MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Regearing questions

Go down 
+9
akonius
MudHound
jeff.lyon3
Maverick1701
redneckhouston
jeeperjennie
Deacon
N2rock
..::Ryan::..
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet

Number of posts : 758
Rig : '08 Rubicon
specs. : 3.25 RC Lift - OR-Fab Stinger
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Regearing questions Empty
PostSubject: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 9:33 am

Where is the best place to get new gears and how much to get them installed front and rear? Probably looking to go 5.13, but please let me know your input. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 9:47 am

what size tires are you running, and are you auto or manual?

Generally- if you have an auto and are running 35's or 37's, you would want 5.13's. Manual and 35's you could go with either 4.88 or 5.13's

Redneckhouston is the man to do the install.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 9:50 am

Auto and 35's (Still need to buy) how much would he charge to install?
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 10:09 am

I don't know what he charges. I had mine done elsewhere- that's a whole other story.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 1:39 pm

What gears do you have now? 4.10's right? If so, then you won't need to set backlash or any of the stuff you'd have to do if you changed carriers, since you can keep the carrier you've got. You may well be able to do it yourself, in other words...
Back to top Go down
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 1:41 pm

I do not think I know enough about it to do it my self...I would end up F-ing something up for sure lol
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

Number of posts : 2929
specs. : Ahhhhh Missing A Few Parts!
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 5:58 pm

Ahhhh you forgot to add "you have to have the tool to do it"

Do you have a press, dial indicater, calpier, and ft/lb and in/lb torque wrench! Not very many people have the tools to do so and on top it that it's not that easly done.

I take it you have done it before right?

Sounds as if you have done just about everything. I guess as a mechanic you feel the need to give ill advice to someone, and as a PI you feel the need to say that work is easy. Let me guess if I talk about my photo's and contests I have entered you will tell me it's easy to get a photo in the national geographic, cause you have done it before and let me guess you even too the pic with your cell phone.

If you don't know what your talking about or how things are really done or how they should be done then shut your mouth! You do not need to comment on everything!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockrash4x4.com
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 6:03 pm

At first I thought that was directed at me and I was like "I said I didn't know how to do any of this...don't make me feel even more stupid", but then I read it again and I lol'd
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 6:09 pm

Deacon wrote:
What gears do you have now? 4.10's right? If so, then you won't need to set backlash or any of the stuff you'd have to do if you changed carriers, since you can keep the carrier you've got. You may well be able to do it yourself, in other words...

HUH??????

for fuck sake deacon, if you have no fawking clue what the fawk your talking about keep your frigging mouth shut.

you wont need to set backlash if you dont change carriers????? thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

go put your fugging dick in a blender.............

gawd statements like that make me mad..

now....ryan.........if you really wanted to do your own gears and could round up the right tools, we could walk you through it...

jk rubi's are about the hardest diff to dissassemble and reassemble, the locker accuator and lock/unlock plunger are hard to remove and reinstall corectly

as far as setup goes.....start reading ...i suggest "differential setup" from randys ring and pinion....pinion depth, backlash and pattern are most important........backlash is effected by pinion depth and the shims on the bearings........the shims have to stay at a contant total stack hieght as the also control bearing preload. each adjustment you make will change the others ......more checking ..........

if you want to do it yourseld give me a call sometime and i can explain it better......

i could do them for ya , but there is a guy here in town that does them cheap....and steve seems to be happy with them
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
Maverick1701
Jack Twist
Maverick1701

Number of posts : 910
Rig : 1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 6x6
specs. : ITS BIG!!!!!
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 6:15 pm

perfect timing! I just got through talking to ben about his plan to swap gears on his JK....going to link him the thread
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.org
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 6:19 pm

redneckhouston wrote:
Deacon wrote:

HUH??????

for fuck sake deacon, if you have no fawking clue what the fawk your talking about keep your frigging mouth shut.

you wont need to set backlash if you dont change carriers????? thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

go put your fugging dick in a blender.............

gawd statements like that make me mad..

now....ryan.........if you really wanted to do your own gears and could round up the right tools, we could walk you through it...

jk rubi's are about the hardest diff to dissassemble and reassemble, the locker accuator and lock/unlock plunger are hard to remove and reinstall corectly

as far as setup goes.....start reading ...i suggest "differential setup" from randys ring and pinion....pinion depth, backlash and pattern are most important........backlash is effected by pinion depth and the shims on the bearings........the shims have to stay at a contant total stack hieght as the also control bearing preload. each adjustment you make will change the others ......more checking ..........

if you want to do it yourseld give me a call sometime and i can explain it better......

i could do them for ya , but there is a guy here in town that does them cheap....and steve seems to be happy with them
I do not want to give it a shot at all...I would rather have someone
that is reliable do it and everyone talks about your top-notch
work...soo how much would it be to get it install by you?
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 6:22 pm

Hey Ryan, if you have never done it I would recommend having someone set up your gears or having someone actually there with you that is experienced to walk you through it. If not set up right it could cost lots of $$$$$ down the road.

Just my $.02
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 6:25 pm

..::Ryan::.. wrote:
At first I thought that was directed at me and I was like "I said I didn't know how to do any of this...don't make me feel even more stupid", but then I read it again and I lol'd

no not twards you at all, just sick of some people constantly giving ill advice. There are just some tings you should leave to the professionals. Would I advise someone of your knowledge and most peoples knowledge to try to work on your vehicle play around learn how things work, but never to try to undertake a project that is way above your head, never try something that most people would not even posess the right tools for.

Gears are not hard to do if you know what you are doing or are advised well by someone who has done them. But it's not easy either, I myself would not even have grears done at a regular garage, thats why there ae shops that specialize in gears and do nothing but gears like 249 drivetrain they do gears all day long everyday and are trusted. Joe blows mechanice shop on the other had does the occasional gear swap on a broke down heep.

Not knowing what your doing can cause you much headach and trouble. setting the backlash just a little bit wrong can leave you stranded, with a busted carrier, broken axle and shattered teeth. The money one would spend re replacing all of this would have simply saved Money, time and headach by just taking it somewhere to have it done.

nuff said sorry for the rant but sometimes you have to get your point across
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 6:29 pm

250 an axle (for labor) + gears and a set up kit......northridge did have a sale going on them but not sure if its still going. I will have to go look at northridges site to see if the sale is still on.
Back to top Go down
MudHound
Got No Life
Got No Life
MudHound

Number of posts : 1323
Rig : 97 TJ
specs. : Part TJ, Part JK, Part CJ, Part K30.....The hell?
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 7:01 pm

Ryan if your looking for a shop in town, I would suggest 4WPs BUT BUT BUT if you don't mind go outta town then go hit up George or where ever N2 went to
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 10:09 pm

redneckhouston wrote:
...there is a guy here in town that does them cheap....and steve seems to be happy with them

for what it's worth...I also had this guy (249Drivetrain - Allen) do my gears and everything is solid. He did a good job for a great price - I'd vouch for him and recommend his work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 10:19 pm

Ryan,

I already have Rubi axles set up with 5.13's, all i need is your stock axles and about $1000. My axles have the poly performance steering correction kit and superlift diff covers. Alot easier to swap axles than it is gears Regearing questions Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 10:26 pm

Well I can't do it right now because I don't have the money. I was going to buy the gears and the following month get them installed.
Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 10:32 pm

No problem, just thought I would throw it out there Regearing questions Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 10:34 pm

TxCrawler wrote:
No problem, just thought I would throw it out there Regearing questions Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 10:34 pm

A friend of mine owns 87gear here in SA, he has gotten me out of many binds. He does clutches, standard trans work, and diffs for the cranes and heavy trucks when I am overwhelmed. He does work on small stuff, prices are fair, and backs up what he does. Give him a call
(210)648-9266 (Eric Robertson) tell him Randy Bigler (me) sent ya

I don't know if he can beat Geo's price...But it don't cost nuttin to find out!
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeThu 08 Oct 2009, 11:52 pm

Yeah, Eric at 87 Gear did my lockers and gears, and everything seems to be ticking along beautifully.
Back to top Go down
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

Number of posts : 1278
Rig : black '07 Rubicon
specs. : 4.5" Long Arm, 35 KM2's
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeFri 09 Oct 2009, 2:02 am

I do believe that this is what the Collins were trying to say:

Deacon
Seasoned Vet
Regearing questions Season10
Regearing questions 285-68

Number of posts: 549
Rig: 2006 Wrangler
Registration date: 2009-07-06

<table border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><tr><td>Regearing questions Icon_minipost1Subject: Re: SA Install Party Regearing questions Icon_minitimeFri 14 Aug 2009, 4:07 pm</TD>
<td class=post-options vAlign=top noWrap>Regearing questions Icon_multiquote_off_en Regearing questions Icon_quote_en </TD></TR>
<tr><td class=hr colSpan=2>
</TD></TR>
<tr><td colSpan=2>+
----
-

I should have a pair of Metalcloak front fenders and 6" flares to install (link) as well as a Super35 kit, 4.88 gears, and an Eaton E-Locker for the rear, but I'm not sure about doing the axles and gears without taking to a professional...</TD></TR></TABLE>

your own words there

...fyi, I only post this because of your reply to Jen on another thread...as she was still rant'n and rave'n...just saying is all

...but hey thats just me
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeFri 09 Oct 2009, 2:17 am

What?
Back to top Go down
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

Number of posts : 1278
Rig : black '07 Rubicon
specs. : 4.5&quot; Long Arm, 35 KM2's
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitimeFri 09 Oct 2009, 9:25 am

Deacon wrote:
What?

was referring to this...

Deacon
Seasoned Vet
Regearing questions Season10
Regearing questions 285-68

Number of posts: 550
Rig: 2006 Wrangler
Registration date: 2009-07-06

<table border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><tr><td>Regearing questions Icon_minipost1Subject: Re: this is funny Regearing questions Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:48 pm</TD>
<td class=post-options vAlign=top noWrap>Regearing questions Icon_multiquote_off_en Regearing questions Icon_quote_en </TD></TR>
<tr><td class=hr colSpan=2>
</TD></TR>
<tr><td colSpan=2>+
----
-

It's really odd to see people who freely acknowledge that they're opinionated assholes get butt-hurt when someone disagrees, and then they carry a petty grudge like it's something personal. And then they let that grudge fuel things where instead of correcting ignorance or honest mistakes civilly, they go fucking nuts.

Fantastic. Exactly what I was hoping for.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regearing questions   Regearing questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Regearing questions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next