higher? I'm wondering if it would help alleviate the need for limiting straps in my setup - primarily, not allowing the shocks to go to full length at full droop. I can imagine it would probably need some extensions on the bumpstops to even it all out (keep from compressing the other shock too much).

Any thoughts? If it's a good idea - I'd like to do it, but have no welding skills or welder =)

!c
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Relocate lower shock brackets?   Relocate lower shock brackets? Icon_minitimeWed 04 Feb 2009, 12:05 pm

Last edited by terrahawk on Wed 04 Feb 2009, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

PostSubject: Re: Relocate lower shock brackets?   Relocate lower shock brackets? Icon_minitimeWed 04 Feb 2009, 12:25 pm

That's pretty tight - I can work a grinder and a drill *grin*. Can you think of any issues with doing that? I.e. am I going to create a bigger problem? I just hate the idea of restricting my travel w/ straps to less than I have -- it's not like I have a lot of it now, and am not thinking too highly of making it even more difficult to keep my wheels on the ground.

Of course, I'm not to keen to keep blowing shocks either =)

!c
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

PostSubject: Re: Relocate lower shock brackets?   Relocate lower shock brackets? Icon_minitimeWed 04 Feb 2009, 12:48 pm

Here's another one, but its twice the price.

Relocate lower shock brackets? EVO-ROCKSTAR-SKIDS_medium
Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Relocate lower shock brackets?   Relocate lower shock brackets? Icon_minitimeWed 04 Feb 2009, 1:23 pm

I've got the poly's also.. Hell you don't even need a drill, just a grinder with a cut off wheel and you are good....

I'm not sure what your set up is as far as lift and shocks, but these are adjustable by the mounting holes. They have 3 different setting you can put these on for you application.
Back to top Go down
JK-fredd0
Got No Life
Got No Life
JK-fredd0

Number of posts : 812
Rig : 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Relocate lower shock brackets?   Relocate lower shock brackets? Icon_minitimeWed 04 Feb 2009, 1:55 pm

terrahawk wrote:
Here's another one, but its twice the price.

Relocate lower shock brackets? EVO-ROCKSTAR-SKIDS_medium

i will be getting these next week to take to the install party (if i can wait that long Smile )... HOPEFULLY i will have my bumper and carrier by then too
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

PostSubject: Re: Relocate lower shock brackets?   Relocate lower shock brackets? Icon_minitimeWed 04 Feb 2009, 1:56 pm

TxCrawler - ayuh, just read those instructions, looks pretty easy.

I'm running the Skyjacker 2.5" springs w/ bumpstop spacers, and MX6 shocks for 2" lift (whoops! =)

Next week I'll have a real adjustable rear track bar on. The bracket from skyjacker is a pain - it actually hits the shock. Fortunately, for now, the MX6's are upside down like nitros, so it only rubs on boot.

I take it there's not much call for relocating the front brackets?

!c
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

PostSubject: Re: Relocate lower shock brackets?   Relocate lower shock brackets? Icon_minitimeWed 04 Feb 2009, 2:01 pm

Not really unless you have so much flex the shock body will hit the frame rails at full droop. George is the expert though, maybe he will chime in sometime today.
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

PostSubject: Re: Relocate lower shock brackets?   Relocate lower shock brackets? Icon_minitimeWed 04 Feb 2009, 2:17 pm

Yeah, if its worth it, I'll order them so I can have them for the install party. Although, I'm kinda saving the front shocks for that =) I'm hoping for an easier time than trying to compress them into place by myself using the stock scissor jack like last night. Let's just say, I got more than a little frustrated in the process =)

!c
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

PostSubject: Re: Relocate lower shock brackets?   Relocate lower shock brackets? Icon_minitimeWed 04 Feb 2009, 2:43 pm

jkdrone wrote:
Yeah, if its worth it, I'll order them so I can have them for the install party. Although, I'm kinda saving the front shocks for that =) I'm hoping for an easier time than trying to compress them into place by myself using the stock scissor jack like last night. Let's just say, I got more than a little frustrated in the process =)

!c

LOL, ask Steve about our adventure intalling my shocks. That was a blood drawing experience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Relocate lower shock brackets?   Relocate lower shock brackets? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Relocate lower shock brackets?
Page 1 of 1