MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

steering wheel off center?

Go down 
+5
justinajeep
Hutch
Mr.RonGilbert
jeff.lyon3
Bizarro
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Number of posts : 614
Rig : Yellow '08 JK 4 door
specs. : 3" Teraflex lift, 35x12.5x17 KM2
Registration date : 2009-02-14

steering wheel off center? Empty
PostSubject: steering wheel off center?   steering wheel off center? Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec 2009, 2:11 pm

I think my steering wheel is off center by about 5-10 degrees. It is hard to tell because many roads seem slanted from the middle of the street to the right side curb for drainage and my steering wheel is off to the left. But after watching it is pretty consistant no matter the street. Will an adjustable trackbar correct this?
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel off center?   steering wheel off center? Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec 2009, 2:20 pm

You can adjust the drag link. Need a 15 metric wrench. Takes about 5 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel off center?   steering wheel off center? Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec 2009, 2:35 pm

jdldx3 wrote:

yup..... mine was off enough to throw the EAS/BAS light... a couple of turns and an eyeball on the steering wheel while on flat ground with the wheels perfectly straight and I was good to go.
Back to top Go down
Hutch
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Hutch

Number of posts : 524
Rig : Black '07 Unlimited X
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel off center?   steering wheel off center? Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec 2009, 9:56 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
jdldx3 wrote:

yup..... mine was off enough to throw the EAS/BAS light... a couple of turns and an eyeball on the steering wheel while on flat ground with the wheels perfectly straight and I was good to go.
Yup. Just fixed mine this weekend.
Back to top Go down
justinajeep
Poster child
Poster child
justinajeep

Number of posts : 388
Rig : 2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ
specs. : 2" budget lift with rough country shocks
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel off center?   steering wheel off center? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009, 11:59 am

mine is upside down but it use to be sideways I me and another guy tried the drag link and it made the tires straight but the steering wheel is up side down now...someone told me I could pull the steering wheel off and turn it right side up has anyone ever done that?
Back to top Go down
http://outlawjeep.webs.com/
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel off center?   steering wheel off center? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009, 6:51 pm

justinajeep wrote:
mine is upside down but it use to be sideways I me and another guy tried the drag link and it made the tires straight but the steering wheel is up side down now...someone told me I could pull the steering wheel off and turn it right side up has anyone ever done that?

Try the drag link again. park the jeep on level ground with the wheels facing straight ahead. turn the draglink adjustment and have someone sit behind the wheel to let you know how the steering wheel is responding to the adjustments. you can do it with one person, but takes longer.
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel off center?   steering wheel off center? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009, 7:22 pm

Sounds like you turned the adjustment the wrong way. if you put it back the way it was...and go that much again it should be close. If you think about the steering geometry it actually works backwards because of the trailing rear wheels. When you correct one way, the rear will follow to self-correct itself. If this confuses you more i'm sorry. The clock spring in the column makes the turn the wheel thing a bad idea...center needs to stay center.
Back to top Go down
Chuck

Chuck

Number of posts : 8
Rig : 2009 JK Unlimited X Black
specs. : this, that, dents and scratches
Registration date : 2009-12-03

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel off center?   steering wheel off center? Icon_minitimeMon 21 Dec 2009, 11:03 am

My steering wheel jumps off center after each wheeling trip. 5-10 degrees in either direction...sometimes re-centering itself.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel off center?   steering wheel off center? Icon_minitimeMon 21 Dec 2009, 11:18 am

Chuck wrote:
My steering wheel jumps off center after each wheeling trip. 5-10 degrees in either direction...sometimes re-centering itself.

There is an idea..... just run all the trails in reverse and you should be good....
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel off center?   steering wheel off center? Icon_minitimeMon 21 Dec 2009, 9:00 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
Chuck wrote:

There is an idea..... just run all the trails in reverse and you should be good....

steering wheel off center? Lol
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel off center?   steering wheel off center? Icon_minitimeTue 22 Dec 2009, 7:36 am

ok...now that was sillay!
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel off center?   steering wheel off center? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

steering wheel off center?
Page 1 of 1