MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Looking for a welder. Suggestions...?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hutch
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Hutch

Number of posts : 524
Rig : Black '07 Unlimited X
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Looking for a welder. Suggestions...? Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a welder. Suggestions...?   Looking for a welder. Suggestions...? Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 10:43 pm

Im looking to get a good inexpensive welder (I know good & inexpensive dont really go together but...) Any suggestions?
Also, what is going to be the most versatile type of saw for general metal working?
I'm thinking about trying my hand at making a few things for the Jeep as well as some small projects around the house.
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a welder. Suggestions...?   Looking for a welder. Suggestions...? Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 11:23 pm

depends what you are going to do with it , mark

most folks are best served by a small 220v mig, but getting into something like that for under a grand is tough

maybe a small flux core mig/fcaw 110 maching would work for you and is VERY easy to learn to use . there is a VERY nice fcaw miller suitcase on craigslist for 450 right now

buy a GOOD ( read; miller or hobart) auto darking helment

as far as a saw goes look into the cheap horzontal bandsaws at harbor frieght , they cut cleaner and more accuratly than a chop saw, and they are very, very quiet, you relationship with your neighbors will thank me

also, buy the best hand grinder you can get ahold of, dewalt has 4 models...........the good one cost 125 buxs, the others burn up in no time
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a welder. Suggestions...?   Looking for a welder. Suggestions...? Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 11:30 pm

X2

You can buy the remanufactured hobart 187 (220 volt) for about $570, that will weld up to 5/16", more than you will ever need for Jeep Projects.

http://www.toolking.com/hobartwelders_500525a.aspx
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a welder. Suggestions...?   Looking for a welder. Suggestions...? Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 11:41 pm

TxCrawler wrote:
X2

You can buy the remanufactured hobart 187 (220 volt) for about $570, that will weld up to 5/16", more than you will ever need for Jeep Projects.

http://www.toolking.com/hobartwelders_500525a.aspx

the reason i dident recomend such a unit is when you add in 150-200$ for a bottle , its really not "budget" , but would throw down some nice beads
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
Duke
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Duke

Number of posts : 477
Rig : JEEP
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a welder. Suggestions...?   Looking for a welder. Suggestions...? Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009, 11:50 pm

Hutch wrote:
Im looking to get a good inexpensive welder (I know good & inexpensive dont really go together but...) Any suggestions?

Since money is such a relative thing I would ask, what do you consider inexpensive? 100-150? 500?
Back to top Go down
Hutch
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Hutch

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a welder. Suggestions...?   Looking for a welder. Suggestions...? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 12:01 am

Definitely a mig. Needs to work in a standard socket. Whats that 120? Hoping to be under $400
Toolking has one a little cheaper than the one mentioned above. Would this work? http://www.toolking.com/hobartwelders_500500a.aspx
Back to top Go down
Hutch
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Hutch

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a welder. Suggestions...?   Looking for a welder. Suggestions...? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 12:04 am

redneckhouston wrote:

maybe a small flux core mig/fcaw 110 maching would work for you and is VERY easy to learn to use . there is a VERY nice fcaw miller suitcase on craigslist for 450 right now
Still gonna need a bottle with this right? Or am I missing something?
Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a welder. Suggestions...?   Looking for a welder. Suggestions...? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 12:11 am

Well, this will only weld up to 1/8" on mig (shielding gas), it will welds up to 1/4" on flux core wire. It won't look as good but will do the job for most. The reason we were recommending the 220 machine is being able to weld 3/16 or 1/4" with mig wire with sheilding gas. It's easier to weld (atleast for me) with mig than it is flux core.
Back to top Go down
Hutch
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Hutch

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a welder. Suggestions...?   Looking for a welder. Suggestions...? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 12:24 am

TxCrawler wrote:
Well, this will only weld up to 1/8" on mig (shielding gas), it will welds up to 1/4" on flux core wire...
Didn't realize that. It's only been about 20 years since I've done any welding, I remember very little.
Back to top Go down
MudHound
Got No Life
Got No Life
MudHound

Number of posts : 1323
Rig : 97 TJ
specs. : Part TJ, Part JK, Part CJ, Part K30.....The hell?
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a welder. Suggestions...?   Looking for a welder. Suggestions...? Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009, 1:18 am

I'm also looking at getting a welder (trying not to hyjack) but is there a break down for what u can get for like $500, $750, ect?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a welder. Suggestions...?   Looking for a welder. Suggestions...? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for a welder. Suggestions...?
Page 1 of 1