MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ingramsatx
Poster child
Poster child
Ingramsatx

Number of posts : 251
Rig : 2006 TJ
specs. : More money than I care to admit.
Registration date : 2009-05-03

BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK Empty
PostSubject: BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK   BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK Icon_minitimeTue 18 Mar 2014, 10:50 pm

Shane Rominger and I will be making our annual Big Bend trip in April (Easter weekend). There have been several requests from folks who want to go with us. The details are as follows. We will meet and wheel on Friday, 4/18. We plan on targeting three specific trails in the national park. We will do Old Ore Road, Glen Springs Road, and River Road. Though this may not seem like much, the shortest of the three is about 20 miles long and takes nearly 5 hours to complete depending on stops and breaks. River Road is over 60 miles and requires a full day. When and how we run these trails will depend on attendance and interest and will be decided just before the event. Dagger Flats is a fun little trail and can be included in the Old Ore Road trail

Shane and I plan on wheeling in the Big Bend Ranch State park on Monday, 4/21. For those of you who have not heard of or visited the state park, it is the most primitive park in the state of Texas. You will have to bring sufficient food, gas and supplies to last the entire time you are there. The road leading to the park is about 27 miles long before you reach the ranger station, and I use the word road loosely. It's actually a dirt road that gets worse as you get further in. It takes over an hour to get to the ranger station once you leave the pavement.

Every trail in the park is unmaintained, high clearance 4X4 trails. Shane and I have been twice. Once for a day visit and the last time we stayed 4 days. It was a blast and we only saw a fraction of the park. It will take numerous visits to see the majority of the park. There are few accommodations in the park. There is a visitors center which sells shirts, stickers, and such. There are also showers at the ranger station. They do provide ice asking only for donations. There are plenty of primitive campsites though out the park.

If for some reason you do forget something, Presidio is the nearest town with supplies and is probably a 4 hours round trip.

If you are interested in going, contact Shane or myself. You have a 4 month lead time so plan accordingly.

Wheeling Big Bend National Park 4/18, 4/10 & 4/20. Running Old Ore Road trail, Glen Springs trail, and River Road. Big Bend State Park 4/21, 4/22/ 4/23.

You now have only one month lead time.
Back to top Go down

BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK
Page 1 of 1