MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Door lock problems

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
FastBob
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
FastBob

Number of posts : 56
Rig : 2005 Khaki 2 door Unlimited Rubicon
specs. : not enough :)
Registration date : 2012-05-22

Door lock problems Empty
PostSubject: Door lock problems   Door lock problems Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jul 2012, 1:24 pm

Ok guys and gals...my drivers side door lock was sticking a bit, so i pulled the door skin off, and lubed up the linkages about 3 months ago.

Yesterday, the mechanism was acting up, but before i had the chance to get back into it, the darn thing stopped working all together. Now i cant get the door open to pull the skin and access the linkages again.

Anyone have any ideas on how to open the door? LOL
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

Door lock problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock problems   Door lock problems Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jul 2012, 6:20 pm

Suspect Good one!!!! Without popping the lock I can't think of anything!!!!
Back to top Go down
FastBob
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
FastBob

Door lock problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock problems   Door lock problems Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jul 2012, 12:14 pm

I managed to get the door skin off, no easy task with the door closed...LOL I have access to the lock mechanism now and the linkages, have lubed all up and still the latch actuator, (which i havent identified yet) refuses to pop the latch holding door closed...
Back to top Go down
FastBob
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
FastBob

Door lock problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock problems   Door lock problems Icon_minitimeMon 23 Jul 2012, 12:51 pm

okay, got the door to pop open. it appears that the locking rod or cylinder has some play in it. will have to keep door skin off and window open for now, but at least i am not climbing over the passenger seat. I have to force the locking assembly past what feels like its' stop to allow the latch to operate. i may run it by the dealership and ask the techs what the solution is.
Back to top Go down
FastBob
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
FastBob

Door lock problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock problems   Door lock problems Icon_minitimeWed 25 Jul 2012, 6:02 pm

has eased up on the amount of pressure needed a little, but after 5 or 6 separate looks into it, i cannot identify anything binding yet. Will continue and diagram once i finger it out Smile
Back to top Go down
FastBob
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
FastBob

Door lock problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock problems   Door lock problems Icon_minitimeTue 31 Jul 2012, 1:05 pm

Well, i solved this problem. After not seeing any binding linkages, and no other visible issue i was left with one choice...

I disconnected all 4 linkages from the latch and pulled it out. The lock linkage clips were pretty easy to manipulate, but the door handle linkage clips were a bit more of a challenge. I ended up grasping the clip with needle nose, and "popping" the threaded ends of the rods out with a flat head. Worked with no visible damage.

It was a pretty tight fit, but do-able with the window all the way up. The latch actually has to be lifted higher in the door then wiggle-rotated out of place. Once in my hand, i could see that while the areas i had hit with the brake parts cleaner and liquid wrench appeared clean, the whole inside of the latch mechanism was pretty grimy.

Gave it a good once over from every angle with the solvent while working the linkage points manually, and it suddenly started working again...imagine that...LOL

Gave it a good coating of the lube, and re-installed that sucker, and it (knock on wood) seems to be functioning properly again with distinct sounds as it locks and unlocks. I may just pull the passenger door latch this weekend and give it a good PM as well...

Hope this never happens to y'all, but i think most of the grime was sand from PINS that made it past the window slider and into the door so perhaps this post will help someone in the future Smile

Cheers! cheers2

Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Door lock problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock problems   Door lock problems Icon_minitimeTue 31 Jul 2012, 2:59 pm

Nicely done.
Back to top Go down
FastBob
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
FastBob

Door lock problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock problems   Door lock problems Icon_minitimeTue 31 Jul 2012, 5:02 pm

Thanks! it was a HUGE pain in the you know what, but past is past...next issue please...LOL
Back to top Go down
Duke
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Duke

Number of posts : 477
Rig : JEEP
Registration date : 2008-04-13

Door lock problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock problems   Door lock problems Icon_minitimeTue 31 Jul 2012, 5:26 pm

Good job resolving the issue.....but a more permanent way to resolve the issue is to simple loose the doors completely. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Door lock problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door lock problems   Door lock problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Door lock problems
Page 1 of 1