MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Big Bend Ranch State Park

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

Number of posts : 481
Rig : 1986 CJ7
specs. : Not Much
Registration date : 2011-02-06

Big Bend Ranch State Park Empty
PostSubject: Big Bend Ranch State Park   Big Bend Ranch State Park Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jan 2013, 6:55 pm

Ray Ingram and I are planning a trip to Big Bend State Park. He and I scouted it out on our last annual Big Bend National Park trip and found it worthy of a dedicated trip to see the rest of it. We have set the dates in stone and they are as follows.

Leave San Antonio Saturday May 11
Travel to Terlingua and stay the night.

Sunday May 12 leave Terlingua and head into the park.
Arrive in the park mid morning early afternoon.
Check in, set up camp, whatever anyone needs to do to get setteled.

Wheel a little to get warmed up.

Monday May 13 - Wednesday May 15 Wheel the park

Ray and Mary will be leaving sometime Wednesday May 15. I there is interest to stay another day or two I can stay through the weekend. However if not, i will be headed back Thursday May 16 in the morning.

I must strees for those who have never been. This is a very primative, desolate area in the Chihuahuan Desert. The park headquarters are approximately 30 miles off paved road at times needing minor 4x4 to get to. You MUST carry in suficient food, water, and gas to last the whole time you are there, and sefficient gas to make it back to Lajitas. THERE ARE NO SERVICES PAST LAJITAS, no gas, food,no water. The visitors center has a few sodas. They also supply ice for a donation.

Secondly this is the desert. You must be prepared with sufficient water on the trails. Ray and I found we were fairly dehydrated after just one day, and I was chugging water and gatorade. I just want everyone to be prepared as the closest supplies are over an hour away.

This is one of the most amazing places I have been. The scenary is like nothing i have ever seen. The trails are not maintained and are better then any trails I have ever seen. The park is over 400 square miles and have trails everywhere. There is no way we will even put a dent in the park on one trip. For the campers, there are endless places to camp. The trip up there through the mountains is absolutely awesome. This trip is a must.

We will be traveling HWY 90 through Del Rio. We will probably travel through the National Park to Terlingua.

The planning for this trip is in it's early stages. Post up if you would like to join, you wont regret this experiance. I welcome anyone interested in joining us. If anyone has any questions about anything feel free to contact me by phone.

Shane Rominger
830-832-6449

Back to top Go down
https://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i399/shanerominger/
Ingramsatx
Poster child
Poster child
Ingramsatx

Number of posts : 251
Rig : 2006 TJ
specs. : More money than I care to admit.
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Big Bend Ranch State Park   Big Bend Ranch State Park Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jan 2013, 12:54 am

I'm already looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

Number of posts : 292
Rig : '08 Black JKU Rubi
specs. : Loaded with two carseats!!!
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Big Bend Ranch State Park   Big Bend Ranch State Park Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jan 2013, 11:31 am

We are going to the National Park in mid-April. We already have reservations at the lodge otherwise I'd think about changing our plans.

Any recommendations for the National Park?
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: Big Bend Ranch State Park   Big Bend Ranch State Park Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jan 2013, 12:22 pm

Old Ore road from the south to the north, should take you about 5 hours, lots of scenery. at the end the paved road is to the left. but take a right and go down that trail, cant remember the name off hand. it calls for 4x4 but only because of the soft dirt. very scenic.

Glen Springs road from the north to the south,take a right at the intersection of Black Gap. Will intersect with River Road, take a left. Should take about six hours.

River Road. This is approximately 60 miles long, will take all day. Depending on the current rain fall it could be a breeze, or nearly impassable. either way, lots of fun a very scenic.

Paint Gap road. very short, but quite rough and fun. One way in got to turn around and come out the way you went in. four miles round trip but could take up to two hours to complete

The east side of the park is primarily for off roading. the west side is for hikers.

Cant quite remember the name of the Canyons, Ray will chime in and tell you, they are on the south west corner of the park. the drive there is unbelievable and the canyons are gourgous. got to stop by and see them.
Back to top Go down
Ingramsatx
Poster child
Poster child
Ingramsatx

PostSubject: Re: Big Bend Ranch State Park   Big Bend Ranch State Park Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jan 2013, 9:54 am

Santa Eleana Canyon. If you run river road from the Rio Grande Campgroud west, you will eventually come to a paved road (approximately 60 miles.) Turn left and go to the canyon. Very scenic.

If you can't run River Road (or if you're in a Hummer) you can take paved roads to the canyon.

Either way, enjoy the trip. Have a Shiner for me.

Ray
Back to top Go down
Ingramsatx
Poster child
Poster child
Ingramsatx

PostSubject: Re: Big Bend Ranch State Park   Big Bend Ranch State Park Icon_minitimeSun 27 Jan 2013, 5:25 pm

For those of you that might be interested, attached are photos from our scouting expedition last year. Most of the photos are from the state park with some from the national park.

You may notice how green the desert is in the photos. We were there after a heavy rain. I seriously doubt we will see it green in May.

As Shane stated, the state park is very primitive, challenging and rewarding.

One thing is for sure - you will have a good time.

Ray

https://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb392/Ray_Ingram/Big%20Bend%20-%20November%202011/Big%20Bend%20National%20Park%20-%20Big%20Bend%20Ranch%20State%20Park/
Back to top Go down
rlogan
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
rlogan

Number of posts : 138
Rig : '10 JK Unlimited
specs. : Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Big Bend Ranch State Park   Big Bend Ranch State Park Icon_minitimeSun 03 Feb 2013, 12:29 am

Pretty sure I am going to have to get in on this...
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: Big Bend Ranch State Park   Big Bend Ranch State Park Icon_minitimeSun 03 Feb 2013, 9:57 am

Yes, it will be an adventure. Would like to see a few go with us.
Back to top Go down
Ingramsatx
Poster child
Poster child
Ingramsatx

PostSubject: Re: Big Bend Ranch State Park   Big Bend Ranch State Park Icon_minitimeTue 02 Apr 2013, 4:14 pm

Bump
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: Big Bend Ranch State Park   Big Bend Ranch State Park Icon_minitimeTue 16 Apr 2013, 9:37 pm

Last bump before the event. It will be a blast if anyone can manage to join.
Back to top Go down
rlogan
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
rlogan

Number of posts : 138
Rig : '10 JK Unlimited
specs. : Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Big Bend Ranch State Park   Big Bend Ranch State Park Icon_minitimeThu 18 Apr 2013, 1:43 pm

Looks like I am probably taking a job that will require me to be in Houston for most of the month of May. Not happy that I will have to miss this, but the new job is a step in the right direction for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Bend Ranch State Park   Big Bend Ranch State Park Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big Bend Ranch State Park
Page 1 of 1