MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP

Go down 
+3
jeeperjennie
Mr.RonGilbert
skoalman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP   BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 2:02 pm

skoalman wrote:
Unfortunately, the nude beach is still there. But now it is inhabited by old gay men, no women. I got two weenies wagged at me yesterday. I guess I am kinda cute in my Rubi....... affraid

They didnt know that you like them "taped and tucked".... that plus Brazilian anyway.
Back to top Go down
skoalman
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
skoalman

Number of posts : 525
Rig : Black Unlimited Rubicon
specs. : Starting to add stuff now.....
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP   BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 12:57 pm

Unfortunately, the nude beach is still there. But now it is inhabited by old gay men, no women. I got two weenies wagged at me yesterday. I guess I am kinda cute in my Rubi....... affraid

Anyway, I am down for Matagorda. If/when Bolivar comes back, I will be back. Until then, I think Matagorda is the place.
Back to top Go down
CRUX
Forum-ban-hammer-er
CRUX

Number of posts : 3197
Rig : 2007 JK RUBI unlimited
specs. : 3.5 Rock Krawler X-factor mid arm
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP   BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 10:47 am

Thanks Todd. Sounds like Matagorda is da place.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruzcreation.com
Swamprat
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Swamprat

Number of posts : 496
Rig : '03 TJ Rubicon, '56 willys truck, '47 CJ-2A , '53 CJ-3B/blazer
Registration date : 2008-11-17

PostSubject: Re: BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP   BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 10:40 am

wow.. Its hard to believe the beach i grew up on is like it is now.. was the beer store (Shell) still standin by the main entrance to crystal?

we used to always get on the beach in Port Aurthor and wheel to crystal .. that was some good wheelin in some spots.. ESPECIALLY washed out 87.. lol and the nude beach 1/2 way between Mcfaddin and high island was no myth.. that scarred me and my buddies for life.. lol

so crystal is a no go ?

can it be done with a tent and plenty of "off" if I wanted to make an adventure out of it?

matagorda is fine with me . i never been there..
Back to top Go down
JK-fredd0
Got No Life
Got No Life
JK-fredd0

Number of posts : 812
Rig : 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP   BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 10:09 am

anyone got a matagorda report?
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP   BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 7:47 am

Sounds like Matagorda is a better option for us.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

Number of posts : 2929
specs. : Ahhhhh Missing A Few Parts!
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP   BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP Icon_minitimeFri 10 Apr 2009, 9:27 pm

wow I would like to go down there to take pics, we were gonna go tomorrow but other things came up, maybe we will go on Thursday.

Thanks for the update!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockrash4x4.com
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP   BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP Icon_minitimeFri 10 Apr 2009, 6:59 pm

That is what I was afraid of..... thanks for the recon Skoal, real sad. That place got hit harder than NO and you didnt hear any of that crap that you heard from over there. I spend several days digging through debris with my nose clogged with skeeters... have some bad memories about that place. I hope that it rebounds, gonna be a while though.

As far as the debris piles go FEMA is done... after everything is checked for hazardous materials and victims it is left to the land owners to mess with. They have to haul it off or burn it.
Back to top Go down
skoalman
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
skoalman

Number of posts : 525
Rig : Black Unlimited Rubicon
specs. : Starting to add stuff now.....
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP   BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP Icon_minitimeFri 10 Apr 2009, 6:17 pm

Ok, here is my Bolivar trip report from today. Will post pictures later.

I went down I-10 to Winnie…then 124 to thru High Island to 87 and the beach. Once I got to the beach I turned left towards Port Arthur. The black top goes for about 1 mile before it is really cracked up. At this point, you are driving on mostly sand. Went down almost to McFaddin NWR. Beach driving was the same as before Ike, but very little beach to drive on. The dunes are all gone, and a high tide would completely inundate the beach. Turned around at that point and headed back to Crystal Beach.

Back on 87, headed back down the peninsula towards Galveston. I was really surprised that there was not much difference in the scenery between September and now. Some of the debris has been cleaned up on the south side of 87, but the north side still has destroyed houses, cars, trash and debris everywhere. The bridge at Rollover Pass has been fixed to a degree, with two lanes open. Got to Crystal Beach and it pretty looked like it did after the storm. There were no houses in the streets and some clean up had begun, but really no infrastructure has come back. There are 4 restaurants, with only one being really a sit down type place. The others are like travel trailers that you order from a window and eat outside. The only gas station sometimes has gas and sometimes not. There are no hotels. The trailer parks are all full of contractors and their workers. The water is safe to drink again. There is one grocery store that has limited items and another grocery store that somebody is running out of a little travel trailer. The ferry landing on the Bolivar side only has two landings operational, the same for Galveston side. TXDOT is only running two ferries at a time. This leads to waits in the Ferry line of from anywhere to 2 to 3 hours at peak times. This is in the morning when all the contractors are coming over to work on houses, to sometimes 9 at night when they are all leaving to go back and fill the hotels in Galveston or Texas City.

The beach itself looks pretty good. I drove all the way from where our house used to be on Boyt road down past The Biscayne. There were only a few bad spots, and most of the drive could have been done in a car. Again, all the dunes in this area are gone. The beach is so flat here as well that a high tide would probably go into the neighborhoods or flood your tent and/or vehicle.

After seeing how things are now, compared to what they looked like right after the storm, I figure it will be another 3 or 4 years before Bolivar even comes close to being what it used to be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP   BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BOLIVAR FACT FINDING TRIP
Page 1 of 1