MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which CB package or other suggestions?

Go down 
+5
Hutch
redneckhouston
akonius
N2rock
texas2386
9 posters
AuthorMessage
texas2386
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
texas2386

Number of posts : 72
Rig : '09 Wrangler Sahara
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Which CB package or other suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jan 2010, 1:41 am

I already posted this on jeepforum but figured ya'll would have some more insight. I am buying a CB and have no idea which one...I found two package deals but I have also been told to piece it together on my own...suggestions?!

First one is:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_11.htm

Second one is:
http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_CB_AllinOne_kit.htm

I have also been told to just get the Cobra 19 from wal-mart and a firestick from a truck stop...
Like I said, I have no idea...thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jan 2010, 10:35 am

Well. I have not had much luck with the Cobra 75. I'm on my 2nd one now, and have an issue with it gettting PTT Hang when it gets hot. That being said, I have never heard of anyone else having this issue with it. And I really like the Cobra 75. Just wish I had better luck.

Of the 2 setups you posted, I would take the Cooltech one. That Cooltech license plate mount is a bit of a PITA to mount- I did it on my JK and on Skoalman's JK. It is a nice clean setup.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jan 2010, 12:51 pm

OK...to throw in another option to your selections...using the Cobra 19 ($35) and BTW, that radio works great - I've had it for a while now and it always works great on the trail...also has a PA jack in the back if you want to add in a PA speaker (which I also did for fun!).

The mount I use is the Arizona Rocky Road Antenna Mount. Reason I like it is that it bolt's to the rear tailgate where you're tire carrier bolts are and it places the antenna "over" the roof of your Jeep - so you get better rec/trans. Also, it is VERY solid. They sell the mount by itself for $24 or you can get a kit (which I did) that sells for $85...it comes with the antenna mount, 4' Firestik II antenna and Coax line for the CB (includes shipping). SO...for about $120 - you get a great CB/tenna setup.

Check out the site and look at the JK options and packages...

http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/antennamounts.html

Which CB package or other suggestions? 600_DSC01514JEEP4

Which CB package or other suggestions? CBmount002_360x480
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jan 2010, 1:51 pm

ok here is my input coming from someone who has been into CB's for over 15 years.

I know they are big but go with a Cobra 25 or 29 they are the best bet for you money. they will always work and if something ever goes wrong they can be fixed to new very cheap and easy. The Cobra 75 is a P.O.S., the Cobra 19 is ok but not much power it can not be peeked and tooned for a crap and they do not have good range.

The Xtreeme value CB is nothing but an over priced Cobra 19. Don't buy from Quad. Go to your local Truck stop and buy one there. you can pick up a great Cobra 25 for 65.00 bucks!

Thats just my input. I can also send you to Premo, the CB guy if you need more input

as for a mount you can also pick up a nice mount at the truck stop for 9.99 and bolt it onto your spare tire rack, trust me on this the 9.99 mount works well. I have had one on my jeep for 3 years and know truckers who have had the same mount running on their trucks for years.

Jen (oops I was logged in as G)
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
Hutch
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Hutch

Number of posts : 524
Rig : Black '07 Unlimited X
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jan 2010, 2:41 pm

For me the 75 is great. I have not had any problems with mine & when I'm not on the trail, it is unplugged and in the house.
If you are going to be using it a lot probably not the way to go. If you just want a way to communicate on the occasional wheeling trip and dont want a unit taking up cab space, cant beat it.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon 01 Feb 2010, 12:08 am

I have the cobra 75 with a 3' firestik and it works great for me on the trail. have not had it tuned tho so it could be better. those packages seem waaaaay overpriced. I got the CB for about $75.00 shipped and the firestik for about $25.00 shipped. cable & mounts from radioshack about $15 - $20.00.
Back to top Go down
texas2386
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
texas2386

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon 01 Feb 2010, 2:09 am

How high past the roof does the 4' antenna stick up with the rocky road mount?
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

Number of posts : 697
Rig : 2010 JK unlimited
specs. : changing daily...
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon 01 Feb 2010, 6:38 pm

Here's my install write-up. It works great. My SWRs are low and tx/rx are good too. Like Jennie said, the cobra 29 is large and bulky, but VERY reliable and the mounts, antenna, and coax came in a kit at the local truck parts dealership for something like 20 bucks. It was a dual mount setup, so now I have an extra antenna incase I break one on the trail.

http://www.myjeepforum.net/write-up-s-how-to-s-f11/my-cb-and-antenna-install-t2760.htm
Back to top Go down
texas2386
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
texas2386

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue 02 Feb 2010, 2:11 am

Ok, more dumb questions....what are the SWR's? Also, I looked at the Rocky Road package and it's gonna end up costing $98.97 with shipping....is this decent for the mount, antenna, and coax? Im probably just gonna end up getting the Cobra 19 because I wont be using it all the time. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue 02 Feb 2010, 2:29 am

standing wave ratio (SWR) is the ratio of the amplitude of a partial standing wave at an antinode (maximum) to the amplitude at an adjacent node (minimum).

Basically, size of your transmission (tx) waves along the coax and antenna as measured against the ground plane (your Jeep)

I assume that in College Station, you live close enough to the highway to be neer a truck stop, Hopefully with a cb shop. They will have a SWR meter and for a small fee will tune your cb. If not, perhaps someone near you may have one. It's pretty important to have your SWRs set. not doing this can lead to burning up your cbs guts and having to replace it. Not to mention the fact that you wont have much in the way of transmission range.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue 02 Feb 2010, 11:32 am

GULF COAST PIRATE wrote:
standing wave ratio (SWR) is the ratio of the amplitude of a partial standing wave at an antinode (maximum) to the amplitude at an adjacent node (minimum).

oh god !!! highschool physics and math coming back to haunt me. those teachers were right, you do use that stuff in the real world !!
sine, cosine, tangent ..... Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_mad
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue 02 Feb 2010, 11:51 am

LOL, I'm a storage space for useless knowledge. Honestly, I use that stuff more helping my kids do their homework than in "real life"...

Besides, the real world is on the trails, the rest is just the shit that happens before and after...
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue 02 Feb 2010, 12:41 pm

Power....more power!
Back to top Go down
texas2386
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
texas2386

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue 02 Feb 2010, 11:43 pm

So it's a pretty easy install? And I don't think there is a truck stop anywhere near but I will be around some areas that have them the next few weekends. I'm about to pull the trigger on the rocky road package. One last question, is the additional speaker really needed or will the sound from the cb be loud enough as is?
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeWed 03 Feb 2010, 12:35 am

Depends on the cb. I got an external and hid it under the cover above my head when I'm driving. just cut a slot out of the foam. yeah, Its pretty simple.
Back to top Go down
texas2386
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
texas2386

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeWed 03 Feb 2010, 7:46 pm

Ok thanks again for all the help guys
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeFri 05 Feb 2010, 12:53 am

texas2386 wrote:
How high past the roof does the 4' antenna stick up with the rocky road mount?

I think about 3'...or so. I added a 4" spring to it for flex - so that adds some to it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
outcast
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
outcast

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2010-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Feb 2010, 12:50 pm

Honestly, I have a Midland 75-822 Handheld. It works like a champ within a mile, which is more than enough for me. I have nothing installed - I just plug it into the Cig lighter and use the included whip antennae. I could always get a bigger whip for more distance (my original plan) but this one works just fine. Since my jeep is a DD, it is nice to not have a CB poking around when I don't need it.

Which CB package or other suggestions? Midland%2075-822%20cb2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which CB package or other suggestions?   Which CB package or other suggestions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which CB package or other suggestions?
Page 1 of 1