MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bolivar beach run

Go down 
+7
rob7765
jeeperjennie
CRUX
N2rock
DangerMouse
potlickinpirate
Bizarro
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Number of posts : 614
Rig : Yellow '08 JK 4 door
specs. : 3" Teraflex lift, 35x12.5x17 KM2
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jan 2010, 11:50 pm

Late last night I saw a post on JKO about a group going across the Galveston ferry to Bolivar Peninsula that was meeting at noon. It was perfect timing. I joined them and had a blast. I never been across that ferry before or to Bolivar. What was left of Hwy 87 looked like it was post apocolyptic! We drove for about 2.5 hours off road then hit civilization at a public beach. Decided it would be more fun to turn around instead of trying to find a hwy route back. So about 2 hours later we are back to the beginning. The other 3 jeeps split off before the ferry heading back to Houston. I went back on the ferry to get back to League City and arrived at 8pm.

We met another JK at that public beach. He was the guy who owned the jeep that was stuck on the beach and got washed out when the high tide came in. He had a new JK now with super swamper boggers so that will never happen again. I invited him and all the others from JKO and JKF to this forum.

I tested out my CB. With no tuning it worked suprisingly well. It could still be tweaked because the distance wasn't great.
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing
Registration date : 2009-09-04

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 12:08 am

Sounds like a ball!
Back to top Go down
DangerMouse
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
DangerMouse

Number of posts : 666
Rig : 2005 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition
specs. : Pro Comp lift, soft 8 wheels, 33x13.5x15 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 8:23 am

A beach run!!! We need to set up a trip to PINS soon Bolivar beach run Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 9:04 am

I've always wanted to do the old Hwy 87 run. But I want to do the entire run- takes a full day I believe. We should set that up sometime soon
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
CRUX
Forum-ban-hammer-er
CRUX

Number of posts : 3197
Rig : 2007 JK RUBI unlimited
specs. : 3.5 Rock Krawler X-factor mid arm
Registration date : 2008-01-24

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 10:31 am

Thanks for the heads up! Bolivar beach run 623216
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruzcreation.com
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 10:39 am

[img]http://www.myjeepforum.net/Bolivar beach run Boliva10[/img]

I didn't take my camera but some others did. There are pics on JKO in the Texas section. Here is one I stole. Apparently we went about 22 miles and back.
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

Number of posts : 2929
specs. : Ahhhhh Missing A Few Parts!
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 11:37 am

sounds like you guys had fun!

We did that whole run twice last summer and had a blast doing it. In June it was just me G and Ally. When we went back in July Timmay joined us.

I love Bolivar and we make it a point to go every summer no matter what.

Steve, yes it is an all day ride but a great ride, let us know when you want to do it and we are in for sure!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockrash4x4.com
rob7765

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 8:33 pm

You want the high res version of that image? The ones posted I downsized them for the web.

Had a good time. We should have started earlier so we could have met up with the rest of the road on the other side of the park.
Back to top Go down
Hutch
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Hutch

Number of posts : 524
Rig : Black '07 Unlimited X
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010, 9:30 pm

jeeperjennie wrote:

We did that whole run twice last summer and had a blast doing it. In June it was just me G and Ally. When we went back in July Timmay joined us.

Steve, yes it is an all day ride but a great ride, let us know when you want to do it and we are in for sure!

I'd like to do this run when it warms up. Maybe that should be the beach run this year...
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010, 8:57 am

Hutch wrote:
jeeperjennie wrote:

I'd like to do this run when it warms up. Maybe that should be the beach run this year...

Well from what I've heard... 1) you want to do this run while it is still a bit cool. Running it in the heat is not enjoyable. and 2) you want to keep the group size small- a large group makes it very difficult to complete the run. Notice these guys did not complete the run.

I'm thinking a small group of us, sometime in March
Back to top Go down
rob7765

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010, 11:02 am

We didn't complete it because we started so late. We didn't hit the beach until 1:30. You really need to get an earlier start if you are going to go the whole way. I agree you wouldn't want to do this mid summer. We had 4 Jeeps which was a good size group.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010, 1:01 pm

AH- yes 1:30 would be too late of a start. But 4 would be a good number.
Back to top Go down
SASQUATCH
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2009-10-31

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010, 5:04 pm

Summer beach runs are no different than just going to the beach during the summer, it's hot, so is anywhere else around here during the summer. In the summer heading east from High Island you'll hit a circus freak nude beach area with a bunch of Chris Hansen pedophiles, so might want to hide your kids eyes for a few hundred yards. There are some cool places midway down to wheel when the tide is out, funky clay/sand mix cratered moon surface, crazy flex area! Just don't go alone, get stuck and lose your rig when the tide comes in.

Once you get far enough east closer to the Sabine Pass public beach area there are some huge lateral concrete washout obstacles that you "can" but are "not" supposed to climb. Also if you go with a big enough group you are "supposed" to call Tx Parks & Wildlife (I think it was) and let them know you're doing a run on a particular date. Couple years back we had about 15 Jeeps stopped by TP&W and every vehicle lightly searched, all the drivers talked to one by one by TP&W. They told us quote" we're worried you're going to cross the barbwire fence and wheel the cattle grounds". Pretty stupid since we were all on the road beside the fence. We were then told that TTORA had been caught wheeling in the cattle grounds, of course we told them we had Jeeps not Toyotas and not part of their club. Last and most bizarre (think they were just bored and excited to find someone out there) the head officer I guess, told us we were not supposed to be on the main traverse road beside the beach (that they stopped us on & only way to drive if you're not in a 4x4 basically). Then he told us we couldn't be on that particular section of beach either (moon cratered area previously mentioned), so we asked him how do we traverse any direction then? He just had this stupid look on his face and told us to have a nice day and be safe. Whatever, just a heads up!
Back to top Go down
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010, 6:55 pm

There was a naked dude hiding behind his truck. I didn't see him but others did thru the rear view mirror as we passed.

I finally got most of the mud off my jeep today. I got a lot of strange looks when I was in line to drop my son off for school. They normally help the kids out of the cars but not this time with my mudmobile. As much fun as mud is and I really starting to hate cleaning up after it. Don't get me wrong, I am ready to go again.
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010, 9:42 pm

bolivar ferry run sounds cool
Back to top Go down
skoalman
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
skoalman

Number of posts : 525
Rig : Black Unlimited Rubicon
specs. : Starting to add stuff now.....
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitimeSun 24 Jan 2010, 4:28 am

SASQUATCH wrote:
Summer beach runs are no different than just going to the beach during the summer, it's hot, so is anywhere else around here during the summer. In the summer heading east from High Island you'll hit a circus freak nude beach area with a bunch of Chris Hansen pedophiles, so might want to hide your kids eyes for a few hundred yards. There are some cool places midway down to wheel when the tide is out, funky clay/sand mix cratered moon surface, crazy flex area! Just don't go alone, get stuck and lose your rig when the tide comes in.

Once you get far enough east closer to the Sabine Pass public beach area there are some huge lateral concrete washout obstacles that you "can" but are "not" supposed to climb. Also if you go with a big enough group you are "supposed" to call Tx Parks & Wildlife (I think it was) and let them know you're doing a run on a particular date. Couple years back we had about 15 Jeeps stopped by TP&W and every vehicle lightly searched, all the drivers talked to one by one by TP&W. They told us quote" we're worried you're going to cross the barbwire fence and wheel the cattle grounds". Pretty stupid since we were all on the road beside the fence. We were then told that TTORA had been caught wheeling in the cattle grounds, of course we told them we had Jeeps not Toyotas and not part of their club. Last and most bizarre (think they were just bored and excited to find someone out there) the head officer I guess, told us we were not supposed to be on the main traverse road beside the beach (that they stopped us on & only way to drive if you're not in a 4x4 basically). Then he told us we couldn't be on that particular section of beach either (moon cratered area previously mentioned), so we asked him how do we traverse any direction then? He just had this stupid look on his face and told us to have a nice day and be safe. Whatever, just a heads up!

Correct. Also, the left side of the wire fence is all either private property or the WMA. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/wma/find_a_wma/list/?id=40
Another tidbit: some of that fence is electrified. Don't ask me how I know that one..... Bolivar beach run Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bolivar beach run Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bolivar beach run   Bolivar beach run Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bolivar beach run
Page 1 of 1